Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

My reception is fine, it's just the damn mobile radio bug that is killing my battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sad that Google wasn't able to fix it from M Preview 3. That bug is what got me to go back to 5.1.1.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I am a sucker for a new version of Android. Just got the OTA and waiting on my phone to finish optimizing apps.

It should be really obvious if I have reception changes or anything from it.

edit: So far so good. I actually connect to b41 in my workplace now rather than going to the slow band 26. 

15 down is great for me here.

• Like 3

I am using my Nexus 5 with RingPlus, the MVNO. I notice a wired sitution. I was never be able to get on eHRDP. However, I could get LTE without problem.  Each time, when I drop off LTE, phone will try to connect to eHRDP and failed back to EV-DO. Where is the problem?

What I have noticed with my N5. It is not an active phone and I would get 1xRTT on my SCP app. Now it is showing LTE1900. Even thought I do not have it activated. Is this an error or did something change in SCP app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I have noticed with my N5. It is not an active phone and I would get 1xRTT on my SCP app. Now it is showing LTE1900. Even thought I do not have it activated. Is this an error or did something change in SCP app?

There has not been a public SignalCheck update in 5 months (I'm still working on it though, I promise).. did you update your version of Android recently? Some users on Lollipop or Marshmallow are seeing odd things in SignalCheck. I do have some test devices that show LTE connections even though they are not activated, but then others will not connect to LTE. It seems to vary by device/provider/system software.

-Mike

There has not been a public SignalCheck update in 5 months (I'm still working on it though, I promise).. did you update your version of Android recently? Some users on Lollipop or Marshmallow are seeing odd things in SignalCheck. I do have some test devices that show LTE connections even though they are not activated, but then others will not connect to LTE. It seems to vary by device/provider/system software.

-Mike

Yes I had just gotten the Android M OTA update. I am waiting for B26 to go live here then I was going to switch back and do some mapping.

I know Apple is very anal but is there a non jailbreak SCP for IOS on the horizon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My reception is fine, it's just the damn mobile radio bug that is killing my battery.

I should say never mind on the B41 issues. I found some in Kansas, Sprint was just in error by saying there was Spark in North Texas, lol.

Yes I had just gotten the Android M OTA update. I am waiting for B26 to go live here then I was going to switch back and do some mapping.

I know Apple is very anal but is there a non jailbreak SCP for IOS on the horizon?

Yeah SignalCheck is behaving very oddly on some devices running Marshmallow, and to a lesser extent Lollipop. Or perhaps something network-related changed in your area. But I haven't updated the app in awhile.

I doubt you'll ever see a signal monitoring app on iOS that doesn't require a jailbreak. Apple has never been open to anything like that, and developers' hands are tied. Apple not only restricts access to the most useful routines needed to develop such an app, but it will also deny any app submission to the App Store that has those sort of features. It's very strange, but it's their policy. Your best bet for now is CellularInfo, but that does require jailbreak: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6791-cellularinfo-for-ios-beta-released-was-coming-soon/

-Mike

Yeah SignalCheck is behaving very oddly on some devices running Marshmallow, and to a lesser extent Lollipop. Or perhaps something network-related changed in your area. But I haven't updated the app in awhile.

I doubt you'll ever see a signal monitoring app on iOS that doesn't require a jailbreak. Apple has never been open to anything like that, and developers' hands are tied. Apple not only restricts access to the most useful routines needed to develop such an app, but it will also deny any app submission to the App Store that has those sort of features. It's very strange, but it's their policy. Your best bet for now is CellularInfo, but that does require jailbreak: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6791-cellularinfo-for-ios-beta-released-was-coming-soon/

-Mike

nexus 6 marshmallow     the only signal check problem is 1/2 the time the sprint band number is not shown

• 2 weeks later...

Since the update battery life has been great but one thing I've noticed is that I see my WiFi appears on every so often in the battery history. I have WiFi, scanning and location completely disabled. Has anyone experienced this? Also my phone seems to get stuck in 3G alot now and has a hard time making its way back to LTE.

