Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I ordered my SIM card from echat on Thursday right after I bought my Nexus 5 it from Google Play store.  It was quick and painless, but even today I still have yet to see a tracking #.  Let me know if you get a tracking #, as I might have to get back onto echat and see where my order stands.

Have you attempted to check your order status on Sprint.com?

http://www.sprint.com/personal/wireless/order_status.html?INTNAV=ATG:FT:OrdStatus

AJ

I have contacted them numerous times. Finally got someone to open up a ticket. I gave them the site location that my nexus refuses to connect to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just spent almost an hour on chat with a rep trying to address the problem. He had me changing the preferred network in the engineering screens. I can get LTE if I set it on one of the settings with LTE and then put it in global or LTE only. However, then my mobile network won't work - can't make any calls out or in. I have to put the phone on 3G, so I can make and receive calls.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Just tried my local Best Buy and they refused to price match Google Play for the Nexus 5. What a silly company decision. I guess I'll have to buy mine thru the Play Store after all.

I would have bought it online right in front of the associate.

It is commonly assumed (with some evidence) that Google is selling these at break even or a little loss. Why would Best Buy, or any other retailer, sell you a phone and lose money on the transaction. Best Buy makes their money by getting contracts signed for the carrier. They have zero reason to lose money just to make you happy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is commonly assumed (with some evidence) that Google is selling these at break even or a little loss. Why would Best Buy, or any other retailer, sell you a phone and lose money on the transaction. Best Buy makes their money by getting contracts signed for the carrier. They have zero reason to lose money just to make you happy.

It's true. The Google price is what it is b/c Google is subsidizing the cost of their Play Store N5's. Expecting others to sell at Google prices and take a loss or make minimal profit, if at all, is unreasonable.

I completely understand where you are coming from, but if I purchase the phone thru Best Buy I have the "opportunity" to buy all kinds of other things that they do quite well on.  Specifically, accessories that are always WAYYY over priced as well as their protection plan.  I just don't understand the point of NOT price matching, you leave me no choice to purchase the phone elsewhere.  $100 is a TON of money, especially considering they don't even sell the 32GB version.  Oh well.

Sorry for the long post. Upon further research into the 4GLTE connection problems I stumbled upon this article in the internal device support forums:

eCSFB Gap Talking Points

Sprint’s Network Vision Plan (Spectrum)

 Sprint’s Network Vision plan includes access to three spectrum bands, (1.9, 800 and 2.5), and LTE handsets with a single radio.

 Access to diverse spectrum assets allows Sprint to maximize capacity and coverage.

Current Sprint LTE Devices (2 Radios)

 Current Sprint LTE devices are Simultaneous Voice and LTE (SVLTE)—using two radios, one for voice and one for LTE data. This allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate at the same time.

 Dual Radio SVLTE devices can degrade the user’s quality of experience – two antennas may slow throughput at the cell edge and reduce battery life.

Future Sprint LTE Devices (1 Radio)

 CSFB and eCSFB (Circuit Switch Fall Back and enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) are features that enable single radio functionality in the handset.

o eCSFB Benefits:

§ With eCSFB implementation, Sprint will be able to offer fast LTE data speeds and 3G voice supported on single radio devices. This provides a more cost effective option for Sprint’s long-term business plans to support additional spectrum bands.

§ eCSFB is expected to improve handset battery life compared to SVLTE.

eCSFB Gap Issue – What you Need to know:

 Smart devices require eCSFB to “fall back” to 3G to accept a voice call if the user is connected to the LTE network.

 All markets need to be upgraded with eCSFB capability.

 eCSFB Gaps are only in non-incumbent markets where a site has 4G LTE and no 3G upgrade.

4G LTE integration with 3G is different by OEM type:

 Incumbent markets – LTE 4G only sites can communicate with either legacy 3G or NV 3G sites.

 Non-Incumbent – LTE 4G can only communicate with NV 3G sites; so individual sites need both NV upgrades.

LTE devices – Customer Experience

 When 4G LTE is deployed in a non-incumbent market on sites without upgrade to 3G service, there is a gap.

o Existing Devices – No Impact

o eCSFB Devices – Phone becomes 3G only device

Non-Launched Markets

 No coverage visible on Sprint.com maps but different experience for users with existing devices versus new eCSFB devices.

Launched Markets

 Sprint coverage tools will display LTE coverage. For new LTE smart device users this could be confusing since they would expect LTE and 3G coverage with the device they purchased, but would not experience LTE until the 3G network is upgraded.

Mitigation plan:

New LTE Markets

 When locking new LTE markets for announcement/ launch, eCSFB deployment status will be a factor in the analysis. New LTE markets will not be announced unless the eCSFB gap risk is low.

 Complete the build quickly in eCSFB gap impacted markets.

