Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I just received my Nexus 5 from Sprint and have been unable to connect to LTE at all with it. I believe that I was within range of an active band 41 site, but I'm unable to confirm that...

"LTE" briefly displays over the signal bar, but never connects and switches back to 3G.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not too rejoice in your misfortune, but that should get Sprint to fix the radio issues quickly

If by will match amazon and you have the 2013 mobile freedom offer on your line, you can get the phone for 0 (50-50)

Anyone know radio shacks price?

I need to decide if its worth keeping my upgrade for $390 or using it for a free or nearly free phone

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Does your Sprint version from Best Buy come with Voicemail or any "bloatware"?  Just curious.

I wonder this as well, I bit the bullet and integrated my Google Voice so that I have voicemail without calling, but now it syncs up my texts as well. I was able to turn off notifications, but it still syncs and I can't figure out how to stop it from doing that. (I know I am knit picking, but it bugs me!)

• Like 1

I just received my Nexus 5 from Sprint and have been unable to connect to LTE at all with it. I believe that I was within range of an active band 41 site, but I'm unable to confirm that...

"LTE" briefly displays over the signal bar, but never connects and switches back to 3G.

This is NOT what I wanted to see. I'm in the triangle as well.... I'll be giving Sprint exactly until my return period is up to fix the problem. What good is a better radio if my phone's software can't manage it properly and I can't get any LTE at all.

I wonder this as well, I bit the bullet and integrated my Google Voice so that I have voicemail without calling, but now it syncs up my texts as well. I was able to turn off notifications, but it still syncs and I can't figure out how to stop it from doing that. (I know I am knit picking, but it bugs me!)

When you first set up the google voice app you should choose the "skip" option for integration and that you will not use it to make any calls.  Then you can use google voice just like the sprint visual voice mail app while your texts and everything remain separate.  I think you can un-integrate it from the website on a PC.  I am not sure if that's what you are trying to accomplish but that's what I do.  Google voice is basically nothing more than a visual voicemail app for me while my texts continue to go to my texting app.

This is NOT what I wanted to see. I'm in the triangle as well.... I'll be giving Sprint exactly until my return period is up to fix the problem. What good is a better radio if my phone's software can't manage it properly and I can't get any LTE at all.

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about it! I honestly was expecting it to only be an issue with Google Play devices, but something's definitely wrong with my device as well.

Does your Sprint version from Best Buy come with Voicemail or any "bloatware"?  Just curious.

Nothing at all...

• Like 2

When you first set up the google voice app you should choose the "skip" option for integration and that you will not use it to make any calls.  Then you can use google voice just like the sprint visual voice mail app while your texts and everything remain separate.  I think you can un-integrate it from the website on a PC.  I am not sure if that's what you are trying to accomplish but that's what I do.  Google voice is basically nothing more than a visual voicemail app for me while my texts continue to go to my texting app.

This is exactly what I was trying to do. I wonder if it didn't work for me initially because I didn't have my actual Sprint voicemail setup yet?

This is exactly what I was trying to do. I wonder if it didn't work for me initially because I didn't have my actual Sprint voicemail setup yet?

Hm, you shouldn't have to do that first.  I have not set up sprint's voicemail yet on this phone.  If I try calling the voicemail number (my number) she tries to walk me through setting it up.  

When I first downloaded google voice and ran it I chose skip, then on the next screen chose do not use to make calls.  Then a screen pops up and you have to call some number.  I just touch that number and it opens my dialer and dials and makes a couple booping sounds.  Then in the voicemail settings in the phone (open the dialer>settings>call settings>voicemail) I had to change it from "My carrier" to "Google voice".  Then when I go back to the google voice app it completes the setup.

That last part about changing it from "my carrier" to "google voice" might have been the issue.  Nothing guides you to do that really.

Hm, you shouldn't have to do that first.  I have not set up sprint's voicemail yet on this phone.  If I try calling the voicemail number (my number) she tries to walk me through setting it up.  

When I first downloaded the app and ran it I chose skip, do not use to make calls.  Then a screen pops up and you have to call a number.  I just touch that number and it dials and makes a couple booping sounds.  Then in the voicemail settings in the phone (open the dialer>settings>call settings>voicemail) I had to change it from "My carrier" to "Google voice".  Then when I go back to voice it completes the setup.

That last part about changing it from "my carrier" to "google voice" might have been the issue.  Nothing guides you to do that really.

I don't know what happened, but I started over and it worked the 2nd time around. It is very possible that it was user error, but all is well now! Thanks for your help guys!

• Like 1

Apologies if this has already been answered but how would one activate band 41 in their phone?

You need to obtain your MSL number by calling Sprint and asking for it. Then you can login and edit the LTE screen by typing *#*#DATA#*#* in the dialer.

• Like 2

This is a reply I just got in reference to SMS not splitting with Hangouts on Sprint:

Yes, I just popped out my Sprint SIM and used one from AT&T, and can confirm that I had no issues sending a text longer than 160 characters on AT&T. With Sprint, it stops me at 160 and I can't type anymore.

Now does anyone have an explanation as to why this would happen?

You need to obtain your MSL number by calling Sprint and asking for it. Then you can login and edit the LTE screen by typing *#*#DATA#*#* in the dialer.

Has anyone successfully connected to band 41?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I'm definitely thinking this is a regional issue now. You're right down the road from me and I have several other reports from RDU guys that their N5 will not connect to LTE.

• Like 2

Has anybody put another carrier SIM in a N5 marketed as a sprint N5... Curious if there is Carrier lock..

I'm definitely thinking this is a regional issue now. You're right down the road from me and I have several other reports from RDU guys that their N5 will not connect to LTE.

I have the same issue in Oklahoma City

Has anybody put another carrier SIM in a N5 marketed as a sprint N5... Curious if there is Carrier lock..

I just received my sprint ordered black 16g N5

there is NO Sprint logo/markings anywhere on phone or box

took out sprint sim and going to power on without it

will be putting in a tmo prepaid sim later today

There was custom Sprint disclaimer text on the box that said there is a software carrier lock, but I haven't tried it myself.

There was custom Sprint disclaimer text on the box that said there is a software carrier lock, but I haven't tried it myself.

ooops, that is correct, the tiny fine print on box says it is software 'locked' to sprint which is hardly true lol