Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I just left the Burlington store a few minutes ago. Display N5 was not activated. I was hoping to check it out before mine arrived in a couple of weeks.

Hehe I was the one who turned that display one on for the first time! I got it activated but then it needed to download a 125mb software update over 3G so I walked away. Another customer in the store let me check out his.. I was impressed for the brief time I played with it.

While in-store I did notice the One Max price tags were out with the upgrade price ($249 I believe?) expiring 11/21, so I guess they expect it on the shelf before then.

-Mike

I think I'm gonna pay to buy out my contract and buy at either by or amazon.

I'm hearing mixed things from bb about price matching phones

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

If you're going to stay with Sprint, you might as well get the phone for $200-$300 cheaper by renewing your contract or signing a new one. Cheap phone is the added bonus.

This... Why not let Sprint pay for $200 of this phone?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I would look at resell prices and what sprint charges then buy the phone that nets you the largest difference then use that to buy a play store nexus 5 and pocket what's left over. Do the math and it might be worth your while.

Lynyrd65 nailed it.  Why "waste" your upgrade on a device that only retails for $350 from Google Play.  It's all about cost of money, right?  My plan is to purchase this off contract, sell my current device and then still be eligible for an upgrade next year if I choose to be.  If you are going to lock into another two years with a phone, it should be for the most bang for your buck possible, right?  Not to say the N5 isn't  great device, but you never know what is around the corner.  There is already quite a bit of talk about 64 bit processors for early / mid next year.

• Like 1

Persistence pays off. The SIM I ordered 5 days ago from echat is in complete limbo, with no estimated shipping date. So I tried my corporate store again for a SIM, now that the Sprint Nexus 5 is launched. They told me to call the repair center a few miles away. I called the repair center, who said they had 2 left, and would hold one for me. Bingo. There was some hand wringing over giving me the SIM without activating my  Nexus 5 (which doesn't arrive until Monday), but they ultimately gave me the SIM. The guy was pretty cool about it.

That's the risk of walking into a store: you could have someone completely clueless and unhelpful, or a rep who knows something about the phone and understands that I need a SIM to activate. 

Lynyrd65 nailed it.  Why "waste" your upgrade on a device that only retails for $350 from Google Play.  It's all about cost of money, right?  My plan is to purchase this off contract, sell my current device and then still be eligible for an upgrade next year if I choose to be.  If you are going to lock into another two years with a phone, it should be for the most bang for your buck possible, right?  Not to say the N5 isn't  great device, but you never know what is around the corner.  There is already quite a bit of talk about 64 bit processors for early / mid next year.

That's exactly my plan. I'm a big Galaxy Note fan, but I want a tri-band device. I don't want to wait for the Galaxy Note 4 (or 2014, whatever they call it), which should be tri-band, but won't be coming out until October 2014 at the earliest. Conveniently, I will be eligible for an upgrade then. With the Nexus 5, I get a tri-band phone for an affordable price (I can expense some of the cost), and not use an upgrade. When the Note 4 hits, I'll get it with an upgrade.

We'll see if I hate the smaller screen. I also want to see if I end up loving the pure Google experience, with regular Google upgrades. 

• Like 1

I have the newest airave.  I dont have the N5 yet, but on my gnex text works on gvoice and hangouts.  The newest airave now has 3g data, so it should work.

I had this happen on the Galaxy S4, I called Airave support and they sent a fresh update/allowed the device to use the Airave.

I noticed last night that using WiFi tethering uses significantly less battery than it did with my GS3.  Sitting in the same spot with tethering running for 3 hours to my MacBook I went from 88% charge to 65%.  Using the GS3 in the same scenario I would lose about 50-60% battery life.  Not sure what component the difference can be attributed to (WiFi radio, LTE radio, etc) but it was a very pleasant surprise.

