Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Does anyone have an opinion on whether getting a new SIM would help with LTE connectivity issues? My local store has some extras on hand

It may not help but it won't hurt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

that was easy..told them i need sim cards and they seem to know...i asked:

Hi,  

I need 2 UICC/SIM/ICCID cards for the Galaxy Nexus 5  32gb purchased through directly through Google Play Store. 2 lines on this account will be using this device but we need the card to activate.

Guess I will be ordering one or two as well

Does anyone have an opinion on whether getting a new SIM would help with LTE connectivity issues? My local store has some extras on hand

Did not help for me either. However as I posted earlier I did start receiving LTE last night (about 30 hours after activation) and have been receiving fine since. I haven't heard anyone else chime in yet that was having issues yesterday so I can't confirm that it is just a delay with provisioning or something else.

Did not help for me either. However as I posted earlier I did start receiving LTE last night (about 30 hours after activation) and have been receiving fine since. I haven't heard anyone else chime in yet that was having issues yesterday so I can't confirm that it is just a delay with provisioning or something else.

It's been about 80 hours for me (got it monday morning). Not a drop of LTE yet.

I tried an old sim from my HTC One, and a new one. Same deal, no LTE. I've had my N5 since Tuesday.

Edited by phynal

One of the last things I did was perform a profile update to see if it would change my older modem (flashed from xda) back to the newest one. It did but I did not get any lte until about 1 hour later so I don't think it was related however anything is possible. The very last thing I was doing was messing around with LTE Discovery app. I had actually just closed the app when LTE popped up. Now I really don't think that had anything to do with it just a coincidence.

As a few others have said, Best Buy carries the sim cards if you are having problems getting one. BBY sku is 8802047 (upc 760492013536) and current sell price is $29.99. I'm an employee so I didn't pay nearly that much but it was quick and easy once I found out what the sku was (the first BBYM employee I asked said we only had a few nano sims for iPhones's without even looking). Every store in my district had at least 10, I would be surprised if most other big box/bbym stand alone stores aren't the same situation. The product sku doesn't show up on bestbuy.com for some reason, so you'll need to call the store or go in and ask.

• Like 1

We don't have B26 or B41 in my area, just B25. My N5 won't connect to B25 unless I set it under dial code 4636 (phone info) and change it to LTE only. Then I can only get data and no voice.

What's weird is that when I toggle airplane mode, it says LTE for a second, drops, then connects to eHRPD. Sprint says wait til tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

For those who have rock-solid LTE, what band are you on?

Well just received my sim cards. 1 of them was supposed to go in my wife's Torque, one for my N5 and one extra for those folks that may not be able to get one. As it turns out Sprint will not allow the Worldwide UICC(sim) on the Torque and i must get the domestic sim for it. So....I will have 2 extra 3ff worldwide(N5 compatible) UICC sim cards so. If someone needs one let me know.

If the offer still stands, I wouldn't mind one of those bad boys, seems that we have a local shortage.

We don't have B26 or B41 in my area, just B25. My N5 won't connect to B25 unless I set it under dial code 4636 (phone info) and change it to LTE only. Then I can only get data and no voice.

What's weird is that when I toggle airplane mode, it says LTE for a second, drops, then connects to eHRPD. Sprint says wait til tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

I don't believe when it flashes LTE that its actually doing anything. It did that for me in a non lte area.

It's that way for all of us (regarding LTE flashing for a second) that cannot connect to LTE. I assume everyone is on B25. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm HOPING even the N5's sold from Sprint will have this issue in the areas we are seeing it in, that will light a fire under their asses to get it fixed.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a 32GB black N5, shows the shipping date as 12/3 at the moment. Now I understand how my wife feels when she sees a pair of shoes and claims that she just HAS to have them...

-Mike

I did the same, Hopefully we will see it sooner rather than later! 

Also, I just tried getting a SIM through Sprint Chat, and was told that they cannot help and you need to go to a Store.  I let the agent know that the stores i went to did not have any in stock and suggested I speak with an online rep. Oh well, fingers crossed that they are in supply when i receive my device.

I had such a bad time trying to get my phone to activate, I thought I would post it in case anyone else ran into the same issue.

I got my phone before I got the SIM and being antsy, I turned it on and set it up.  Thinking that I would just put the SIM in and activate and everything would be happy.  WRONG.  I put the SIM in and it would not connect to Sprint network.  I tried doing SCRTN and reseting my MDN and MSID and would still not get my phone to activate.  I finally gave up and decided to reset to factory image to see if skipping the initial boot with the SIM would fix it.  I boot into the bootloader(I also unlocked my bootloader as soon as I got the phone) and went to boot into recovery...... No Command with a little sad Android Icon.  I had to download the image from Google to reset back to factory, and then it worked with no issue.  Took about 5 hours to figure that out.  Hopefully I save someone some time if this is widespread.  I have the White 32GB.

• Like 3

Just wanted to be sure.  With the embedded battery I'd rather not take any chances, but I know you guys know your stuff so I completely trust your judgement.

All of the usb chargers convert from ~120V AC from the wall outlet, to 5V DC. The amperage on them is the MAXIMUM amperage they can provide. The charging circutry on the phone/battery is what determines how much current it draws, limited by the Amp rating on the charger of course. The only downside to using a charger with excessive headroom in the amperage department might be that it's less efficient than a smaller charger since it is likely to be running at a lower current draw than it was designed for.

• Like 1

So after a large headache and much time spent on the phone with various sprint reps on Monday the 5th on trying to get a UICC/SIM card, I was able to get my phone activated yesterday (Nov. 6). so far I really like the phone.

I wonder how people are doing now with getting the SIM.

Do what I did, go to a Best Buy and first see if they have Sprint SIM Cards. They wont' be free, mine cost 29.99. Before I made the purchase, I contacted customer care to see if they would be willing to credit me the amount. after explaining the full situation and difficulty in obtaining the card to activate my new phone, they were willing to credit the amount. It may or may not work for you. I might have been that lucky person.

(I hope this doesn't violate the rules, if it does, then I have no problem with the post being edited)

I went to two corporate stores, and 1 Best Buy, Best Buy said go to a Corporate store, the 1st coporate store did not have it, or know what I was talking about. The second corporate store was on point from the 1st inference.

I am all set up and running...So far I don't miss the GS3, but when I use the camera I will see. The 1st glance I think that the Nexus 5 is brighter than the GS3, but the GS3 seems to have a rich deep black and richer color appearance. I get LTE inside my house where as with the GS3 it was non existent unless I went outside. My system is set to Global just to let you know, and it was activated and set up in the Sprint store by the tech. Signal strength isn't the best and seems to fluctuate between 0-115dbm.

I did the same, Hopefully we will see it sooner rather than later! 

Also, I just tried getting a SIM through Sprint Chat, and was told that they cannot help and you need to go to a Store.  I let the agent know that the stores i went to did not have any in stock and suggested I speak with an online rep. Oh well, fingers crossed that they are in supply when i receive my device.

I got one by calling telesales, tell them what you want "micro SIM for a Nexus5" they will help you.

They put me on hold and spoke with the international dept and sent me an email later that day with the order number, might take a few weeks though they said.

888 882 4030

• Like 1

Anyone else order a black nexus 32 and sims sprint on Tuesday (11/5) or earlier and haven't gotten any info on shipping?

I ordered mine on Friday and still haven't gotten shipping info for them lol, though I did manage to get one in store.

I am glad to have found this thread/website. A LOT of good info and peoples here  :tu:

I received my shipping email from Sprint at 1:10am 'today' for my Black 16g N5 ordered on Nov. 3

It shows as UPS 2nd Day Air® and had a Scheduled Delivery: Monday, 11/11/2013, By End of Day at 6am this morning when I checked again

Now it shows Scheduled Delivery: Friday, 11/08/2013, By End of Day !!

w00t!!

Nothing like being able to play with a new phone over the weekend.

