Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

All they'll say is "it's a roll out, it may take a week to reach your phone"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I went onto twitter to call out @sprint and even included @googlenexus to see what the twitter CS reps would say. @Sprint responded with the "it may take a week" bs, and all is quiet on the @googlenexus front. Oh well. Anytime this week would satisfy me. If nothing is out by the 21st, Sprint definitely got shafted by Google by announcing an update that didn't happen, and I'll be a little disappointed, but not angry or anything. If it takes a month, I'll definitely be more disappointed.

What bothers me the most is actually how much more bad rep Sprint is getting for announcing an update that will probably show up in the next few days. I went onto XDA and there's so much "more Sprint lies" BS, that I think announcing an update this early is hurting their reputation more than anything. It's kind of sad how shortsighted people are, but what can I do?

• Like 2

It's the same old idiots on XDA. Same thing, sprint announces the update and it rolls out a few days later. It'll be all dooms and gloom before the rollout hits critical mass after a few days and everything is forgotten and Google is blessed by all.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 3

Anybody call sprint and ask what the deal is?

Why would you? Sprint has no control over this update. It comes from google. Sprint has posted the previous Hammerhead updates a few days in advance of google releasing the actual update. It is going to come in fairly short order, but why contact Sprint when they have absolutely no control over it?

• Like 3

It's the same old idiots on XDA. Same thing, sprint announces the update and it rolls out a few days later. It'll be all dooms and gloom before the rollout hits critical mass after a few days and everything is forgotten and Google is blessed by all.

Sent from my Nexus 5

So spot on.  XDA is such a cluster in terms of the forums and, IMO, that's not just in terms of the typical membership but also alot of the way the place is moderated as well.  For a place with so much useful information, its not very accommodating to average people who want to learn how to do things because of all the impatience and negativity and sense of entitlement by so many of the long-in-the-teeth sect of the membership.  I used to spend so much time there, but I barely have even touched the site since I was introduced to this one.  

• Like 4

"Average people" are not watching Internet forums with baited breath waiting for a mobile phone update to hit and being concerned about whether or not it comes 1 hr, 1 day or 1 week after an Internet post that they didn't read in the first place. "Average people" will get a notice on their phone at some point and say "Hmm, wonder what this is." The people on XDA or even this forum, including myself, are the fringe of the fringe in the global mobile phone market.

"Average people" are not watching Internet forums with baited breath waiting for a mobile phone update to hit and being concerned about whether or not it comes 1 hr, 1 day or 1 week after an Internet post that they didn't read in the first place. "Average people" will get a notice on their phone at some point and say "Hmm, wonder what this is." The people on XDA or even this forum, including myself, are the fringe of the fringe in the global mobile phone market.

That will generally always be true by comparison to the overall general public, but this being the internet and the 'information age' growing daily, as more and more people migrate to mobile technologies, more and more people will also find their way to sites like these all the same.  And I believe there's more to be gained by exercising patience and tolerance in light of that fact rather than the type of reaction/response people typically get over there at least.

• Like 5

I just spoke with the same Sprint rep who initially told me it was rolling out the 14th.  She said that Google has not provided Sprint with any new information, so they believe it's rolling out.

Could it be that maybe it is being sent out by Sprint? I mean Sprint has their database of phones that are active on it's network, just like the update that went out to the N7 for Verizon. Just a thought...? I understand Google sends out the update, but if it's carrier specific then Sprint might be having a say in this, me thinks.

-Luis

I don't know why all the hate is being posted on XDA. Sprint probably got notified by Google this would be the build that's going to roll out so they posted the update notice. I would rather be aware of an up coming update rather than be surprised and wonder what its for.

• Like 1

I had a Sprint product development employee reach out to me this morning after reading this thread. His message says:

...The update is from Google going to all Nexus 5's with the same model number. Including AT&T, T-Mobile and regional comapnies. We expected it to start already. We don't know why there is a holdup with Google, but we believe it will be starting very soon. Maybe even today. Google does have to coordinate several wireless companies. Anything could hold up the final OTA. If I hear of any holdups I will let you know...

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 30

Could it be that maybe it is being sent out by Sprint? I mean Sprint has their database of phones that are active on it's network, just like the update that went out to the N7 for Verizon. Just a thought...? I understand Google sends out the update, but if it's carrier specific then Sprint might be having a say in this, me thinks.

-Luis

No, just flat out no, it's not that.  Sorry to be blunt, but it's Google that sends out the updates, not Sprint.  Sprint has no say in it.  If Sprint didn't want the Spark portion to go out or something, they wouldn't have provided that bit to Google.  They have no say in whether a new upgrade to the OS goes out or not.

That update simply made it possible to activate it on the Verizon network is why.

Which is hilarious since you didn't need the update to operate an N7 on Verizon if you had a previously activated SIM.  Hmmm and update to clear an artificial block...  

• Like 1

I had a Sprint product development employee reach out to me this morning after reading this thread. His message says:

The update is from Google going to all Nexus 5's with the same model number. Including AT&T, T-Mobile and regional comapnies. We expected it to start already. We don't know why there is a holdup with Google, but we believe it will be starting very soon. Maybe even today. Google does have to coordinate several wireless companies. Anything could hold up the final OTA. If I hear of any holdups I will let you know...

Ah ha. Eureka!

So one of the other carriers notices that Sprint is about to rollout their real network using this update and finds a "problem" which holds the update up at the last second. I am now thinking we may never see 4.4.3. Dirty pool I say.

Ah ha. Eureka!

So one of the other carriers notices that Sprint is about to rollout their real network using this update and finds a "problem" which holds the update up at the last second. I am now thinking we may never see 4.4.3. Dirty pool I say.

I guess that's possible. But I don't think that would work for long. Google will not be easily played.

• Like 1

No, just flat out no, it's not that.  Sorry to be blunt, but it's Google that sends out the updates, not Sprint.  Sprint has no say in it.  If Sprint didn't want the Spark portion to go out or something, they wouldn't have provided that bit to Google.  They have no say in whether a new upgrade to the OS goes out or not.

Yeah, this makes more sense. Sorry for the ignorance. It's just a little confusing. I understand that Apple sends out updates on their own accord, and I know that the Gnex had problems with Verizon. But hopefully it's exactly what you say!

-Luis

I guess that's possible. But I don't think that would work for long. Google will not be easily played.

Considering that network is already established and running on other phones, that feels more like a tinfoil hat approach to what is going on.

Thanks for confirming what seemed like an obvious setup. Not sure I get the complaints, we know it will be here by Monday. Considering we have waited months for it, another day or two isn't going to change much in the big picture. 

• Like 1

Considering that network is already established and running on other phones, that feels more like a tinfoil hat approach to what is going on.

Thanks for confirming what seemed like an obvious setup. Not sure I get the complaints, we know it will be here by Monday. Considering we have waited months for it, another day or two isn't going to change much in the big picture.

I must have it now! [emoji13]

Sent from my thingamabob

Ah ha. Eureka!

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.