Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I wonder if there will be some kind of update tomorrow with the G2 launch that might help with some of the LTE hand-off issues. Maybe even allow some connections on other bands?

Maybe something the handoffs, but nothing for Band 41 or 26. Sprint already announced that future software updates will be required to enable "Sprint Spark" (tri-band) connections. The Nexus 5 is scheduled to receive its update in early 2014.

-Mike

• Like 1

Okay, if you are a "cosplaygirrrl," then you are probably Japanese.  And if you are Japanese, then your "holy carp" is koi.

Am I right?

:P

AJ

nope but nice try, white all american cosplaygirl here (there is lots of us)

google image search cosplaygirl and you can see a pic of me ;-)

• Like 1

a few things to report, 1 good, 2 bad.

good: using the same car charger that i used with my S3, this thing charges SUPER FAST.  alright!

bad:  VOICEMAIL!!!??  what are you guys doing in regards to voicemail?  if i get a voicemail, the phone doesn't alert me with an icon, flashing light, etc.  i have to manually hold 1 to call myself to see if i have messages.  no visual voicemail, this sucks.  sprint needs to release their visual voicmail app in the play store with kitkat compatibility!

bad: mightytext.  this does not work.  maybe needs an update to work with kitkat/hangouts??!?!

http://mightytext.net/

Man, reading about all these LTE issues makes me glad I popped in the $30 T-Mobile SIM card first (once I get the S5, I'll sell the S4 and bring the N5 in to Sprint).

Maybe b/c it's GSM but my N5 LTE & voice experience on T-Mobile has been very smooth. I hope Sprint will fix their LTE issues soon. :)

thank you for the very good info, i might be going thataway

Welcome to the board. I can't believe a longtime loyal customer would be upset about a $36 activation fee. Activation fees are a part of the U.S. wireless industry. The carrier may or may not waive them. If you switch carriers there is a pretty good chance you are going to pay an activation fee to them as well.

Thanks - I have really enjoyed the S4GRU site and all of the technical info available here.  S4GRU was one of the reasons that I decided to go with the Nexus 5.  Btw, there are several other factors to the $72 story than I posted, but my main point was to try to help others get sim cards.  To be fair, Sprint did not charge me for the sim cards or for shipping, so kudos to Sprint for that.

LilG, I did some scouting and it seems to be the towers on your map that are yellow which I can't connect to.  connect to it fine with my htc one though.  wonder if there is some sort of "im not ready yet" flag its broadcasting that the non triband ones just ignore?  I pick up the tower near work fine.

a few things to report, 1 good, 2 bad.

good: using the same car charger that i used with my S3, this thing charges SUPER FAST.  alright!

bad:  VOICEMAIL!!!??  what are you guys doing in regards to voicemail?  if i get a voicemail, the phone doesn't alert me with an icon, flashing light, etc.  i have to manually hold 1 to call myself to see if i have messages.  no visual voicemail, this sucks.  sprint needs to release their visual voicmail app in the play store with kitkat compatibility!

bad: mightytext.  this does not work.  maybe needs an update to work with kitkat/hangouts??!?!

google voice

• Like 1

On Sunday I was able to order 2 sim cards from the Sprint International support group.  They shipped them on Monday and I had them 3 days later, the same day my 2 32GB Nexus 5's arrived.

Now I am fighting Sprint wanting a $36 activation fee for each phone.  Has anyone managed to get this fee waived?  I have been with Sprint for 13+ years and have been seriously considering switching carriers.  I can't believe that they would risk losing a long-time loyal customer over $72.

From what I understand, if you bought the phone from Sprint on a new line / upgrade price, you are charged the activation fee. If you bought the phone from Google, you shouldn't be charged the activation fee.

Google voice solves both those problems. I have full Google voice integration (my Sprint number is my Google Voice number), and have never used the stock messaging, or voicemail apps.

• Like 1

What's interesting is that when active Verizon SIM is inserted in Nexus 5, you can only toggle LTE Only, and 3GPP technologies. It will not allow toggling 3GPP2 at all. But then again, I'm not successfully attaching to Verizon which could explain this behavior carrying over previous (T-Mobile) settings. 

It's extremely frustrating not to be able to utilize this great Cat 4 UE on Verizon's 20Mhz B4 that's active here.

Hi, can you please describe your experience(s) with a Verizon sim in the Nexus 5 ?

As much info as you can spare would be greatly appreciated !

Anyone who is experiencing LTE connection difficulties in a live B41 area? My LTE connects fine again at home.

For those of you that are unaware, when I was at work tonight I had no LTE connection at all. Usually I have at least B25. The whole way back home there was nothing until I got on my exit. Then boom there it was. It stayed connected during the 20 min drive from there to home.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Stuck on T-Mobile prepaid Sim right now because telesales told me to go to stores and the stores were clueless and told me to go to telesales for a UICC. Sigh.

Stores should have stock for sure today?

On another note, tower crew out installing TDD-LTE equipment on the nearest site to me yesterday and probably today. Woohoo!

• Like 1

Welcome to the board. I can't believe a longtime loyal customer would be upset about a $36 activation fee. Activation fees are a part of the U.S. wireless industry. The carrier may or may not waive them. If you switch carriers there is a pretty good chance you are going to pay an activation fee to them as well.

I would not accept them and haven't since I have been here 1997 ok!

Desperately hoping that they have a patch/fix in the works for when Sprint retails the device later today, as it's beyond frustrating to not be able to connect to LTE at all (outside of forcing), with seemingly no rhyme or reason as to why it's happening.

I have no problem with LTE connection with 32gb white.

I got my Sim yesterday and have no problem with LTE where there is LTE in Vegas, which is an al market if I'm not mistaken.

One nice thing is that the signal bars don't lie and show 1x data. It is depressing because I am slipping into 1x data quite a bit at work, but at least I know. Come on network vision.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I know that. Wishful thinking I suppose, but couldn't you be on band 41 and 26 LTE without the carrier aggregation and not call it Spark?

Hey one can only hope, right! I'm with you. Will be interesting to see what magic, if any, happens today...

-Mike