Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I have, but I haven't seen it since 4.4.3.

That's because it's "fixed" in 4.4.4, released how long ago...notice how this article, written today, talks about it like it's still 4.4.3 - at least that's how I read this:

The Android 4.4.3 update included a few tweaks to the camera code for the Nexus 5, but the next update will further optimize, and Google hopes, will finally put this bug to bed.

• Like 1

Having a problem recently (last couple of days) of going from LTE to 3G. In areas where I usually stay LTE, recently, it's been dropping to 3g and staying there until I toggle. Odd thing is, it can go back to LTE in LESS THAN 5 minutes (I hear usually it won't scan again for 5 minutes by default).

1) Anyone know what the problem is?

2) Where can i edit the LTE Scan Times (##3283# doesn't work and can't seem to find it in either *#*#3282#*#* or *#*#33284#*#*)

Having a problem recently (last couple of days) of going from LTE to 3G. In areas where I usually stay LTE, recently, it's been dropping to 3g and staying there until I toggle. Odd thing is, it can go back to LTE in LESS THAN 5 minutes (I hear usually it won't scan again for 5 minutes by default).

1) Anyone know what the problem is?

2) Where can i edit the LTE Scan Times (##3283# doesn't work and can't seem to find it in either *#*#3282#*#* or *#*#33284#*#*)

Don't think you can edit the scan times on the nexus 5. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Don't think you can edit the scan times on the nexus 5. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5

Every phone does this though, correct? If it drops to 3G, any phone, any carrier will scan what in the appropriate time, correct? As in, it'll never just go back to LTE before 5minutes

Every phone does this though, correct? If it drops to 3G, any phone, any carrier will scan what in the appropriate time, correct? As in, it'll never just go back to LTE before 5minutes

I'm not speaking for Google or anything, but my guess is they have an adaptive timer that activates an LTE scan that could probably range from a few milliseconds to 5 minutes or longer. As an example, if you just got out of LTE range and it dropped to 3G, it might scan for LTE in 10 seconds or so. After failing a couple times, it'll drop the frequency to every 1 minute or so, and after that it may go up to 5 or 10 minutes to save battery life. We don't really know what that timer is since none of us programmed the actual firmware on the phone.

I'm not speaking for Google or anything, but my guess is they have an adaptive timer that activates an LTE scan that could probably range from a few milliseconds to 5 minutes or longer. As an example, if you just got out of LTE range and it dropped to 3G, it might scan for LTE in 10 seconds or so. After failing a couple times, it'll drop the frequency to every 1 minute or so, and after that it may go up to 5 or 10 minutes to save battery life. We don't really know what that timer is since none of us programmed the actual firmware on the phone.

I wish they did.  That would be highly effective.  It seems to me, and at least on my N5, whether I am on Tmo, AT&T or Sprint, if I drop LTE, it will not reconnect again on its own for several minutes.  Even when I know I am back in coverage a mere 5-10 seconds later.

• Like 4

I wish they did.  That would be highly effective.  It seems to me, and at least on my N5, whether I am on Tmo, AT&T or Sprint, if I drop LTE, it will not reconnect again on its own for several minutes.  Even when I know I am back in coverage a mere 5-10 seconds later.

Again, I don't know how Google's firmware works. I'm just making guesses based on what guirae was seeing with picking up LTE in less than 5 minutes.

Edit: To add to that, maybe Google's timer is 2 minutes at first and then 5 or 10 minutes later. Again, I don't know.

Edited by metayoshi

That is exactly my experience. Is that the same on other tri-band devices?

That is exactly my experience. Is that the same on other tri-band devices?

No. Not all. And on AT&T, the Nexus 5 is a Quad Band device. And the problem still occurs. I can be there next to a BlackBerry Z30, HTC 8X and Samsung Galaxy Mega on AT&T LTE and they will rescan and acquire LTE between 5 and 30 seconds. And the Nexus 5 will take 3-5 minutes. So neither operating system, nor band support is relevant. The common denominator is the Nexus 5. Regardless of network.

I don't think manual would be necessary if the timer went something like;

10 seconds > 15 > 30 > 60 > 120 > 240 > 300 (5 minutes max rescan)

I wouldn't want it any higher than 2 imho.

if you were out of a sprint lte area and your battery went kaput from constant 2 minutes scans, perhaps you would change your mind, or not.

The one thing I have noticed that if the phone is an area that it has been on LTE on a regular basis and it gets kicked off, it will often (but not always) rescan and acquire LTE quickly. In a new area (for the phone), it just sits on 3G after the first time it looses it.

I think the bigger issue is after all data activity has stopped the connection stays open longer than any other phone I owned. If the connection is active no scanning takes place. It's hard to see it without Signalcheck, but if you look at it the data stream stays active for a long time after the data stopped flowing.

No. Not all. And on AT&T, the Nexus 5 is a Quad Band device. And the problem still occurs. I can be there next to a BlackBerry Z30, HTC 8X and Samsung Galaxy Mega on AT&T LTE and they will rescan and acquire LTE between 5 and 30 seconds. And the Nexus 5 will take 3-5 minutes. So neither operating system, nor band support is relevant. The common denominator is the Nexus 5. Regardless of network.

How about another Sprint device?

Anyone else put there take shorter than 3 minutes to go from 3G to LTE?