Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I'm not talking about 3G drops but staying on 3G long after I'm in an area with known good LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That sounds like a scan timer issue. A number of factors can affect that, including if a data session is active. 

I tested that a couple weeks ago on a drive to KC. Drove from 3G only area to full LTE coverage with Spotify streaming. It took 45 minutes to switch to LTE. The next week I had no data active. It switched within 3 minutes. 

• Like 1

If the whole 'network controls the connection' thing worked, the network should request and/or force the device to switch to LTE as soon as it hits a tower that has lte enabled.

In other words;

If a device connects via 3g to a tower with known LTE service, the network should tell/request/force that device to hand off to the applicable LTE service, regardless. and *especially* if there is an active data session.

there is *zero* reason why the network should allow an active data session to monopolize/camp on 3g when the network *knows* there is LTE available.

If the whole 'network controls the connection' thing worked, the network should request and/or force the device to switch to LTE as soon as it hits a tower that has lte enabled.

In other words;

If a device connects via 3g to a tower with known LTE service, the network should tell/request/force that device to hand off to the applicable LTE service, regardless. and *especially* if there is an active data session.

there is *zero* reason why the network should allow an active data session to monopolize/camp on 3g when the network *knows* there is LTE available.

That's not how it works. Currently, the tower doors not tell your device what networks are available. Your device tells the network what it is picking up with its scans. If it hasn't had an opportunity to scan, it can't change bands because it didn't know it's there.

Once the device reports what technologies it is picking up, the network can then move it around on different bands.

Sent from my LG G3

right, that fact is why that is part of the problem.

The device should not be required to spend it's limited power and time scanning for lte, when the network should automatically know and direct the device to the most appropriate tower(s) and/or band(s).

Now in instances where the device is in the process of connecting to the network or moving out of signal range before the network can react, then it should fall back to device-based scanning and connect as needed.

The way it currently is, is a failure on the part of the network.

right, that fact is why that is part of the problem.

The device should not be required to spend it's limited power and time scanning for lte, when the network should automatically know and direct the device to the most appropriate tower(s) and/or band(s).

Now in instances where the device is in the process of connecting to the network or moving out of signal range before the network can react, then it should fall back to device-based scanning and connect as needed.

The way it currently is, is a failure on the part of the network.

As far as I know, no network operates in the fashion you describe. I'm not sure, but I don't think it can be done that way.

That sounds like a scan timer issue. A number of factors can affect that, including if a data session is active.

I tested that a couple weeks ago on a drive to KC. Drove from 3G only area to full LTE coverage with Spotify streaming. It took 45 minutes to switch to LTE. The next week I had no data active. It switched within 3 minutes.

Understood. I have most push/pull apps turned to manual. I pay for every drop of data I use since I'm with Ting. I know that I still have a few apps that do poll automatically but my feeling is that since I've gone back to the stock radio for 4.4.4 my N5 is camping on 3G much more than with other radios I've tried.

Understood. I have most push/pull apps turned to manual. I pay for every drop of data I use since I'm with Ting. I know that I still have a few apps that do poll automatically but my feeling is that since I've gone back to the stock radio for 4.4.4 my N5 is camping on 3G much more than with other radios I've tried.

Is it specific areas this happens or is it random? Based on the last report we got, a lot of the urban STL sites are still lacking CSFB on Band 26, or are otherwise undiscoverable which can cause problems with tri-band devices. Band 41 can also cause similar issues if it's provisioned incorrectly. If it's random, not sure what the issue could be.

It doesn't feel random but I haven't been specifically tracking it. So far the worst seems to be I44 until I cross into Illinois. Once I'm on 255 driving North I do not drop LTE. Again this could point to what you were saying about tower spacing and scan time. Since my phone usage pretty much has stayed the same but I have noticed enough of a difference in how often my phone shows 3g versus LTE in areas where I have previously had good and/or usable LTE the new radio appears to be the culprit.

It doesn't feel random but I haven't been specifically tracking it. So far the worst seems to be I44 until I cross into Illinois. Once I'm on 255 driving North I do not drop LTE. Again this could point to what you were saying about tower spacing and scan time. Since my phone usage pretty much has stayed the same but I have noticed enough of a difference in how often my phone shows 3g versus LTE in areas where I have previously had good and/or usable LTE the new radio appears to be the culprit.

I don't agree with the new radio being the culprit. I think the old radios were ignoring network CFSB issues where the new radio seems to place you on the band with the best service making sure you receive calls. A usable LTE band is not "really" usable if it has CFSB problems. Unless you are not concern with receiving calls then I guess the 4.4.4 radio is not the one for you.

I I had strange issue last night where I had my phone plugged in overnight but woke up to 77% battery life. Here is what the battery graph looks like with all kinds of spikes overnight. The phone was on wifi overnight. I don't see any evidence that we have the power outage in the house.

What I thought was weird is that the mobile network signal color bar ends and never comes back including now where I've been off wifi and on a mobile signal for over 2 hours. Any idea what's going on with having no continuation of the mobile network signal bar?

urehe9az.jpg

I I had strange issue last night where I had my phone plugged in overnight but woke up to 77% battery life. Here is what the battery graph looks like with all kinds of spikes overnight. The phone was on wifi overnight. I don't see any evidence that we have the power outage in the house.

What I thought was weird is that the mobile network signal color bar ends and never comes back including now where I've been off wifi and on a mobile signal for over 2 hours. Any idea what's going on with having no continuation of the mobile network signal bar?

-picture-

Do you have another charging cable? It looks like your cable is faulty, or possibly any extension cord/power strip you have it plugged into at night. My original cable started doing that where it'd only charge occasionally because I normally have it sitting a few off the ground on a desk and then the cable angles down towards the ground. Now I got a new cable and everything works fine, I just use the old one for transferring files because my new one doesn't seem to work for that. As for the bar not showing up it's possible that the random stopping and starting of charging(I'm assuming it has happened more than the pictures show, they're just so small you can't see them) has caused the reporting to just go funky. I'd try a reboot first and if that still doesn't work you can either completely discharge the battery and recharge, or factory reset.

I had a similar thing happen last night and had a significant "time without service" issue.

Tower work maybe? Don't they have to shut existing equipment off when they're adding new panels (like 8t8r)?

Ya I'm hoping that's the reason, the closet tower to me has antenna I have never seen before, and I'm pretty sure it's sprint but I haven't had a chance to go get a picture.

Can you PM in me the location?

Google would have to add it to stock android which is unlikely.

Someone already mentioned on this thread that Wi-Fil calling is already built into android.  I think the greater question is whether or not it would work Sprint's current setup, and if it did work with it, would sprint invest the time to implement it to a phone that probably has a pretty low adoption rate on their network?

Someone already mentioned on this thread that Wi-Fil calling is already built into android. I think the greater question is whether or not it would work Sprint's current setup, and if it did work with it, would sprint invest the time to implement it to a phone that probably has a pretty low adoption rate on their network?

I don't see carrier specific changes coming to the Nexus. You can achieve Wi-Fi calling via Google voice, but I doubt it will ever get official Sprint support. Never know though.

Sent from my LG G3

Someone already mentioned on this thread that Wi-Fil calling is already built into android. I think the greater question is whether or not it would work Sprint's current setup, and if it did work with it, would sprint invest the time to implement it to a phone that probably has a pretty low adoption rate on their network?

Android doesn't have Wifi calling. Google voice is the closest you'll get to that.

Android doesn't have Wifi calling. Google voice is the closest you'll get to that.

eh?

dialer > settings > call settings > internet call settings

its not 'sprint wifi' calling, but can and does work over sprint data or wifi service, assuming you have a valid sip server/account.

• Like 1

eh?

its not 'sprint wifi' calling, but can and does work over sprint data or wifi service, assuming you have a valid sip server/account.

Yep, been there since Gingerbread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

eh?

Yep, been there since Gingerbread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SIP is not considered WiFi calling. None of the carriers use SIP for WiFi calling. Whatever the reason for that may be, it must be a good one. I presume it's due to the integration of SIP into the core network. Also, SIP doesn't support text messaging, something WiFi calling does support (at least on sprint).