Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Wow, Verizon really does not want the Nexus 5 on their network, eh?

I plan to grab T-Mobile and AT&T SIMs without activating them to see if they will at least show a network connection. I realized that I might be able to test out my app on many networks by swapping out the SIM instead of keeping multiple test phones around for each carrier. No activation necessary, since I don't actually use data or minutes.. fingers crossed. This whole SIM thing is new to a long time CDMA-only guy.

-Mike

I cut down my straight talk sim, put in my APN and had instant service. Just need to get one of the new LTE Sims to test. Kind of nice having options...

Ironically, when I put my Sprint SIM in my N5 from my Netgear Zing hotspot, it did connect to the Verizon network on CDMA as roaming for about 20 minutes. Then without advanced warning, a notification popped up and said my SIM was now locked because it could not authenticate after multiple attempts. It would be great to have a device on VZW that used AWS LTE only. It would be great for network testing. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly, B4 only VZW device would be perfect for testing. But your example goes to show that N5 is fully capable of working on Verizon's CDMA network.

I guess one could technically force B4 Only on Verizon's Galaxy phones as well

So I am reading that it's only Sprint that won't allow an SMS over 160 characters on Hangouts. The other carriers SMS will auto split.

Anyone know what the logic on that would be? Something with the network or CDMA?

I cut down my straight talk sim, put in my APN and had instant service. Just need to get one of the new LTE Sims to test. Kind of nice having options...

Thinking of doing this myself... was looking around at the ST website and the SIM was only $7 and the $45 plan looks awesome.  The only thing I can't find is what actual speeds people get after they go over 2.5gig.  Not that I would really go over that but just curious.  Then I would have the task of putting my Sprint account on hold for a year...problem solved.

So I am reading that it's only Sprint that won't allow an SMS over 160 characters on Hangouts. The other carriers SMS will auto split.

Anyone know what the logic on that would be? Something with the network or CDMA?

160 limit has been around for a long time..ever wonder why Twitter message lengths came from?

"

Transmission of short messages between the SMSC and the handset is done whenever using the Mobile Application Part (MAP) of the SS7 protocol.[39] Messages are sent with the MAP MO- and MT-ForwardSM operations, whose payload length is limited by the constraints of the signaling protocol to precisely 140 octets (140 octets = 140 * 8 bits = 1120 bits). Short messages can be encoded using a variety of alphabets: the default GSM 7-bit alphabet, the 8-bit data alphabet, and the 16-bit UCS-2 alphabet.[40] Depending on which alphabet the subscriber has configured in the handset, this leads to the maximum individual short message sizes of 160 7-bit characters, 140 8-bit characters, or 70 16-bit characters. GSM 7-bit alphabet support is mandatory for GSM handsets and network elements,[40] but characters in languages such as Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, or Cyrillic alphabet languages (e.g., Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, etc.) must be encoded using the 16-bit UCS-2 character encoding (see Unicode). Routing data and other metadata is additional to the payload size.

Larger content (concatenated SMS, multipart or segmented SMS, or "long SMS") can be sent using multiple messages, in which case each message will start with a User Data Header (UDH) containing segmentation information. Since UDH is part of the payload, the number of available characters per segment is lower: 153 for 7-bit encoding, 134 for 8-bit encoding and 67 for 16-bit encoding. The receiving handset is then responsible for reassembling the message and presenting it to the user as one long message. While the standard theoretically permits up to 255 segments,[41] 6 to 8 segment messages are the practical maximum, and long messages are often billed as equivalent to multiple SMS messages. Some providers have offered length-oriented pricing schemes for messages, however, the phenomenon is disappearing.

"

Possibly. But not definitely. Since we do not know the exact reason of the problem, can't rule anything out right now. Currently we are just trying to determine the commonality.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Is it time to start a separate thread with a couple of polls that people can answer, like bands in your area, what your area is, hardware vendor in your area, etc? So we can find a trend?

• Like 2

Is there a concensus yet on whether it's best to set the mobile settings to Global or LTE as the preferred network choice? On global will Sprint roam to GSM carriers?

Are all people having LTE issues in Band 41 markets? Is it possible your device sees the Band 41 site and not allowing you to connect to Band 25 LTE?

No idea, but I really doubt it. Where I live i'm surprised we have any LTE. I can force connect, but I cannot make or receive calls while connected.

Is there a concensus yet on whether it's best to set the mobile settings to Global or LTE as the preferred network choice? On global will Sprint roam to GSM carriers?

I don't think Sprint is going to roam on any carriers that they don't have roaming agreements with. 

160 limit has been around for a long time..ever wonder why Twitter message lengths came from?

Talk about a pointless data dump.

Currently my sprint phone will let me typ the past 160 and it will auto split the message, as has every other phone I've owned in the last 8 years on Sprint service.

However, many are saying that the Sprint Nexus 5 Hangouts app won't let them type past 160 characters. It won't go past and auto split as all the photos especially have always done. Yet, those with ATT aren't having that issue.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

My theory on why the device won't connect to LTE in addition to possibly having to do with being in a B41 area:

The device might be scanning on all 3 bands even when B25 is the only one enabled.

When it sees B41 it freaks out. Possibly due to bad programming or possibly because it's trying to authenticate but the network is blocking the connection. Which may explain why it connects so briefly when cycling airplane mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No case here, no LTE since 11/5 when I received the phone. :(

Same.

Are all people having LTE issues in Band 41 markets? Is it possible your device sees the Band 41 site and not allowing you to connect to Band 25 LTE?

I don't know if the Twin Cities area is a Band 41 area, but it did have "decent" Wimax coverage, so I suspect it may be.  I am definitely having LTE issues (and by issues, I of course mean only connects when forced).

My theory on why the device won't connect to LTE in addition to possibly having to do with being in a B41 area:

The device might be scanning on all 3 bands even when B25 is the only one enabled.

When it sees B41 it freaks out. Possibly due to bad programming or possibly because it's trying to authenticate but the network is blocking the connection. Which may explain why it connects so briefly when cycling airplane mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If this is the case, I hope that now that Sprint is retailing it, that the problem will become more widespread.  I hate to wish problems on other users, but it seems like it's the only way to get a (hopefully) quick and effective fix.  Sprint has all but brushed me aside when I've inquired about it, and while their "Sprint Community" site claims that they know it's a known issue, when I spoke to someone in tech support, they checked all known issues and said that there was nothing of the sort there.

My Verizon MicroSIM card resulted in no connection. No bars shown...nothing. It wouldn't even show Verizon on the lock screen as the Carrier. Whereas Sprint actually shows up as the Carrier name when I put a Sprint SIM in. And I'm 400 miles from Sprint service! :(

under mobile networks, did you toggle between lte, 3g, 1x, etc?

They were both in well off areas in and near Boston, are reasonably good sized, and have repair sections.  One occupies around 50-60% of a former Borders bookstore so its rather large with a repair section.  I tried using the UICC keyword, the fact that its the same card as the S4 and HTC One, to no avail.  My other theory is that Boston's college techie crowd has already gone and cleaned these stores out.  I am going to try calling a few tomorrow morning when they open.

Called the two stores - still no luck but I finally got a good store rep.  He offered to run inventory on Boston stores.  When he found a few had inventory he offered to call them for me since he knows some of the reps.  Waiting for the call back now.  Whether or not it is successful he at least restored some faith in the store staff.  

Maybe some of the LTE problems are because of the scan times. I know on my Evo LTE the scan time was high so I changed it. It might be a scanning for LTE every 15 minutes for example and that's why there maybe hand off problems. Can you change the LTE scan time on the Nexus?

Maybe some of the LTE problems are because of the scan times. I know on my Evo LTE the scan time was high so I changed it. It might be a scanning for LTE every 15 minutes for example and that's why there maybe hand off problems. Can you change the LTE scan time on the Nexus?

A reboot or an airplane mode toggle causes an immediate scan and we still cannot connect to LTE. Not a scanning issue unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Well I am flying back to atlanta next thursday and there are quite a few sites in my area that have band 41 so if my nexus starts to freak out when I get back home then we know why.

• Like 3

It would be great to have a device on VZW that used AWS LTE only. It would be great for network testing.

Which variant is your HTC 8X?  AT&T?  If so, there you go.

AJ

Any chance you guys are going to price match the Play Store? I purchased my last two phones from Best Buy with their buyback program, but refuse to pay an extra $100 just because...

Best buy makes money from long term contracts not from hardware. Unlocked phones will do them no good

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Are you using WiFi Tether from Google Play?  If so, do you have WPA2 enabled?  I cannot seem to get mine configured to work properly, however using it wide open works fine.  Would you mind sharing or PM'ing your settings?

I'm using the built-in Android tethering because I pay Sprint for tethering access.  Working fine with WPA2.

• Like 3

I just got off chat with Sprint about not connecting to LTE. Looks like it is a known issue with Google Play bought devices

Olivia N.: I have found that this is one of the issues that this device is having when it is purchased from Google. You may need to speak to our technical support department for more information or to see if there is a workaround for your phone to fix this Olivia N.: You can call into care at 888-876-8381 and choose the option for tech

I will keep you guys updated.

• Like 1