Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

would it be possible to get it added  through google support?

they can send sprint the number???   

Doubtful, at least in the immediate sense to resolution.  It would take time.  It needs a Sprint policy reversal.  This is a deep rooted issue.  All the way to the core of how Sprint does business.

Robert

By Sprint allowing people to use the Nexus5 from the play store, they're keeping customers.

Otherwise they'd be losing more of them than they are already are.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analysts-sprint-lose-150k-subs-q4-verizon-add-15m/2014-01-16

I feel that the n5 is the only phone on Sprint that is worth having and is keeping me on their network for now.

I know others feel the same, at least one other. :)

• Like 1

By Sprint allowing people to use the Nexus5 from the play store, they're keeping customers.

Otherwise they'd be losing more of them than they are already are.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analysts-sprint-lose-150k-subs-q4-verizon-add-15m/2014-01-16

I feel that the n5 is the only phone on Sprint that is worth having and is keeping me on their network for now.

I know others feel the same, at least one other. :)

The ability to use the Nexus 5 is 100% the only reason I am on the Sprint network (albeit at an MVNO). Sprint has an astonishingly asinine policy for newer model phones being brought to MVNOs (often over a 1.5 year wait) and unless you want to pay full price through the MVNO for an HTC One/S4/LG G2 the nexus 5 is really your only alternative.

• Like 1

This is one of the few areas where AJ and I do not agree.  I completely accept his basic tenet that we aren't exactly sure of why the Tmo purchased N5's are not in the system.  It may even be that Tmo requested that the MEID's not be released to other carriers.  We should not immediately assume this is a failing by Sprint to this point.  And we don't even know if Sprint is aware of this issue or only recently became aware of this issue.

However, where I probably divert with AJ is that I believe Sprint should allow Nexus 5 MEID's to be manually added to the database.  If a customer can come to a store with the device and it can be verified as not stolen, Sprint should add the MEID and make the device usable on the Sprint network.  It's possible that Sprint is planning to do this, but trying to determine the best way to do that.  Because it is probably not a good idea just to allow it to be done on the basic call center level.

I will use a few personal anecdotes to draw my point...

The more direct one is this -- I have a Nexus 5 purchased through Google Play and activated on Sprint.  But Sprint ostensibly does not know that.  My online account does not recognize the identity of my current handset, and it prevents me from adding/changing optional services because those may be incompatible with my unrecognized handset.  Now, many of you want Sprint to open its arms to an even larger Nexus 5 pool.  In my opinion, you are just asking for Sprint to exceed its level of competence.  You are just asking for a big bag of hurt.

The less direct but still relevant analogy is the burrito biz in my college town of 100,000 people.  At the end of January 2013, Freebirds World Burrito opened a location here.  And it just closed after less than a year in business.  Roughly the same happened to Qdoba here a few years back.  Meanwhile, Chipotle has recently built a third location -- fully three locations, again, in my city of only 100,000 people.  Now, until last week, I had not eaten at Chipotle in years.  I find its quite limited menu to be dull and predictable after more than one or two visits.  Freebirds, on the other hand, has a far more expansive menu -- filled with many more interesting options and combinations than Chipotle offers.  But Freebirds failed here because it bit off more than it could chew.  It leased an unnecessarily large space and tried to provide a menu that is simply too sizable to do everything as solidly well as Chipotle does with its far more directed fare.

Likewise, many of you seemingly want to see Sprint expand its menu.  But can you recognize the risk?  Sprint already goes out of its comfort zone for the Nexus 5 and struggles with support for that existing Nexus 5 base.  Now, you want Sprint to go even further???  My suggestion is that you understand the Peter Principle.

AJ

• Like 1

The more direct one is this -- I have a Nexus 5 purchased through Google Play and activated on Sprint.  But Sprint ostensibly does not know that.  My online account does not recognize the identity of my current handset, and it prevents me from adding/changing optional services because those may be incompatible with my unrecognized handset.  Now, many of you want Sprint to open its arms to an even larger Nexus 5 pool.  In my opinion, you are just asking for Sprint to exceed its level of competence.  You are just asking for a big bag of hurt.