I will be comparing it to my Droid Razr Maxx HD on Verizon LTE

I happen to live in an area where both Verizon and Sprint show a low to medium, 2 to 3 bar coverage for LTE

I will be deciding on many factors on which phone and service to keep

The Maxx has done very well for me in all areas except screen size is a tad small and tapping and touching is hit or miss sometimes

Call quality, speed, build, wifi, 4g, camera, 32gig on board and 64gig sdcard, and of course battery life are all amazing.

BUT the desire to have a much 'nicer' phone, bigger screen and whatnot just may negate the 'shortcomings' of the same: 16gig on board, no sdcard, charging once a day vs every 4 or 5 days, paying Verizon $40 a month for service on our family plan, or switching myself to sprint for $90 a month. In some ways it seems like a no brainer but it is actually going to be a tough decision :-/

btw.....does anyone know if I can slap a Tmobile sim in at anytime and it will just work ? 4g too ?

or do settings need to be tweaked ?

and do I need to activate the phone thru sprint first or will a Tmo sim work right outta the box ?

Thanks in advance

Long time follower, 1st time poster.

Thought I'd finally register here to help answer a few questions I skimmed over while reading all 47 pages.

I've had my nexus 5 fully activated problem-free for 3 days now with bands 26 and 41 enabled. My band priority is 41>25>26.

I work all around Chicago as digital operations/network engineer and unfortunately, I have yet to receive any other band other than 25.

Once again, as a sprint customer, I feel taken advantage of. They announced that Chicago's Sprint Spark 'went live' a few days ago. Typical sprint fashion, promise the world yet provide the bare minimum. I know band 41 won't be "functional" for some time so I will have to wait and see.

I bought my 32gb from the play store, received it monday, went to the sprint store and asked them for a LTE micro sim for my Nexus 5. A rep had a tray full of them and just gave me one. I went home and activated my nexus problem-free.

The nexus definitely holds LTE better than my HTC One or iphone 5. Just wish the 1900 spectrum wasn't so overloaded and unusable.

I almost jumped ship years ago but loyally stuck around for their new network vision and feel very very let down. If they don't open up the clearwire band and/or 41 soon, I will finally pull the trigger and jump to AT&T.

Wait, you work in deployment for Network Vision and you feel let down?

Maybe you should read the Chicago market thread first. Otherwise you would not come across as an Astroturfer. Chicago has serious interference issues causing degraded network performance. If you worked in network deployment you would know that.

• Like 6

Is it me or the phone just love's to hang on to LTE without switching to the strongest signal...i.e. 3g. With 3g I have to set it manually, and I get 92dbm inside the house, which is stronger than the LTE 0- -115dbm. While on LTE with it set to Global it never switched to the stronger 3g signal, and people said that I was fading in and out during the call. When I manually set it to 3g people seemed to hear me more clearly.

Since Sprint and T-Mobile do not have roaming agreements with each other, you will have to swap SIMs.  The SIM in use will dictate which domestic network the handset uses.

AJ

What's interesting is that when active Verizon SIM is inserted in Nexus 5, you can only toggle LTE Only, and 3GPP technologies. It will not allow toggling 3GPP2 at all. But then again, I'm not successfully attaching to Verizon which could explain this behavior carrying over previous (T-Mobile) settings. 

It's extremely frustrating not to be able to utilize this great Cat 4 UE on Verizon's 20Mhz B4 that's active here.

• Like 2

I have Sprint Nexus 5s sitting in my cabinet at my Best Buy.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Shouldn't you be saying "I have Nexus 5s..." instead since the phone shouldn't be branded in any way?  :lol:  :rofl:

Is it me or the phone just love's to hang on to LTE without switching to the strongest signal...i.e. 3g. With 3g I have to set it manually, and I get 92dbm inside the house, which is stronger than the LTE 0- -115dbm. While on LTE with it set to Global it never switched to the stronger 3g signal, and people said that I was fading in and out during the call. When I manually set it to 3g people seemed to hear me more clearly.

It is just you! I don't have my nexus 5 yet.... :angry: