Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I wasn't hoping to start a Sprint flame war.

I'm sure there's reasons for everything. As a multi billion dollar company, they wouldn't purposefully do something like this because they didn't see it coming. The benefits has to outweigh the short term cons.

I understand some of you feel let down, but at least we somewhat got this issue figured out while we are all still well within our 14 day return policy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Exactly. While I'm upset I'm back to 2011 3G speeds, its good to finally know the cause and that it can be fixed. I live in an announced LTE market. Here's to hoping Sprint flips on the 3G NV (all equipment is in place for 3G if the site has LTE) ASAP.

It seems that Sprint turns on LTE as soon as, or soon after the NV equipment and backhaul have been installed. Then they wait until all of the sites in a small area, or "cluster" are upgraded to turn on 3g/voice NV to avoid the handoff issues they saw in the first several NV markets.

• Like 1

I received my 32gb N5 this past thursday.The first thing I notice was the RF performance of LTE. Usually In my bedroom my Samsung Galaxy S4 was getting from -108 to -113dbm, now with this phone I am getting -93 to -95dbm. I am finally happy that I can have LTE signal in one of our favorite place in the house "The Bathroom" were my SGS4 dropped back to 3G. Doing my morning Glory while reading the news on my cell phone with LTE now is "Priceless"

• Like 2

Got the phone yesterday from Sprint, its great and luckily I don't have any issues with LTE connectivity whatsoever. Works great out of the box. My only gripe its with the voicemail. Receive a call, let it go to voicemail and it won't show any voicemail notification. Have to dial 1 to go into voicemail to check if I have a voicemail. Can't do Google Voice, because it doesn't work in Puerto Rico. My last Android phone (Gingerbread 2.3) at least I received a visual notification that I had voicemail. Now nada. Besides Google Voice, anyone receives a voicemail notificaction? Any ideas?

Gustavo I also live in Puerto Rico and I am having the same problem as you since GV does not work in PR. There are some apps on the store like Youmail Visual Voicemail that I will give a try.

Gustavo I also live in Puerto Rico and I am having the same problem as you since GV does not work in PR. There are some apps on the store like Youmail Visual Voicemail that I will give a try.

So,in PR you are not experiencing any LTE connectivity issues?

Nope. Got LTE since activation.

Two days using the phone and no issues with LTE connectivity. The PR market is 100% 3g NV Complete updates and like 88% LTE completed. We are lucky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Let me know if it works for you.

Two days using the phone and no issues with LTE connectivity. The PR market is 100% 3g NV Complete updates and like 88% LTE completed. We are lucky.

Ya, I hear ya. Some of us here in Incumbent land have reported ONLY being able to connect to 4G only sites.

• Like 1

Okay, I was successfully able to remove my Tmobile sim from my Nexus 5, put in a Sprint sim (which I got at the local store) and transfer the existing Sprint service from my iPhone 5. I'm supposedly in a Spark area, but I didn't notice a stronger signal or better speeds. What I did find is that if I lost LTE and the phone went to 3G, even once I returned to an area that I know had strong LTE, the phone stayed on 3G unless I toggled airplane mode. I played around with it for a few hours, mapped the areas around my house on Sensorly, but ultimately the Sprint experience on this phone was extremely inferior to what I was getting with the Tmobile SIM, so I just switched back. Maybe in time I'll try it again, but for now I'm going to keep my iPhone on Sprint and the Nexus 5 on Tmobile. What is good to know is that switching between Sprint and Tmobile is *almost* as easy as it is between GSM carriers - and activating on Sprint doesn't affect the fact that the Google Play version is unlocked. (The rep at the store told me that once I activated it would lock the phone to Sprint - not so!!)

Great info and good to know~! I'm currently enjoying my N5 on a prepaid T-Mobile Kim card and the speeds & experience have been great. :)

Quick question: when you activated the N5 on Sprint after putting in a Sprint card, what were the subsequent steps? Were you able to activate the N5 on Sprint via website or did you have to call in to Sprint?

Also, were you made to pay an activation charge? I thought one didn't have to pay an activation charge but I was charged the fee earlier this year when I switched from the E4GT to the GS4.

Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands and Ft. Wayne/South Bend will not have LTE problems with Triband devices because NV 3G is complete in those markets. Markets that have NV 3G complete will be fine on Triband LTE devices.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

Samsung markets shine once again. Way to go Samsung! Hopefully Sprint will light a fire under Ericsson and get off their lazy rears and do some 3g integrations on the 4g only sites.

Actually, Samsung is the worst in this scenario. Other than PR/VI, all Samsung markets have a different legacy vendor. Therefore, every Samsung LTE site accepted without 3G complete is going to be a problem. Fortunately, Samsung is now flying on 3G acceptances. And has since summer. I would guess they have known since summer, and that's why Samsung has been flying on NV equipment installs for the past 3-4 months.

