Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Install the "Voice" app which is GV.  when you launch it, click inbox and change it to voicemail.  there they all are on your screen.  you can even install a widget on your homescreen if you wish which is scrollable.

But I'd rather just have them all on one screen.

Since I live in Puerto Rico I cant use Google Voice, so that leaves me looking for a good voicemail app on the Play Store. First I tried Youmail but didnt like but now I am using Visual Voicemail Plus and so far is working good. Give it a try.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

just walked out of Best Buy with this phone for a total cost of $-5.89 (on a gift card)

I think I'll order a screen protector from amazon (BB doesn't carry any) and use the remaining $5.89 to go towards installation of said screen protector.

Best buy installs screen protectors?

Since I live in Puerto Rico I cant use Google Voice, so that leaves me looking for a good voicemail app on the Play Store. First I tried Youmail but didnt like but now I am using Visual Voicemail Plus and so far is working good. Give it a try.

Why can't you use google voice, not integrated, but using it for voicemail?

For some of the reasons I outlined above.. it's too bloated, it doubles the number of rings for my voicemail to pick up, it logs all of my texts and calls on Google's site. I tried doing that "Google Voice Lite" for voicemail-only, but as soon as I put the app on my phone, it forces it to the full version because it identifies me as a Sprint customer and they have a partnership. Without the app, it's not very convenient to get the messages. I used it for 3 days and the transcription was surprisingly bad, otherwise I would skip the app and just use the text message notifications. Without the app or text transcription, I might as well just use the regular Sprint call-in voicemail.

I realize GV is pretty powerful and has some great features, I just have no need for any of them myself.

-Mike

You can use the app on your phone as a Sprint customer without doing a full integration. I've done that on 2 of my phones personally and my other 3 family members do that as well. All you do when you install the app is hit skip when it gives you the setup choices and it will then install on your phone to be used only as a message retrieval.

Can't help you in terms of it being bloated. I guess that's a personal preference thing.

As far as the issue of it logging your calls and messages, I think you are over blowing that. Every carrier also logs everything you do on your phone the only difference with the Google Voice app is that they show it to you.

• Like 1

So my 16GB Black has shipped, BUT I am leaving for the weekend later tonight and won't be back for the better part of a week!  Of course this would happen.  

Do you guys think it would be best to have them hold the package at UPS for a couple of days, or should I hope that they deliver the package to the main leasing off and not leave it outside my door?

So my 16GB Black has shipped, BUT I am leaving for the weekend later tonight and won't be back for the better part of a week!  Of course this would happen.  

Do you guys think it would be best to have them hold the package at UPS for a couple of days, or should I hope that they deliver the package to the main leasing off and not leave it outside my door?

Have them hold it at UPS. Then you can pick it up when you know you're back.

• Like 1

You can use the app on your phone as a Sprint customer without doing a full integration. I've done that on 2 of my phones personally and my other 3 family members do that as well. All you do when you install the app is hit skip when it gives you the setup choices and it will then install on your phone to be used only as a message retrieval.

Can't help you in terms of it being bloated. I guess that's a personal preference thing.

As far as the issue of it logging your calls and messages, I think you are over blowing that. Every carrier also logs everything you do on your phone the only difference with the Google Voice app is that they show it to you.

Wow, I really appreciate you responding to this thread.  I know I may have been belaboring the point about not wanting to use GV, but that was because I couldn't stand the integration.  When setting up GV for the first time, I never saw the option for skip / didn't understand what it would do...  Just tried this method and it appears to do exactly what you've said.  Only does voicemail and therefore doesn't route all of my calls thru Google.  So far so good.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Have them hold it at UPS. Then you can pick it up when you know you're back.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.  Just didn't want it to get lost at their facility since it will be there for a little bit... You know how UPS is.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Just didn't want it to get lost at their facility since it will be there for a little bit... You know how UPS is.

Faster than filing a lost/stolen claim.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

• Like 2

Best buy installs screen protectors?

I think the question is why use a screen protector when it already has one? It's like installing a bumper on a tank. Use your finger and not your keys on the screen.

• Like 1

Much easier dealing with them losing it than your front office.

Yeah that is what I will do then.  Kinda sucks because I really wanted to test it out at my parents house this weekend.  They are in a fairly rural area and are smack dab in the middle of of two Sprint towers.  Makes getting a signal with my Evo LTE a little rough and I couldn't think of a better test for the N5 lol.

Yeah that is what I will do then. Kinda sucks because I really wanted to test it out at my parents house this weekend. They are in a fairly rural area and are smack dab in the middle of of two Sprint towers. Makes getting a signal with my Evo LTE a little rough and I couldn't think of a better test for the N5 lol.

UPS My Choice -> reroute to new address :)

-Mike

• Like 2

UPS My Choice -> reroute to new address :)

-Mike

I considered it, but I am actually hopping from city to city as I visit relatives so I can't be sure it will be delivered while I am there lol.  I'll just have to suck it up and pick it up when I get back.

You can use the app on your phone as a Sprint customer without doing a full integration ... All you do when you install the app is hit skip when it gives you the setup choices and it will then install on your phone to be used only as a message retrieval.

Thanks for the tip, I will try reinstalling the app and hitting skip instead.

-Mike

• Like 2

Use Imgur.com to post screenshots. You can resize them for message boards for 640x480 resolution. It makes them very nice size without taking up too much space. What is great is that they have an auto-resize option so that when you drag and drop the pictures you want to upload it automatically resizes them for message boards and provides a sharing link for it.

Most of the time I'm reading/posting from tapatalk, though. That sounds too time consuming to do through a phone.

Yes bb installs screen protectors. I think its $8 for phones and maybe $15 for tablets. They have installed prob 6 of them for me.Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Why would you pay $8 to install a screen protector that is only worth maybe $3-5? It's not like trying to install a turbocharger. Just pull it out, pull back the film and slide it on. It's ridiculous that BB would even charge $8 to do something that takes 15 seconds to put on. But then again, they somehow think a screen protector costs $30,too..

Okay never really disliked UPS until now.  I can't have them hold the package without creating a MyChoice account (which I just did). And now it is going to take 2-5 business days to vet the account before I could request anything lol.

Not going to help me much, but at least I am set for next time lol.  I don't think I had this problem with FedEx before...

• Like 1

Why would you pay $8 to install a screen protector that is only worth maybe $3-5? It's not like trying to install a turbocharger. Just pull it out, pull back the film and slide it on. It's ridiculous that BB would even charge $8 to do something that takes 15 seconds to put on. But then again, they somehow think a screen protector costs $30,too..

Gosh the pure profit they are making...  Someone could make a living just installing screen protectors for people lol.

Okay never really disliked UPS until now. I can't have them hold the package without creating a MyChoice account (which I just did). And now it is going to take 2-5 business days to vet the account before I could request anything lol.

Not going to help me much, but at least I am set for next time lol. I don't think I had this problem with FedEx before...

Try calling customer service. It'll ask for a tracking number, but after you enter it you should be able to talk to someone who can change it to a hold/will call.

I did this with a package a few weeks ago, since I didn't trust the mychoice site to get my request in on time.

• Like 1

Try calling customer service. It'll ask for a tracking number, but after you enter it you should be able to talk to someone who can change it to a hold/will call.

I did this with a package a few weeks ago, since I didn't trust the mychoice site to get my request in on time.

I'll try that route.  Thanks for the heads up.