AJ

I'd agree with you about them opening up to all phones in general, but we know that all Nexus 5 phones of this model are identical in their capabilities and should work just fine on the Sprint network. Google should give them a comprehensive list of all the MEIDs and let Sprint import them all into it's database.

The less direct but still relevant analogy is the burrito biz in my college town of 100,000 people.  At the end of January 2013, Freebirds World Burrito opened a location here.  And it just closed after less than a year in business.  Roughly the same happened to Qdoba here a few years back.  Meanwhile, Chipotle has recently built a third location -- fully three locations, again, in my city of only 100,000 people.  Now, until last week, I had not eaten at Chipotle in years.  I find its quite limited menu to be dull and predictable after more than one or two visits.  Freebirds, on the other hand, has a far more expansive menu -- filled with many more interesting options and combinations than Chipotle offers.  But Freebirds failed here because it bit off more than it could chew.  It leased an unnecessarily large space and tried to provide a menu that is simply too sizable to do everything as solidly well as Chipotle does with its far more directed fare.

Likewise, many of you seemingly want to see Sprint expand its menu.  But can you recognize the risk?  Sprint already goes out of its comfort zone for the Nexus 5 and struggles with support for that existing Nexus 5 base.  Now, you want Sprint to go even further???  My suggestion is that you understand the Peter Principle.

Maybe you have the analogy wrong. What if Freebirds realized it was heading down the toilet before it was too late. Instead of folding, they launch their "Burrito Vision" project, guaranteeing to stay open and continue offering their most popular menu items while they radically renovate the restaurant and improve some of the menu items. During the project, some folks realize that the best burrito is no longer on the menu. A few people mention it. Then a lot of people mention it. Soon it becomes clear that the missing burrito was the best one on the menu. Freebirds doesn't want to bring it back because they need a special oven to cook that burrito--and only that burrito--in it. But the customers really want it, and whenever it comes back as a special, it is praised and sales spike. The oven is in the kitchen, but they don't want to maintain it for just one burrito.

So they don't have to bring back that burrito. But wouldn't it help keep customers coming in the door? And wouldn't ignoring those customers just give them incentive to eat at Chipotle?

-Mike

I think we've seen how well Sprint does when it stays within its comfort zone. I have a feeling that a lot of the Sprint executives will be seeking employment elsewhere if they're unwilling to change, based on what Softbank's Son has said.

But anyway, this is beside the point for this Nexus 5 issue. There is no slippery slope argument to be made here. It's the same burrito model, getting the same burrito software updates directly from Google. There is no additional load on Sprint's support or training, in fact it will make things easier for the frontline support - remember there is no marking on the T-Mobile Nexus 5 to indicate its "other" status. Their job will be much easier if they don't have to deal with some unlabeled Nexus 5's that can't be activated.

AJ

A large fact we are all overlooking in the IMEI/MEID Nexus 5 fiasco is that there is no simple verification of a device not only being not-stolen but the bigger issue of the device not being completely paid off with TMO's current non-contract uncarrier pay-for-your-phone-as-you-go scheme.  

This is most likely why Magenta has requested that Google not effectively release TMO branded N5 IMEI's into the global list for all to see.  Just my 2 cents FWIW.

• Like 1

So, I just caved and bought my first Android device. I bought my Nexus 5 from the Play store. Is activating it as easy as taking the SIM from my iPhone 5 and do a phone swap online like I have before? It'll probably be a few days before it arrives, but I want to be ready. It's going to be fun having a new toy to play with. 

• Like 1

AJ

Comfort Zone? More like.... DANGER ZONE!

• Like 2

Iphone uses a different size sim I believe. I would get a new one.

I thought I read they both used a nano SIM.

edit:

Crap. They are different.

So how do I get a micro SIM from Sprint? 

I thought I read they both used a nano SIM.

edit:

Crap. They are different.

So how do I get a micro SIM from Sprint? 

