Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Actually, Samsung is the worst in this scenario. Other than PR/VI, all Samsung markets have a different legacy vendor. Therefore, every Samsung LTE site accepted without 3G complete is going to be a problem. Fortunately, Samsung is now flying on 3G acceptances. And has since summer. I would guess they have known since summer, and that's why Samsung has been flying on NV equipment installs for the past 3-4 months.

Also, Ericsson has really been pushing on 3G acceptances too the past few months. And at least a lot of Ericsson NV markets have Ericsson (Nortel) legacy equipment.

Alcatel Lucent comes off very well in this problem. Since most of their markets heavily focused on 3G deployments up front. And to think the S4GRU members in ALU markets have been so upset and vocal about 3G going in first!

The only ALU markets that are a problem are the ones where Motorola is the legacy, but 3G hasn't been upgraded yet. Like the North Carolina markets.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Actually, I'm in Harrisburg PA served by Shentel which I believe is an "Alcatel Lucent" system. I can't connect to 4G LTE at all with the LG G2.

Actually, I'm in Harrisburg PA served by Shentel which I believe is an "Alcatel Lucent" system. I can't connect to 4G LTE at all with the LG G2.

The Shentel market is one that totally surprises me.  They are probably the leader in getting their upgrades done.  They are probably well over 90% competed with the upgrading of sites.  Almost all markers on the map are GREEN indicating 3G, 4G, & 800 is complete.

They have a few tough sites yet, like ones on top of high voltage transmission line towers.  So, if they are almost 100% complete, why do I see reports that the N5 is not working.

Is this a simple software update that they need to install in the core switch??  It is totally surprising to me that they are so far advanced in all areas except maybe this issue.

This makes me believe the sites need to advertise eCSFB capability somehow which the new tri band phones are looking for.  Hopefully It's not long before Shentel pushes out an update to 'turn it on'... 

If eCSFB wasn't part of the original Network Vision 1.0 plan then there might need to be a software update pushed to existing NV1.0 equipment to play nice. The leaked document says "All markets need to be upgraded with eCSFB capability" Perhaps this is why some users have seen their LTE all a sudden start working. Sprint may be in a mad dash to push out software updates for the new eCSFB phones....

Excellent observation. I'm guessing this could be the issue in the ALU NV 3G markets that are not currently working. If this is the case, hopefully Shentel can be brought online quickly for Triband devices.

Do you have an educated guess on a time line for this work? Has the upgrades been done but it just hasn't been accepted and turned on, or are they going to have to go through to all the towers to complete more work?

Sent from my Nexus 5

It will require a revisit to fire up 3G on these already LTE only enabled sites. Because they will have to fire up equipment and do 911/drive testing. But the good news is all the equipment should already be installed. It's hard to put a time line, because I don't know what kind of resources can be mustered. But I think if made a priority, existing LTE only sites could be NV 3G online nationwide in 60 days.

And also from here on out, they can just make sure any new LTE sites also have 3G upgrades installed and accepted with LTE. It would just likely slow down LTE acceptances as 3G acceptances require more testing/integration.

It will require a revisit to fire up 3G on these already LTE only enabled sites. Because they will have to fire up equipment and do 911/drive testing. But the good news is all the equipment should already be installed. It's hard to put a time line, because I don't know what kind of resources can be mustered. But I think if made a priority, existing LTE only sites could be NV 3G online nationwide in 60 days.

And also from here on out, they can just make sure any new LTE sites also have 3G upgrades installed and accepted with LTE. It would just likely slow down LTE acceptances as 3G acceptances require more testing/integration.

What about in incumbent markets where it appears that yellow sites are the ones causing issues with connecting?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What about in incumbent markets where it appears that yellow sites are the ones causing issues with connecting?

I'm having issues in Lower Westchester county NY, borders the bronx an Alcatel area mostly all yellow.