You got that to work? it keeps telling me that it started with errors and asking me if im rooted (i am)

I called the repair center, who said they had 2 left, and would hold one for me. Bingo. There was some hand wringing over giving me the SIM without activating my Nexus 5 (which doesn't arrive until Monday), but they ultimately gave me the SIM. The guy was pretty cool about.

Ditto. They didn't know what to do without having a phone to scan into their system, but after a few minutes of head-scratching and peppering me with questions, the tech went out back and "found" an "extra" one. He was apologetic about not just handing it over, and I understand.. what we're asking for makes sense, but they apparently have no way to enter it into their computer to release it from inventory without it being attached to a phone.

-Mike

You got that to work? it keeps telling me that it started with errors and asking me if im rooted (i am)

I'm not rooted on the N5 so that could be the difference.  Although my GS3 was rooted and I never had any issues with tethering on it.

Edit:  I see you're talking about bypassing the official tethering.  I believe discussion of that is verboten on S4GRU.  I pay Sprint for tethering because I believe it's the right thing to do.  There are probably other places on the internet that would help you though.

Edited by Devin

As I stated in this thread earlier today, S4GRU prohibits discussion of illicit tethering. This is the final warning. Further discussion will result in disciplinary action.

AJ

• Like 2

Ditto. They didn't know what to do without having a phone to scan into their system, but after a few minutes of head-scratching and peppering me with questions, the tech went out back and "found" an "extra" one. He was apologetic about not just handing it over, and I understand.. what we're asking for makes sense, but they apparently have no way to enter it into their computer to release it from inventory without it being attached to a phone.

-Mike

That's exactly what they told me. They apparently released it from inventory as an "accessory" on my account.

Ok, got my original N5 (preordered from Sprint) replaced at a corporate store due to a faulty LCD. I had to be persistent, but they eventually let me exchange.

Sprint-purchased N5s come with the SIM card installed. The store I went to said that in order to issue SIMs to Play Store phones, they need to issue a ticket, and they've had problems getting those phones activated.

Activation can take a very long time - mine took somewhere in the range of an hour. I'm getting great LTE reception right now.

I'm probably not gonna be modifying mine at all, so if you need a Sprint-purchased control to compare against, I may be able to answer some questions.

• Like 1

Are all people having LTE issues in Band 41 markets? Is it possible your device sees the Band 41 site and not allowing you to connect to Band 25 LTE?

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm in Tampa which is one of the 5 Spark roll out cities and my LTE is working great no issues at all.

Just picked up my sprint N5 from best buy.. Came with SIM inserted with the ICCID on the box..opted for buy vs upgrade and best buy price matched googles price of 349.... Just finished the 125mb update...

• Like 5

Just picked up my sprint N5 from best buy.. Came with SIM inserted with the ICCID on the box..opted for buy vs upgrade and best buy price matched googles price of 349.... Just finished the 125mb update...

Wow, that's interesting news.

• Like 1

Best news I have heard ALL DAY!!!

I may head there now.

Wow, that's interesting news.

I was surprised as hell too when I asked.. But I did mention that I was mybestbuy Elite and had spent over 8k at best buy this year..

• Like 1

Does your Sprint version from Best Buy come with Voicemail or any "bloatware"?  Just curious.

I just received my Nexus 5 from Sprint and have been unable to connect to LTE at all with it. I believe that I was within range of an active band 41 site, but I'm unable to confirm that...

"LTE" briefly displays over the signal bar, but never connects and switches back to 3G.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just received my Nexus 5 from Sprint and have been unable to connect to LTE at all with it. I believe that I was within range of an active band 41 site, but I'm unable to confirm that...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You are the very first person I've seen report that a Sprint N5 has the issue.  While I am sorry this is is happening it really would be a much better situation if the Sprint phones have the issue as well.  Then maybe they will not blame it on our Google "GSM" phones that have "SIM cards"  that the Sprint phones don't need because they are CDMA...

Your "symptoms" are the same as everyone else's.  I would imagine you could go to the dialer, type *#*#4636#*#* and put it to LTE only and your LTE will connect like a champ as well.