Either call them for them to mail you one. Best bet is walking into a corporate store and just let them know you ordered your nexus from the play store, they should have sim cards set aside for them. That's how it went down in Socal when I activated mine.

P.S. Call before making the trip. Some stores don't have their staff trained at all and are completely clueless about the situation.

AJ

You know, I have to agree with this.  The entire Nexus 5 launch with Google play was a fiasco.  Representatives were not trained, nobody knew how to order a SIM card, and to this day Sprint is also unable to recognize the handset attached to my account.

Maybe there is a technical hurdle within the system that prevents this but i am more apt to believe that someone at Sprint is dropping the ball and not following through to make these things work as it should.

We should be able to activate a t-mobile nexus5 on our accounts,  the Sprint website should recognize our Phones,  and we should be able to change optional services. I'm guessing the only reason why we can't is because whomever is in charge of these things is not doing there job.  

So I've made a conclusion as to whether or not the Battery Guru app works. And I can say that it really does. The app really does a great job at minimizing battery use from each and every app. On the plus side, it also didn't stop from emails and notifications from coming in.

I don't have pictures, but normally in the mornings from 7:30 to 9:30 my phone would have been at about 90%, that's not bad for two hours, but with this app, today I've used my phone how I normally do and I've talked on the phone as well for about 30 minutes, and I'm sitting at 94% almost at 10 o'clock. 

By the time I get home, I was normally around 65%-75% but now I get home with 80% and this is with mixed use at work (texting, couple calls, and some light browsing). Late at night, after watching maybe an hour of youtube videos, I end up with about 20% battery left.

The only problem that I have encountered with this app is the WiFi Management. It won't necessarily turn on WiFi when I'm at work and/or at home, but it's only happened a couple of times in the last week or so that I've been using it. Thankfully with the Nexus 5, turning on WiFi is just a long-press away.

So that's that, if you wanna try it, I'd say go ahead, you could probably gain an hour or two. Hope this helped.

-Luis

I echo the same sentiments and observations with Battery Guru. It extends standby battery life tremendously. Active use battery life is extended only minimally, if at all.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

So I've made a conclusion as to whether or not the Battery Guru app works. And I can say that it really does. The app really does a great job at minimizing battery use from each and every app. On the plus side, it also didn't stop from emails and notifications from coming in.

I don't have pictures, but normally in the mornings from 7:30 to 9:30 my phone would have been at about 90%, that's not bad for two hours, but with this app, today I've used my phone how I normally do and I've talked on the phone as well for about 30 minutes, and I'm sitting at 94% almost at 10 o'clock.

By the time I get home, I was normally around 65%-75% but now I get home with 80% and this is with mixed use at work (texting, couple calls, and some light browsing). Late at night, after watching maybe an hour of youtube videos, I end up with about 20% battery left.

The only problem that I have encountered with this app is the WiFi Management. It won't necessarily turn on WiFi when I'm at work and/or at home, but it's only happened a couple of times in the last week or so that I've been using it. Thankfully with the Nexus 5, turning on WiFi is just a long-press away.

So that's that, if you wanna try it, I'd say go ahead, you could probably gain an hour or two. Hope this helped.

-Luis

Is this battery guru on the Google Play Store is it or is it something that I have to find on xda?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My observation was that it really didn't help me much day to day- and I have a good idea why. The battery life with the N5 appears to be phenomenal with WiFi turned off. When I am out and about and manually turn WiFi off my battery seems to last forever. Likely because still searches for, and maintains a data connection(LTE) while WiFi is on. If BatteryGuru is turning off the WiFi for you guys then I'll bet you see a big difference. For me, I am in WiFi areas all day so that's my guess as to why the app didn't help me much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Also, one thing I've noticed with this phone, that's a huge difference from the HTC ONE. The camera barely uses any battery. I took the phone out this weekend to the Everglades and spent about a good 3-4 hours taking pictures (with HDR+) and video and it didn't drain it anywhere near as fast as the HTC ONE would have. 

Anyone have a similar experience?

-Luis