Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Has anybody noticed that LTE>EV-DO handoffs are horrible and take long enough to interrupt a music stream for over 30 seconds?

I've noticed this on every LTE device that I've had. I don't think it's unique to the Nexus 5.

Is there a way to turn off the active listening on the homescreen?  I'm sure it's a cool feature, but probably wastes an unnecessary amount of battery life. 

Not without turning Google Now off as far as I could tell. I switched to a different launcher (Nova) because I didn't want to turn Google Now off, but I wanted the search bar and active listening gone.

Has anyone tried side loading the sprint voicemail apk?

I did (see my voicemail comments a few posts before yours).. restored from my EVO LTE with Titanium Backup. The app will open, and I can see my old voicemails.. but it does not do anything for new voicemails. Google Voice appears to be the only comparable option for now, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

-Mike

• Like 2

Appears so: Settings, language & input, voice search.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeesh.. resize your screenshots already. 

Anyway, I was digging into the wrong menus.

However, there still doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the active listening while still allowing Google Now to function with voice activation. That's the part I really like, but don't need it on my homescreen.

I noticed this today on my One Max...

I have a 2.1 amp Y charger I use in my car. In one USB port I have a Beats Audio branded micro USB cable. In the other is a Motorola micro USB cable.

Even with reversing where the cables plug into, the Beats cable would always show "slow charging" on my phone. As a result, while using nav, my battery would drain while plugged in.

The Motorola cable doesn't cause my phone to slow charge and it will actually provide enough juice to charge to 100% while using nav.

Food for thought.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

How is it going RFwise with your One Max? I'm eager to hear more of your findings when you have the time.

However, there still doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the active listening while still allowing Google Now to function with voice activation. That's the part I really like, but don't need it on my homescreen.

Sorry, that came off a little snarky.. I think some other users may be rubbing off on me =D

I can't remember the app Robert recommended. What would be the preferred resolution?

I did (see my voicemail comments a few posts before yours).. restored from my EVO LTE with Titanium Backup. The app will open, and I can see my old voicemails.. but it does not do anything for new voicemails. Google Voice appears to be the only comparable option for now, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

-Mike

Could not agree with you more.  I simply cannot stand Google Voice and prefer the Sprint Voicemail application.  I am surprised to find that Sprint has yet to issue their visual voicemail application to the Play Store with Nexus 5 support.  I check Google at least every couple of days to see if the status has changed...

I'm also surprised at the lack of applications that fill its void in the Play Store.  I wouldn't mind paying for a legitimate version or using a 3rd party application, but most of them don't look anywhere near as nice as the stock Sprint application.

• Like 3

-Mike

Youmail? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.youmail.android.vvm

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Any charger that supports 2.1 amps or more should do the trick pretty well.

All of them are 2.1A. These are not 1 piece chargers but are separate chargers that you plug cables in to. Any time the phone is registering USB mode as the charging method it won't keep up with the GPS. In AC mode it is fine.

-Mike

You'd have to some how get Sprint to start sending your device the SMS again when a new message comes in.  Some people complained they were getting them and went in to block them. 

I like using the Google Voice app w/ the "show and play voicemails from the phone call log". This shows a play icon in the call log next to the missed call. click it and it play the voice mail within the phone app. It has a scrubber and even speed control.

• Like 3

-Mike

Is this the same app like the one on your phone?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2292469

The battery consumption should theoretically by very minimal. It only works while on your home screen. How often are you just staring at the home screen?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

You'd have to some how get Sprint to start sending your device the SMS again when a new message comes in. Some people complained they were getting them and went in to block them.

I saw a lot of discussions about that, but never experienced it myself. I wonder if Sprint enables/disables VVM when you activate certain devices, and the N5 wasn't on that list when it first came out.

I like using the Google Voice app w/ the "show and play voicemails from the phone call log". This shows a play icon in the call log next to the missed call. click it and it play the voice mail within the phone app. It has a scrubber and even speed control.

I have that enabled, it's definitely the easiest way to access messages. But I'd rather just have them all on one screen. I also miss the ability to keep messages marked as new, it helped me remember who I owed a return call to. And I have texting set to go through my own app, yet they are all logged on Google's site anyway.. I'm not paranoid, its just weird that you can't fully disable extra features like that. I think GV is an awesome concept and see how it can be very useful for some people.. I just don't need it.

Is this the same app like the one on your phone?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2292469

Yes, but I had a slightly newer version, 5.3.4.32. Maybe that other version will work, can't hurt to try.. but like digiblur mentioned, I think part of it is on the network side.

-Mike

Do you use it? Some of those reviews are scary.. they spam your callers about the app after they call you? And it might wipe out all contact pics? Not sure that's worth it. I'd be ticked if all my contact pics got reset from a voicemail app, it shouldn't even have access to modify them.

-Mike

• Like 2

Do you use it? Some of those reviews are scary.. they spam your callers about the app after they call you? And it might wipe out all contact pics? Not sure that's worth it. I'd be ticked if all my contact pics got reset from a voicemail app, it shouldn't even have access to modify them.

-Mike

I used to use it but reset my phone and haven't put back on yet... You can give access to pictures, etc from you mail and custom ones. You can disable the messages from you mail. It's not a bad app at all in my testing. Its not any better or worse than sprint, so I didn't add it back but custom messages in your voice mail for holidays, music, etc are nice.

I saw a lot of discussions about that, but never experienced it myself. I wonder if Sprint enables/disables VVM when you activate certain devices, and the N5 wasn't on that list when it first came out.

I have that enabled, it's definitely the easiest way to access messages. But I'd rather just have them all on one screen. I also miss the ability to keep messages marked as new, it helped me remember who I owed a return call to. And I have texting set to go through my own app, yet they are all logged on Google's site anyway.. I'm not paranoid, its just weird that you can't fully disable extra features like that. I think GV is an awesome concept and see how it can be very useful for some people.. I just don't need it.

Yes, but I had a slightly newer version, 5.3.4.32. Maybe that other version will work, can't hurt to try.. but like digiblur mentioned, I think part of it is on the network side.

-Mike

See if dialing either of these codes will get the notification going again on your sideloaded voicemail app:

Or maybe you're supposed to text to them...  worth a shot. 

Sorry, that came off a little snarky.. I think some other users may be rubbing off on me =D

I can't remember the app Robert recommended. What would be the preferred resolution?

Use Imgur.com to post screenshots.  You can resize them for message boards for 640x480 resolution.  It makes them very nice size without taking up too much space.  What is great is that they have an auto-resize option so that when you drag and drop the pictures you want to upload it automatically resizes them for message boards and provides a sharing link for it.

See if dialing either of these codes will get the notification going again on your sideloaded voicemail app:

Or maybe you're supposed to text to them...  worth a shot. 

Did a bit more digging/reverse engineering.  *38 then Talk button will cut off any Visual voicemail forwarding. 

Make sure you are not blocking any of the text messages from Sprint VVM..  then do this to turn it back on... 

Go into the Visual Voicemail application and compose a Visual Voicemail message by selecting Menu and then Compose. Make sure your message is longer than 15 seconds and send to activate@vvm.sprint.com

• Like 1

-Mike

This review was all I needed to see to know would be a no-go for me:

What the what?? "This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation".. Yea, no I'm good.

• Like 1