Also, Ericsson has really been pushing on 3G acceptances too the past few months. And at least a lot of Ericsson NV markets have Ericsson (Nortel) legacy equipment.

Alcatel Lucent comes off very well in this problem. Since most of their markets heavily focused on 3G deployments up front. And to think the S4GRU members in ALU markets have been so upset and vocal about 3G going in first!

The only ALU markets that are a problem are the ones where Motorola is the legacy, but 3G hasn't been upgraded yet. Like the North Carolina markets.

• Like 14

Saw this and found it interesting.

CSFB is the first step in enabling mainstream LTE handsets with the cost, size and battery life advantages of single-radio solutions to LTE data in combination with 2G/3G voice (and data fallback, in non-LTE areas). The single-radio solution is also the pathway to later phases of LTE voice evolution that add additional operator network capacity gains and user experience enhancements. CSFB network upgrades provide a first step towards VoLTE with SRVCC, the next phase of LTE voice evolution. Even as VoLTE is initially launched, VoLTE handsets will continue to require CSFB for roaming.

While several options are available to address the call setup time and reliability issues introduced by the single-radio solution, the evidence gathered to date suggests the following as solutions for handsets and supporting network infrastructure in the current phase of LTE evolution:

I received my 32gb N5 this past thursday.The first thing I notice was the RF performance of LTE. Usually In my bedroom my Samsung Galaxy S4 was getting from -108 to -113dbm, now with this phone I am getting -93 to -95dbm. I am finally happy that I can have LTE signal in one of our favorite place in the house "The Bathroom" were my SGS4 dropped back to 3G. Doing my morning Glory while reading the news on my cell phone with LTE now is "Priceless"

does anybody think this drastic increase in signal strength has anything to do with there only being one path? Just one 1900 signal for lte instead of both cdma and lte at the same time?

So Alu markets have 3g upgraded but why is my 3g horrible. And LTE is horrible in my area from speeds .05 - 3.5mbps please tell me this will get better Los Angeles certain area not all of it. 3g is horrible everywhere though

does anybody think this drastic increase in signal strength has anything to do with there only being one path? Just one 1900 signal for lte instead of both cdma and lte at the same time?

Possibly. But it's not a surprise. The FCC OET revealed very good EIRP measurements for the Nexus 5 testing for Sprint LTE bands. So we were expecting something good. But I think it's safe to say the member reports of the great LTE RF performance has exceeded our expectations.

• Like 8

So Alu markets have 3g upgraded but why is my 3g horrible. And LTE is horrible in my area from speeds .05 - 3.5mbps please tell me this will get better Los Angeles certain area not all of it. 3g is horrible everywhere though

LTE in one band will get overloaded on busy sites. That's why Triband is so important. It spreads traffic across three bands. Also, Band 41 is where tons of capacity exists. Much more than the current band currently deployed in LA has.

Also, not every site in LA has 3G upgraded. And also, the 3G sites that are upgraded but do not have LTE upgraded, means they have not had upgraded backhaul installed yet. Backhaul limitations are the biggest problem to a 3G site.

• Like 3

Actually, Samsung is the worst in this scenario. Other than PR/VI, all Samsung markets have a different legacy vendor. Therefore, every Samsung LTE site accepted without 3G complete is going to be a problem. Fortunately, Samsung is now flying on 3G acceptances. And has since summer. I would guess they have known since summer, and that's why Samsung has been flying on NV equipment installs for the past 3-4 months.

Also, Ericsson has really been pushing on 3G acceptances too the past few months. And at least a lot of Ericsson NV markets have Ericsson (Nortel) legacy equipment.

Alcatel Lucent comes off very well in this problem. Since most of their markets heavily focused on 3G deployments up front. And to think the S4GRU members in ALU markets have been so upset and vocal about 3G going in first!

The only ALU markets that are a problem are the ones where Motorola is the legacy, but 3G hasn't been upgraded yet. Like the North Carolina markets.

That's a big reason why I've forgiven AlLu.

I don't have much of an issue with how they are doing acceptances. We all know Samsung is busting butt, that leaves Ericsson or should I call them Red Sticky, Inc. :P

• Like 1

If eCSFB wasn't part of the original Network Vision 1.0 plan then there might need to be a software update pushed to existing NV1.0 equipment to play nice.  The leaked document says "All markets need to be upgraded with eCSFB capability"  Perhaps this is why some users have seen their LTE all a sudden start working.  Sprint may be in a mad dash to push out software updates for the new eCSFB phones....

• Like 2

Do you have an educated guess on a time line for this work? Has the upgrades been done but it just hasn't been accepted and turned on, or are they going to have to go through to all the towers to complete more work?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yeah, ALU comes off well virtually everywhere except for where I live (Inside the i-485 loop aka the city of Charlotte) in which literally all but 7 of nearly 50 sites are purple. Gah. Just my luck. Oh well. Hopefully this means Sprint pushes ALU to work faster.