Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Sorry, that came off a little snarky.. I think some other users may be rubbing off on me =D

I can't remember the app Robert recommended. What would be the preferred resolution?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

There are two apps that I've found that are pretty good for editing / resizing while mobile. 

The first is pretty bare bones, but gets the job done, and has quite a few options, this is the one Robert was talking about, Photo Editor: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor

The other has way more features, and a prettier UI, but does come with some internal ads for additional plugins:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aviary.android.feather

• Like 3

Sorry, that came off a little snarky.. I think some other users may be rubbing off on me =D

I can't remember the app Robert recommended. What would be the preferred resolution?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I, personally, just attach the image as an attachment instead of an embedded image in the post. That way, people can see the thumbnails and then click to see a bigger image if they want. I know everyone has their own way, and this is just my preference.

• Like 1

Did a bit more digging/reverse engineering.  *38 then Talk button will cut off any Visual voicemail forwarding. 

Make sure you are not blocking any of the text messages from Sprint VVM..  then do this to turn it back on... 

Go into the Visual Voicemail application and compose a Visual Voicemail message by selecting Menu and then Compose. Make sure your message is longer than 15 seconds and send to activate@vvm.sprint.com

Tried this to no avail... It's weird because now I'm getting a text message that says "Provisioning successful CFGv320c.0=08cNSeVB3xt//CM", but trying to leave a test voicemail the application refuses to work.  I get the voicemail if I dial one, but otherwise no dice...

Yes, but I had a slightly newer version, 5.3.4.32. Maybe that other version will work, can't hurt to try.. but like digiblur mentioned, I think part of it is on the network side.

-Mike

"check for updates" doesn't even work. "general failure.try again later" 5.3.4.28.

funny thing I din't get a single VM since I activated the phone last week :-)

• Like 1

"check for updates" doesn't even work. "general failure.try again later" 5.3.4.28.

funny thing I din't get a single VM since I activated the phone last week :-)

Same error when trying to look for updates here as well.  I'm really surprised that this hasn't been addressed by Sprint.  I guess everyone uses Google Voice, but I simply cannot stand it.

• Like 2

Same error when trying to look for updates here as well.  I'm really surprised that this hasn't been addressed by Sprint.  I guess everyone uses Google Voice, but I simply cannot stand it.

They have no problem creating and hard coding crappy Apps like Nascar,blockbuster video  and many other worthless Apps.

BTW . anyone know the N5 sale numbers ?or how many Sprint sold?

• Like 1

How is it going RFwise with your One Max? I'm eager to hear more of your findings when you have the time.

I wrote my initial impressions post on the One Max thread which includes my thoughts on the Max.

RF seems to be ok. Not stellar like the Nexus 5

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

I have just had like the 3rd spontaneous reboot of my n5 since I got it.

Anyone else experienced random reboots?

Screen was off, just streaming some googlemusic.

Using the ART, and while I have had various app crashes with it, I haven't been able to determine if that is causing the phone reboots.

Using the ART, and while I have had various app crashes with it, I haven't been able to determine if that is causing the phone reboots.

not a single time since i got last week.

bad App maybe?

I know the ART reboot is painful, but try switching back to Dalvik for a few weeks.

ART is still an experimental runtime compiler for a reason, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is what is causing random reboots. If your phone on Dalvik is still having random reboots, as AMD64 said, maybe there's a bad app somewhere.

I tried ART once and it actually gave me a worse experience. My home screen wallpaper was cut off, some apps that I frequently use stopped working, etc. It just didn't work for me. I switched back to Dalvik and the Android that I know and love was back. I'm sure ART has potential in the future, but for now, I don't use it. The Nexus 5 is already one of the smoothest experiences, and while smoother and faster is nice, I'll wait for ART to mature.

• Like 1

I also miss the ability to keep messages marked as new, it helped me remember who I owed a return call to.

You can mark VMs as unread in GV. Long press the message in question and select mark as unread.

There are two apps that I've found that are pretty good for editing / resizing while mobile. 

The first is pretty bare bones, but gets the job done, and has quite a few options, this is the one Robert was talking about, Photo Editor: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor

The other has way more features, and a prettier UI, but does come with some internal ads for additional plugins:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aviary.android.feather

The default (built-in) Kit Kat gallery app has a

. Pretty much a full editing suite. Lots of cropping options, and resizing as well:

Tbe5BI8l.png

Tried this to no avail... It's weird because now I'm getting a text message that says "Provisioning successful CFGv320c.0=08cNSeVB3xt//CM", but trying to leave a test voicemail the application refuses to work.  I get the voicemail if I dial one, but otherwise no dice...

Is your old phone still powered on? If so, on the old phone, in the dialer type

*#*#72786#*#*

to fully reset the profile. See if that does the trick. You may need your MSL.

• Like 1

Tried this to no avail... It's weird because now I'm getting a text message that says "Provisioning successful CFGv320c.0=08cNSeVB3xt//CM", but trying to leave a test voicemail the application refuses to work. I get the voicemail if I dial one, but otherwise no dice...

Tried it and got your same results.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Did a bit more digging/reverse engineering.  *38 then Talk button will cut off any Visual voicemail forwarding. 

Make sure you are not blocking any of the text messages from Sprint VVM..  then do this to turn it back on... 

Go into the Visual Voicemail application and compose a Visual Voicemail message by selecting Menu and then Compose. Make sure your message is longer than 15 seconds and send to activate@vvm.sprint.com

Tried all sorts of combinations of this.. threw in some reboots and profile updates for good measure as well. Sent that Sprint address about a half dozen 20-second test messages over the past couple of hours. Tried the VVM APK from that XDA thread (5.3.4.28) as well as the version I had backed up (5.3.4.32). Tried them as user apps as well as installing them as system apps. No luck no matter what I do.. messages are just going to the "regular" dial-in Sprint voicemail.

I never get any provisioning messages at all.. but same end result as you.

Ditto. Wondering if Sprint has the N5 flagged as incompatible with VVM on the network side. Going to try contacting them next, although I don't have high hopes for success.

-Mike

• Like 1

You can mark VMs as unread in GV. Long press the message in question and select mark as unread.

*#*#72786#*#*

Thanks for the GV tip! I disabled it for now, but that will be helpful if I decide to go back to it. I also tried that reset code on my old device for good measure, but it doesn't do anything on the old phone and doesn't help the situation on the new one.

-Mike

*#*#72786#*#*

My old phone was traded in to Best Buy when I purchased the N5.  I'm sure the battery is dead by now / no luck for me to change it.  I've tried updating prl / profile with no luck either.

Tried all sorts of combinations of this.. threw in some reboots and profile updates for good measure as well. Sent that Sprint address about a half dozen 20-second test messages over the past couple of hours. Tried the VVM APK from that XDA thread (5.3.4.28) as well as the version I had backed up (5.3.4.32). Tried them as user apps as well as installing them as system apps. No luck no matter what I do.. messages are just going to the "regular" dial-in Sprint voicemail.

I never get any provisioning messages at all.. but same end result as you.

Ditto. Wondering if Sprint has the N5 flagged as incompatible with VVM on the network side. Going to try contacting them next, although I don't have high hopes for success.

-Mike

Yea, I'm with you.  It's weird that I got the provisioning part to work / or at least it feels like it is working.  I just don't understand what the average joe would do.  I.E. My mother.  If she somehow stumbled onto this phone from a previous phone I wouldn't hear the end of it.  Why can't I get visual voicemail I had it on my Evo 4g and iPhone, blah, blah, blah.  I simply wouldn't have a good answer for her...

Just had a support chat session with Sprint.. after leading me through some different things and pushing some voicemail and data "refreshes" (I thought it was BS until I saw a profile update trigger on my screen without touching it LOL), the rep stepped away and then came back to advise me that upon further research, the Nexus 5 does not support VVM. I asked if Sprint planned to support it in the future, and was told they were "unaware of that". Rats.

Going to keep pushing Sprint through other channels, but I was afraid of that..

-Mike

• Like 2

Why don't you want to use Google Voice, just for your voicemail?

For some of the reasons I outlined above.. it's too bloated, it doubles the number of rings for my voicemail to pick up, it logs all of my texts and calls on Google's site. I tried doing that "Google Voice Lite" for voicemail-only, but as soon as I put the app on my phone, it forces it to the full version because it identifies me as a Sprint customer and they have a partnership. Without the app, it's not very convenient to get the messages. I used it for 3 days and the transcription was surprisingly bad, otherwise I would skip the app and just use the text message notifications. Without the app or text transcription, I might as well just use the regular Sprint call-in voicemail.

I realize GV is pretty powerful and has some great features, I just have no need for any of them myself.

-Mike

just walked out of Best Buy with this phone for a total cost of $-5.89 (on a gift card)

I think I'll order a screen protector from amazon (BB doesn't carry any) and use the remaining $5.89 to go towards installation of said screen protector. 

D5AqYyo.jpg?2

• Like 1

For some of the reasons I outlined above.. it's too bloated, it doubles the number of rings for my voicemail to pick up, it logs all of my texts and calls on Google's site. I tried doing that "Google Voice Lite" for voicemail-only, but as soon as I put the app on my phone, it forces it to the full version because it identifies me as a Sprint customer and they have a partnership. Without the app, it's not very convenient to get the messages. I used it for 3 days and the transcription was surprisingly bad, otherwise I would skip the app and just use the text message notifications. Without the app or text transcription, I might as well just use the regular Sprint call-in voicemail.

I realize GV is pretty powerful and has some great features, I just have no need for any of them myself.

-Mike

The transcriptions are are sometimes funny.

It is a very basic app, doesn't integrate that well. I like the app because it notifies me of a voicemail when I'm without any cell coverage, I can play the voicemail back without any cell coverage too.

I like it because I can use it with multiple cell phone numbers from different providers, they all go to the same voicemail and google voice tells me which number they called.

I think I'll order a screen protector from amazon (BB doesn't carry any) and use the remaining $5.89 to go towards installation of said screen protector.

Posted Image

What a bout the phone you ordered from Google store?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The transcriptions are are sometimes funny.

It is a very basic app, doesn't integrate that well. I like the app because it notifies me of a voicemail when I'm without any cell coverage, I can play the voicemail back without any cell coverage too.

I like it because I can use it with multiple cell phone numbers from different providers, they all go to the same voicemail and google voice tells me which number they called.

It wasn't integrated as smoothly as Sprint's (the widget that looks like an icon with the number of messages is so simple yet so key), but I did like how it let you play voicemails from the phone's call history screen. I only have one phone, so the extras aren't very important to me. Certainly can see how it's popular though, the feature set is unique and unmatched, especially for free.

-Mike