Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Switched from a GS3 to Nexus 5. I also have Sprint integration with Google Voice.

I'm getting these weird SMSs from shortcodes:

zHpZL1Zl.png

I get ones from another shortcode that are even more garbled. Calling that number says something like "Our records indicate you are calling from a SMS voice messaging equipped phone. Press 1 if you recently bought a phone that cannot do this."

Should I press one? I don't want to make some change that's going to break something.

Those texts look exactly like what happens when you put Sprint visual voicemail onto an AOSP ROM, though I think the latest CM versions are able to correctly hide those texts (I'm using SlimBean 4.3 right now on my GS3). I'm not really an expert on this, but I believe the Sprint visual voicemail app uses these SMS messages to determine whether you got a voicemail or not, and while stock ROMs know how to handle this, this functionality is not baked into AOSP, so it just comes in as a regular text.

Screenshot_2013-11-07-13-56-43.png

Sorry, I'm new to the site and am not familiar enough with which users are very knowledgeable. Anyway, I have seen some posts that state that tri-band phones will not be capable of simultaneous voice & data. Is this a known fact that is a side effect of the way that tri-band works? Or was it a design decision where you have engineering limitations that result in having to give up SVDO and/or SVLTE.

I've got an S3 and I'm pretty sure it supports SVDO. I've just been reading up and it sounds as if the S4 dropped SVDO and instead supports SVLTE. Of course who knows what the re-released S4 will support. In my case, simultaneous voice & data is a make or break feature.

According to a source who is close to OEM's, it's not that Triband devices cannot support SVLTE.  It's that getting SVLTE to work with TDD-LTE is difficult and expensive.  According to this source, Sprint has decided not to pursue it as it would drive up the cost too high for consumers.  We were told this information from this source long before Triband devices started going through the FCC, and his information has come to pass.  None of the Triband devices to date have supported SVLTE.  So we find this info to be credible.

And since more and more devices are going away from SVLTE, Sprint feels like this is not going to hurt them a lot in the long run.  So, basically, it is what it is.  Sprint Triband devices do not support SVLTE.  Perhaps in the future, Sprint may test a more expensive device that does support it and see if people are willing to pay more for it.  Who knows?

Robert

• Like 2

When you turn the screen on after it's been off for a while, does anyone's screen "shimmer" for a half minute before stabilizing and looking normal? Thinking I'm gonna have to RMA this unit.

Pre-ordered from Sprint. Think it's better to go through Sprint or Google? Do not want a refurb already...

When you turn the screen on after it's been off for a while, does anyone's screen "shimmer" for a half minute before stabilizing and looking normal? Thinking I'm gonna have to RMA this unit.

Pre-ordered from Sprint. Think it's better to go through Sprint or Google? Do not want a refurb already...

chances are they dont have refurbs yet... Doesn't sound good about the screen

Sent from my HTC ONE from Tapatalk 2

I don't think its the device.... Its got to be something else. Two different triband devices acting the same way when I had them. Both devices can't be bad...Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

When being stuck on CDMA on those towers, do you also lose data completely for a few minutes every ten minutes or so

Those texts look exactly like what happens when you put Sprint visual voicemail onto an AOSP ROM, though I think the latest CM versions are able to correctly hide those texts (I'm using SlimBean 4.3 right now on my GS3). I'm not really an expert on this, but I believe the Sprint visual voicemail app uses these SMS messages to determine whether you got a voicemail or not, and while stock ROMs know how to handle this, this functionality is not baked into AOSP, so it just comes in as a regular text.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2013-11-07-13-56-43.png

I just ended up calling the number and pressing 1, which I guess disables visual voicemail completely. Haven't seen it since.

chances are they dont have refurbs yet... Doesn't sound good about the screen Sent from my HTC ONE from Tapatalk 2

Yea, plan B: Gonna go to a Sprint corporate store tomorrow and try to do an exchange. Aggravating.

Long time follower, 1st time poster.

Thought I'd finally register here to help answer a few questions I skimmed over while reading all 47 pages.

I've had my nexus 5 fully activated problem-free for 3 days now with bands 26 and 41 enabled. My band priority is 41>25>26.

I work all around Chicago as digital operations/network engineer and unfortunately, I have yet to receive any other band other than 25. 

Once again, as a sprint customer, I feel taken advantage of. They announced that Chicago's Sprint Spark 'went live' a few days ago. Typical sprint fashion, promise the world yet provide the bare minimum. I know band 41 won't be "functional" for some time so I will have to wait and see.

I bought my 32gb from the play store, received it monday, went to the sprint store and asked them for a LTE micro sim for my Nexus 5. A rep had a tray full of them and just gave me one. I went home and activated my nexus problem-free. 

The nexus definitely holds LTE better than my HTC One or iphone 5. Just wish the 1900 spectrum wasn't so overloaded and unusable.

I almost jumped ship years ago but loyally stuck around for their new network vision and feel very very let down. If they don't open up the clearwire band and/or 41 soon, I will finally pull the trigger and jump to AT&T.

Edited by Ribeyeandscotch

Sorry, I'm new to the site and am not familiar enough with which users are very knowledgeable. Anyway, I have seen some posts that state that tri-band phones will not be capable of simultaneous voice & data. Is this a known fact that is a side effect of the way that tri-band works? Or was it a design decision where you have engineering limitations that result in having to give up SVDO and/or SVLTE.

I've got an S3 and I'm pretty sure it supports SVDO. I've just been reading up and it sounds as if the S4 dropped SVDO and instead supports SVLTE. Of course who knows what the re-released S4 will support. In my case, simultaneous voice & data is a make or break feature.

It appears the knowledgeable people saw your post and replied haha. I was going to redirect you to them  :lol:

The Nexus 5 doesn't support SVLTE at all.  Not on GSM/WCDMA carriers either.  Actually, GSM/WCDMA carriers largely do not have any SVLTE devices.  Based on a source, TDD-LTE makes it cost prohibitive to make a SVLTE smartphone.  So Sprint is omitting that support.  It also seems OEM's are avoiding trying to do SVLTE altogether.  Seems like no one wants to spend the extra money for that support.  You can still do simultaneous voice with WiFi, though.

Robert

This just seems strange to me.  Wasn't it only a couple of years ago that AT&T had a whole marketing campaign about how their iphone could use data while using voice, and others couldn't?  I wonder why they thought it was a huge deal then, but no one does now.  I mean, I know it wasn't LTE then, but still, it was a huge checkbox (or so they thought).

• Like 2

It appears the knowledgeable people saw your post and replied haha. I was going to redirect you to them :lol:

Thx. I've read enough posts to know that Robert & AJ were probably the most likely candidates to reply. I wasn't sure who else was extremely well informed and/or worked in the industry at some point.

Also, thanks to Robert and anyone who dedicates time to the site. It's a great resource.

• Like 2

Once again, as a sprint customer, I feel taken advantage of. They announced that Chicago's Sprint Spark 'went live' a few days ago. Typical sprint fashion, promise the world yet provide the bare minimum. I know band 41 won't be "functional" for some time so I will have to wait and see.

Why did you omit that in that same announcement, they said that the Nexus 5 and G2 would not receive an update to enable "Sprint Spark" until early 2014?  They didn't take advantage of you.  They told you.  They told us all.

Robert

• Like 8

This just seems strange to me.  Wasn't it only a couple of years ago that AT&T had a whole marketing campaign about how their iphone could use data while using voice, and others couldn't?  I wonder why they thought it was a huge deal then, but no one does now.  I mean, I know it wasn't LTE then, but still, it was a huge checkbox (or so they thought).

You cannot use LTE and voice at the same time.  However, you can use WCDMA and voice at the same time.  And still can.

Robert

• Like 1

No they didn't. They announced this:

The first markets with limited availability are New York, Los Angeles, The first markets with limited availability are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Tampa and Miami.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/presskits/sprint-spark.htm

They also announced at the same time, phones will be updated to access bands other than 25 in early 2014...

• Like 1

When being stuck on CDMA on those towers, do you also lose data completely for a few minutes every ten minutes or so

i have noticed that it will drop 3g completely for a few seconds and reconnect to 3g,  My HTC One will do this also but when it does drop 3g it will connect to LTE. 

EDIT: It does seem to be dropping about every ten minutes or so. 

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2013-11-07-13-56-43.png

You can also go to My Sprint and block those short codes from sending you texts.

2 questions for AJ or maybe any users

1. Since the 1x radio is technically off when connected to lte,is there an improvement in battery life?

2. Does an active data session pause when receiving a text or does it come through lte? If it does pause, how long is it?

Why did you omit that in that same announcement, they said that the Nexus 5 and G2 would not receive an update to enable "Sprint Spark" until early 2014?  They didn't take advantage of you.  They told you.  They told us all.

Robert

No they didn't. They announced this:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/presskits/sprint-spark.htm

They also announced at the same time, phones will be updated to access bands other than 25 in early 2014...

If capable phones are being released but won't allow them to utilize tri-band til early 2014, then why announce 5 markets with limited availability effective Oct 30? 

Who is this new limited rollout available to?

Why not just say Rollout effective Oct 30th with NO availability until early 2014?

I noticed last night that using WiFi tethering uses significantly less battery than it did with my GS3.  Sitting in the same spot with tethering running for 3 hours to my MacBook I went from 88% charge to 65%.  Using the GS3 in the same scenario I would lose about 50-60% battery life.  Not sure what component the difference can be attributed to (WiFi radio, LTE radio, etc) but it was a very pleasant surprise.

Well you guys convinced me with those LTE readings and the greatness of the phone.  I was leaning on getting the LG G2 and use my upgrade, but after reading all the reviews from you guys helped push me to the Nexus 5, and plus I can still use my upgrade in the next few months if I want to.  I ordered the Black 32GB from Google Play store.

I also just did a chat with Sprint, and it went very smooth and they are going to send me a SIM.  I confirmed with him that he order LTEGSM REMOVABLE 3FF USIM.  

Now my ship date does show "leaving the warehouse on 12/3" but I hope that date quickly gets bumped up.

If capable phones are being released but won't allow them to utilize tri-band til early 2014, then why announce 5 markets with limited availability effective Oct 30?

Why not just say Rollout effective Oct 30th with NO availability until early 2014?

Galaxy s4 mini, hot spots?, Dan Hesse?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Because the Samsung devices are supposed to get an update shortly after their launch, not waiting until early 2014.  Additionally, there are hotspots that use Spark now.  

You just seem to be trolling us.  First post you already said you should leave Sprint.  You seem to be an AT&T Astroturfer to me.  They keep coming back.  However, it is hard to get paid from AT&T being an Astroturfer on S4GRU, because we are just so aggressive on them and they get banned so quickly.  It's better to astroturf on a site that you can actually make money on.

Robert

• Like 8