Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Not really. Not that nice. Many of you would abuse it. And this is why we cannot have nice things.

AJ

Abuse it how?

• Move off the extremely crowded/overloaded B25
  • Take advantage of B26 which is not crowded/overloaded
  • Enjoying sprint service here
  • Not violating any terms or conditions

If sprint kept up and added another 1 or 2 B25 carriers instead of allowing them to be completely overburdened, I doubt people would care to switch.

I am surprised you are not actively promoting ways for people to get onto B26 to better balance/utilize sprint's network assets.  If the enthusiast took load balancing into their own hands, maybe that would stop frustrated customers who are on B25 and not tech enthusiasts from churning and switching to another carrier or save Sprint the money of having to add another carrier.

• Like 1

Abuse it how?

Come on.  If they could, many here at S4GRU and elsewhere would perpetually lock their handsets to band 26 -- simply because they psychologically want the greater signal strength from 800 MHz propagation -- whether or not that signal strength is even necessary.  That is not "load balancing."  In fact, it actively goes against network directed load balancing.

I think that you are letting your urban Boston experience unduly color your opinion.  The network is not overburdened on any band and is working just fine in many markets.

AJ

I don't think many care about the psychological effect of having better signal bars, what many do care about is getting usable speeds and speed tests.

As soon as any overburdened b26 became apparent, these same people who some would characterize as abusers would swiftly move to any other available unburdened band, so they can apparently continue abusing with the most efficiency.

• Like 1

Wouldn't that just lead to band 26 becoming overburdened?

Sent from my Sprint LG G3

I would estimate that the percentage of people who would want to lock their phone to a particular band (assuming it is sufficiently technical) would still be significantly less than the number of people on B25-only devices at the moment. So at least in the short term it probably would not contribute to B26 becoming overburdened in the slightest.

Besides that the vast majority of people don't even know what an LTE band, even less know which band they may or may not want to lock onto. This forum doesn't make for a very good representation of the general population after all lol.

I would only want to lock onto B26 in very poor signal strength areas where you would expect the phone to do that anyways (instead of eating battery even more by jumping around).

What is network load balancing doing then if it's not balancing the 3 LTE bands out among users? B25 is the most used and our handsets camp out on it the majority of the time, despite a faster, better connection with one of the other bands.

• Like 2

The network is not overburdened on any band and is working just fine in many markets.

AJ

Except in metro areas. Band 25 is a disaster in probably all metro areas during peak hours.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Except in metro areas. Band 25 is a disaster in probably all metro areas during peak hours.

Sent from my iPhone 6

It's not only during peak hours...pretty much almost everywhere in NYC is overburdened on b25...less than .5mbps

Anyone know of a fix for this? I have a 32Gb N5 and most of my storage is gone after installing the android 5 upgrade full flash to stock rooted. I also did a factory reset. 32 Gb phone show 9gb available of 11gb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know of a fix for this? I have a 32Gb N5 and most of my storage is gone after installing the android 5 upgrade full flash to stock rooted. I also did a factory reset. 32 Gb phone show 9gb available of 11gb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twrp->wipe->format data. If you don't have twrp installed flash it again.
  • Like 1

If anyone else experiencing 100% wake time on lolipop, I seem to have narrowed mine down by uninstalling sensorly.

I had that issue back on Kit Kat. Uninstalled sensorly and it's been working fine. Too bad, Sensorly was a great app.

Come on.  If they could, many here at S4GRU and elsewhere would perpetually lock their handsets to band 26 -- simply because they psychologically want the greater signal strength from 800 MHz propagation -- whether or not that signal strength is even necessary.  That is not "load balancing."  In fact, it actively goes against network directed load balancing.

I think that you are letting your urban Boston experience unduly color your opinion.  The network is not overburdened on any band and is working just fine in many markets.

AJ

Edit - spoke too soon, nevermind

B25 is the only band I'm receiving data. When it connects to B41 or B26, I am connected (verified via LTE Discovery) but I receive no data. Anyone know why? I just swapped SIM Cards and that seemed to help the data a little bit. 

*This is a refurbished device. Could this be the antenna? Any fix suggestions? 

What is network load balancing doing then if it's not balancing the 3 LTE bands out among users? B25 is the most used and our handsets camp out on it the majority of the time, despite a faster, better connection with one of the other bands.

It was never planned to be perfectly balanced.  Even when fully optimized, it will never balance B26 to be overburdened.  At best, it will allow people to be moved from B25 to B26 for capacity reasons until the B26 is 2/3 full.  It always needs to save a portion of B26 for people who get no other signal and have no options.  And that's the reason why, for the most part, Sprint has tried and make sure people cannot force themselves to park on Band 26 only.

• Like 1

Twrp->wipe->format data. If you don't have twrp installed flash it again.

Thanks that PLUS (for all those playing at home) a factory reset got it. Just the format data still showed,something like 11G total storage. Back to about 26.03GB available out of 26.76GB  now.

:tu:

boy this is weird.  trying to update the OTA files with custom recovery and the zip fails.  I have 4.4.4 and have for quite awhile.  The error states that it can not proceed because i have KVT49L installed..... that was software for the Nexus 7 and is the Verizon edition.  Wtf?

Project Volta has been a fail for my nexus 5. Battery life has been terrible nice lollipop. I get less than 2 1/2 hours of on screen time since the update even with low brightness. I wonder how battery life is for the nexus 6?

It's improved for me, I had nearly 3 hours of on screen time at 58% battery earlier before I hooked up the charger.

Sent from my Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop

• Like 1

It's improved for me, I had nearly 3 hours of on screen time at 58% battery earlier before I hooked up the charger.

Sent from my Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop

ya since lollipop I went from 3hrs up to 4-5 hrs sot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk