Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I may have missed this, but has anybody with a Nexus bought on contract from Sprint tried putting another SIM in to see if it works on other carriers?  The fine print on the box makes it sound like it is locked to Sprint. 

LOL Sprint. Its the same phone as the ones from the Play Store.

Being in an ALU market with Lucent being the legacy vendor, with all nearby 3G sites accepted and some 3G/4G, should the phone work fine right with LTE connectivity? Or do I have it backwards based on the problem patterns? Coming from an EVO LTE I am really looking forward to increased LTE reception but haven't ordered this yet. I would probably hold off for a while if it will have problems in my area.

It only shows 1900 for LTE.

Yeah, but we know what it is really capable of.. that could certainly just be a much copied-and-pasted block that they put all over the place that hasn't been updated yet. Sprint hadn't advertised any LTE on 800 or 2500/2600 until the Spark announcement either, long after these materials were printed. At least 98% of Sprint customers have virtually no idea about tri-band anyway. Until TV commercials marketing Spark start popping up, that will not change much.

As far as the original question, I have seen many confirmations of N5 usage on T-Mobile with a SIM swap, but I am not sure if those were ordered from Google Play or Sprint.

-Mike

• Like 1

Is there a way to have the notification light on when it is charging? Not a huge deal but used to seeing it come on when you plug it in to charge. I tried dogging through the menu and display options and couldn't find it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I use Lightflow. It takes over your notification light completely so anything you want using the notification light you would set up through Lightflow. I have mine set so the light is red while charging and turns off at 100%.

• Like 2

I've been using the N5 since Thursday and wanted to share some thoughts, and ask a question or two.

1) The screen is amazing, especially when side by side with my prior albeit 2 generation old Galaxy Nexus.  The colors look fantastic, the resolution is obviously amazing. Great screen overall.

2) Battery life for me has been impressive.  Perhaps I lower my expectations, but again, comparing this to the Gnex even WITH the humongous 3900mAh Mungen I am very happy.  My real-world test is a 3 hour walk with Endomando, and the Audible app running and checking Touchdown Exchange emails. That is a stress test that the N5 passed.  

3) Subjective 'form and feel'.  I find the edges of the device to be 'sharp' and difficult for any one hand use.The SPIGEN helps/hurts in this regard.  It helps on the power button,which without the case I find my thumb getting 'stuck' on as I move my hand on the device.  However, with the case the side grip is worse, with the rubber being less 'sticky' the the Nexus.  I will try the LG bumper "when available" (Side not, not understanding how Google/LG/FoXCOn whomever was able to hit the date for the device, but 10 days later can't sell the bumper yet).

4) Haptic - It may be a faulty-loose haptic motor, but I can hear it when it activates.  Not a huge deal, but I'm going to compare the sound to a device at the Sprint store to see if  mine needs to be RMA's.

5) Speed - Amazingly fast, from remote times, to device launches.

6) Google now -Voice recognition -> It works.  Between the device speed and software upgrades, I find it to be the first time I actually am using the phrase "OK Google" for other than 'show and tell'.

7) GPS - I do not know the engineering on this (software/hardware, or both?), but my experience so far has been lightning-quick fixes, very high number of SATS seen, and DOP/HDOP/VDOP lower (better) INSIDE than on the Gnex outside:

(attached!)

8) camera, video and OIS :  So, this may just be the nature of optical stabilization, but when shooting video in a moving vehicle, everything looks liquidy as the OIS tries to compensation for the road vibration.  I posted a video of this, and it reminds me of the special effects in 'inception'!

(Sorry for the background music, Pandora was having a ragtime moment).

https://plus.google.com/100408552061631615863/posts/6HnzUSKzcC2

Summary of the device:  Overall, I am one very happy camper!

Two questions:

1) Wireless& Networks - Mobile Networks - Network mode - It has been 'Global' but I have had no issues.  If its not broke, should I fix (?) it to LTE???

2) On the Gnex, when on 4g LTE, I was able to use data and voice.  On the N5, even when it indicates "LTE" all data stops when I am using voice.  Any ideas?

post-4875-0-89249200-1384142503_thumb.png

Edited by eSchreibman
  • Like 1

I use Lightflow. It takes over your notification light completely so anything you want using the notification light you would set up through Lightflow. I have mine set so the light is red while charging and turns off at 100%.

Thanks, this is perfect.

Also, a good app I found to sync social media contacts (FB, linkedin) to your contacts to list is MeSync. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Haven't we known for awhile that triband devices won't do both?

Yep, but should we really expect someone to pop in and read through 70+ pages to find out?