• Like 1

Since the update battery life has been great but one thing I've noticed is that I see my WiFi appears on every so often in the battery history. I have WiFi, scanning and location completely disabled. Has anyone experienced this? Also my phone seems to get stuck in 3G alot now and has a hard time making its way back to LTE.

It still does intermittent WiFi scans, even when turned off. :td:

Mine is doing it too.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

It still does intermittent WiFi scans, even when turned off. :td:

Mine is doing it too.

But why? I don't think I ever saw this happen on lollipop. At first I thought it was something I did since I decided to enable location and location history but even after disabling that I still see it.

But why? I don't think I ever saw this happen on lollipop. At first I thought it was something I did since I decided to enable location and location history but even after disabling that I still see it.

Why? I have no idea.

The update did the same 3g issue to my Nexus 5. It got fixed once I moved to the Nexus 5x.

Same here.

I also have a weird bug where Marshmallow is incorrectly showing battery life percentages like showing Textra taking up 20% of my battery life (it definitely isn't) while screen takes up 1% (definitely taking more)

Oddly, a reboot corrects this. I suppose I will see how my Nexus 6P fares with Marshmallow but my overall experience with it on my Nexus 5 has been about an B+.

Pros:

-Doze, when activated, is great

-Might just be my imagination but animations seem smoother

-Now on Tap is neat/gimmicky

-Voice search seems to be quicker and more responsive.

-Scrolling app drawer is an improvement IMO

-Memory/Ram management menu is a welcome change but I am not sure I have actually learned anything useful from it other than that Android OS/System UI/Android System/Google Play usually top the list every time I look.

-Text selection is much better now and I don't have to fiddle with text highlights nearly as much as I did before

Cons:

-My overall battery life doesn't seem to have improved much at all. I'd say my standby time has improved slightly thanks to Doze but Screen on Time has maybe gone down slightly.

-Like others my phone seems to want to flop to 3g more. When I enter my neighborhood there is a elevation dip where I used to switch from B41 to b26 and now I get put on 3g and it holds it. Not a huge annoyance but noticeable.

-Pull down twice to get the menu/use two finger swipe to pulldown. Why?

-Easter egg isn't really new (sorta kidding sorta not)

-Wifi issue: My phone now refuses to connect to one of my work's wifi networks (see the bug tracker here) https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=188867&q=wifi&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars Google blames the access points but unless you are in a position to influence IT infrastructure good luck getting that resolved before you buy your NEXT phone.

-Can't connect to Camera bug still exists and still requires a reboot to fix.

-Weird battery reporting like mentioned above

• Like 2

Great overview Cletus and I agree with you on all points. It seems that our issues are similar with WiFi not wanting to connect to certain networks. Doze has greatly improved standby time and I do feel my SOT has improved. I can get over 2 hours now with 25%-50% brightness. I know others have gotten more but 2 hours is OK for my use. I would like to he 5x but I'm just hesitant to purchase one since I want to see what issues there are with first gen handsets. As it is my GPS is ridiculously flakey and takes over a minute to lock on which was an issue with the first nexus 5 handsets.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else had a large battery drain showing up as WiFi in battery stats? For the last two weeks or so it's been eating 25-50% of my battery, sometimes doubling or tripling screen battery usage. I don't know if it's actually WiFi or some rogue app causing it but it's been driving me nuts. The phone won't last the whole day with an hour of screen time anymore with it happening.

Occasionally WiFi will cause a massive battery drain but a system reboot will usually fix it. I haven't tracked down the issue yet but it is annoying. Does it happen when your on a WiFi connection?

It happens at all times. Connected to WiFi at home, at work when WiFi is off etc.

Still getting massive memory leaks. 1.8 avg for all time periods. Just so frustrating. Nothing intensive, some maps, spotify and it goes to shit.

You misunderstand memory. Empty memory is wasted memory. Near 100% use is exactly what you want from memory, because the OS is maximizing its use. My 6hr average is 1.4GB and the phone is just as snappy as it was when I started it.