I don't know how many of you caught the article in CNET from the other day, but T-Mobile confirmed that their full retail price on the Nexus 5 16GB model was $450. They are not receiving them from LG at the price Google is selling them from the Play Store.

Even more evidence that Google is subsidizing these Nexus devices. So please stop posting that Sprint is ripping people off for selling them for $450. It's not Sprint. It's just that buying them from Google is a better deal for consumers. And if that's important to you, buy yours from Google. I did.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57611582-94/heres-why-t-mobiles-nexus-5-is-$100-more-than-at-google-play/

• Like 6

We don't have a grasp of every scenario, yet. It is possible that your device has a problem. Will it work in LTE only mode? If so, you probably are suffering from the eCSFB/CSFB problem. If not, then you may have a device problem. And are you certain your site has the same legacy/NV equipment?

People with Triband devices are also reporting issues when near the Motherhead site in Cottlevile (near St Louis) which is a yellow pin. They exit the area to where the rest are just 4G and LTE works fine.

I was so frustrated yesterday with this new Tri Band phone not working in a new equipment area that I took it into a Shentel store.  They checked the device and agreed that:  "Yes, it will not receivr 4G LTE".  But..., they had no information as to when the system would be compatible in my area. 

Now, I'm stuck.  I have a Verizon phone number that I wanted to port over to Sprint, but not until I had a working Sprint phone.  Do I wait for them to get this rectified and pay two phone bills in the meantime?

I wish there would have been some kind of disclosure on this Spark deployment, as to which markets it was going to be usable in.  I would have waited to avoid all this hassle. 

We don't have a grasp of every scenario, yet. It is possible that your device has a problem. Will it work in LTE only mode? If so, you probably are suffering from the eCSFB/CSFB problem. If not, then you may have a device problem. And are you certain your site has the same legacy/NV equipment?

Sites in the 73034 area code are listed as yellow. Forcing LTE does work on these sites. A purple site near my home connects without forcing after toggling airplane mode or making a call.

• Like 1

No eFCFB/CSFB problems with the 3G/4G accepted sites on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It is still weird to not see a 1x signal on Signal Check Pro though in 4G areas. I was able to place a call (and watch the 1x signal appear on Signal Check Pro) and then pick up the LTE signal after I hung up.

I definitely saw better RF performance on this phone. I was able to hold an LTE signal in an area the One wouldn't. Even in an area that would guarantee losing 3G and often would force roaming on 1x, the Nexus performed better. It never lost the 1x signal and only lost the 3G signal for a short moment.  

• Like 1

You will notice in signal check pro when you initiate a call the LTE radio goes idle and CDMA wakes up. Its seamless, and as soon as you hang up it will quickly switch back to LTE. I almost always pick up 1x800 here in my home.

• Like 4

You will notice in signal check pro when you initiate a call the LTE radio goes idle and CDMA wakes up. Its seamless, and as soon as you hang up it will quickly switch back to LTE. I almost always pick up 1x800 here in my home.

It was seemless, just strange watching it.

I have a question not related to lte. What is everyone using for voicemail?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I can't use Google Voice so voicemail is almost absent as I have no clue if I have voicemail or not. Annoying really, specially because users in the US don't have that problem by using Google Voice.

I can't use Google Voice so voicemail is almost absent as I have no clue if I have voicemail or not. Annoying really, specially because users in the US don't have that problem by using Google Voice.

You have Sprint Voicemail, long press 1 in the dialer and it will call your voicemail. Googlevoice just provides Visual Voicemail.

You have Sprint Voicemail, long press 1 in the dialer and it will call your voicemail. Googlevoice just provides Visual Voicemail.

It works like that. The thing is I could have any number of voicemail and not be aware of it. That's the problem. No notification.

It works like that. The thing is I could have any number of voicemail and not be aware of it. That's the problem. No notification.

You could try something like this app, which should be compatible with Sprint.

• Like 1

You do get missed call notifications, right? I'd base calling voicemail just in case I missed anyone's call.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2