A sticky at the thread opener of known issues or common questions would be helpful to cut down on duplicate questions and answers.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 3

4) Haptic - It may be a faulty-loose haptic motor, but I can hear it when it activates.  Not a huge deal, but I'm going to compare the sound to a device at the Sprint store to see if  mine needs to be RMA's.

2) On the Gnex, when on 4g LTE, I was able to use data and voice.  On the N5, even when it indicates "LTE" all data stops when I am using voice.  Any ideas?

As to the first part, mine is also exceptionally loud, but the demo model at the Sprint store is as well. I've heard a range of vibration sound levels, so I think it's probably within their tolerances.

Second questions: No, cannot use voice and data simultaneously. Voice + WiFi will work.

Yep, but should we really expect someone to pop in and read through 70+ pages to find out?

A sticky at the thread opener of known issues or common questions would be helpful to cut down on duplicate questions and answers.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'd second that.

• Like 1

I have far more respect for people who silently research before they ask questions than those who do the opposite.  Reading our articles on The Wall is a great place to start.

AJ

• Like 5

I've only seen a couple of people report even close to the issue I'm having, so I figured I'll just ask here.

I was at the Vikings/Washington game at the Metrodome Thursday, and while I couldn't connect to LTE (obviously), I started out on 3G, then fell to 1x, then would lose signal entirely for a time.  Thinking back to my Galaxy Nexus, I would disable LTE (it was worthless there, which is frustrating because I see the people in front of me with AT&T happily browsing and sending pictures and texts all game with no issue), and I'd have solid 3G the entire game.  I'd look at my battery meter after the game, I never remember seeing more than 1% of time without signal.  Checking my N5 after the game, I was at 27% of the time off charger without signal, and that included drive in, pregame, game, and then getting back to the car.

Anyone else have this?  I've been paying more attention recently now, and every once in a while when I look I've just completely lost signal for a little whlie, then it pops back on.

I've only seen a couple of people report even close to the issue I'm having, so I figured I'll just ask here.

I was at the Vikings/Washington game at the Metrodome Thursday, and while I couldn't connect to LTE (obviously), I started out on 3G, then fell to 1x, then would lose signal entirely for a time. Thinking back to my Galaxy Nexus, I would disable LTE (it was worthless there, which is frustrating because I see the people in front of me with AT&T happily browsing and sending pictures and texts all game with no issue), and I'd have solid 3G the entire game. I'd look at my battery meter after the game, I never remember seeing more than 1% of time without signal. Checking my N5 after the game, I was at 27% of the time off battery without signal, and that included drive in, pregame, game, and then getting back to the car.

Anyone else have this? I've been paying more attention recently now, and every once in a while when I look I've just completely lost signal for a little whlie, then it pops back on.

I too have this issue where the signal just disappears for a few minutes and it says searching for service.

14 hrs on battery 28% without signal. I was at home all day watching football so 28% without signal when I can see the tower from my window is too damn high.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm having this weird issue with my N5 where I would have a data connection for a random amount of time (usually around 1 hour), then suddenly it would vanish. I would still have full bars and can make calls and send texts, but no data whatsoever until I do a full reboot of the phone. Restarting just the radios doesn't give me back my data. When the data works, I can use either the 4G or 3G networks just fine. Checking SignalCheck, whenever the data drops it says I'm connect to EVDO rev. A, otherwise it would be either LTE or eHRPD.

Anyone know what's going on?

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is to make sure you have enabled Light Flow in the phone under

Settings->Accessibility->Services.

If you want to be really sure you can also select the option in Lightflow settings for Root mode to ensure that root takes over.

• Like 1

Sent from my Nexus 5

There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path(Morpheus)

This is the problem right here, people are just to friggin lazy to read and to search.  They would rather just be spoon fed answers which takes away from the overall learning experience.  Now obviously there are questions that may not have a straightforward answer that may be more technical in nature but most of what we are seeing here are basic and can be easily answered. 

• Like 1

I tried searching for this problem but cannot find information. My Nexus 5 will not answer regular phone calls from most phone. What happens is the phone rings but when I go to answer by dragging too the answer icon it doesn't do anything. The person on the other end eventually gets my voicemail. Worse yet, my phone never gets out of this state and needs to be rebooted. It seems that calls from other cell phones work, but all calls from landlines have this behavior. Any ideas? Anyone else having issues similar. Basically my phone is not a phone.

Does sprint not test these before they release them? I don't understand how a company can release a phone that doesn't work. Sprint knows what kind of equipment they use in all of their markets, they know the hardware specs of the device. Either they didn't fully test the phone, or they did, knew there was a problem, and released it anyway. I just want to buy a Nexus, its so incredibly frustrating.

• Like 1