Acronyms

 CSFB – Circuit Switch Fall Back. It allows for single radio devices. (ERC)

 eCSFB – Enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back Next generation CSFB. (ALU, STA)

 SVLTE – Simultaneous Voice & LTE. Allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate simultaneously

 Incumbent – An incumbent market is one in which the OEM stays the same as before Network Vision

 Non-incumbent – A market in which the OEM changes as well as all of the equipment.

 ERC - Ericsson

 ALU – Alcatel Lucent

 STA - Samsung

 NV – Network Vision

 OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer (ERC, ALU, STA)

 Gap – 4G LTE on sites without appropriate upgrades to 3G service

 1.9 GHz Spectrum - Provides initial capacity and coverage for voice and data services.

 800 MHz Spectrum - Improves coverage and in-building penetration for all services.

 2.5 GHz Spectrum - Increases data capacity to support higher data demands and more users

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 12

I think I grasped that at a very low end level. Lol.

Anyone care to break it down to non engineering terms for the lay people? L

Sent from my Nexus 5

No 3G cluster launch = bad day for triband users.... FML.

• Like 2

I think I grasped that at a very low end level. Lol.

Anyone care to break it down to non engineering terms for the lay people? L

Sent from my Nexus 5

If your area has lots of purple on the map you are in trouble.

No 3G cluster launch = bad day for triband users.... FML.

Nice. Why would Sprint launch a device that was going to cause people to not get any 4G at all? What the...

So I would bet this kind of upgrade takes some time and isn't a quick fix? Maybe something Sprint drags their feet on for a lo g time?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Nice. Why would Sprint launch a device that was going to cause people to not get any 4G at all? What the...

So I would bet this kind of upgrade takes some time and isn't a quick fix? Maybe something Sprint drags their feet on for a lo g time?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Well there is a reason those sites were not upgraded already. That being said the word is sprint will try to speed up the process.

BAM. Good catch. Thats 100% the problem. Raleigh is LTE only, where I am now is LTE and 3G upgrades.

Sprint does it again. Unbelievable.

So I guess in a market like Raleigh, you might as well forget a triband device for the time being, because it's worthless.

Speed up the process? I'm not expecting that to mean much.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Edited by smorcy11

Announcement:

In anticipation of potential evidence collection and discussion, I put in a placeholder for a Nexus 5 LTE issues thread a few days ago, then hid the thread.  I will unveil it again in just a moment.  It will be retitled the LG G2/Nexus 5 LTE issues thread.  It may even expand to include Samsung and HTC tri band handsets.  We believe now that the issue has been pinpointed to be an eCSFB conflict between Network Vision and legacy infrastructure in certain markets and on certain sites.

Stand by...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-lg-g2nexus-5-lte-issues-thread/

AJ

• Like 4

If your area has lots of purple on the map you are in trouble.

According to the NV Sites Complete map here at S4GRU, my area has ZERO purple sites, does that mean I am in the clear? (Not to rub it in anyone's face if they are in a bad spot)

Announcement:

In anticipation of potential evidence collection and discussion, I put in a placeholder for a Nexus 5 LTE issues thread a few days ago, then hid the thread. I will unveil it again in just a moment. It will be retitled the LG G2/Nexus 5 LTE issues thread. It may even expand to include Samsung and HTC tri band handsets. We believe now that the issue has been pinpointed to be an eCSFB conflict between Network Vision and legacy infrastructure in certain markets and on certain sites.

Stand by...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-lg-g2nexus-5-lte-issues-thread/

AJ

... Just in time for me to likely return my triband N5, lol.

It will be helpful to have a separate thread, and I'm glad you all pinpointed the issue at least. Hopefully at least you guys can do a blog post and bring some light on the subject for others, maybe even issue a notice to all Sprint front line employees, lol!

Sent from my Nexus 5

Edited by smorcy11

I completely understand where you are coming from, but if I purchase the phone thru Best Buy I have the "opportunity" to buy all kinds of other things that they do quite well on. Specifically, accessories that are always WAYYY over priced as well as their protection plan. I just don't understand the point of NOT price matching, you leave me no choice to purchase the phone elsewhere. $100 is a TON of money, especially considering they don't even sell the 32GB version. Oh well.

I think that you are overlooking the idea that the average Joe doesn't even know to buy this phone on Google Play or even knows this phone just came out. For the common customer this phone will simply be one of many they decide between while browsing at a retailer. The techies have purchased the phone already. Retailer aren't in business to cater to techies. They are in business to cater to the 100 million people that aren't.

Samsung markets shine once again. Way to go Samsung! Hopefully Sprint will light a fire under Ericsson and get off their lazy rears and do some 3g integrations on the 4g only sites.

Sounds like none of these new devices should have launched like this. The average consumer is just going to say Sprint sucks.. Take the phone back and be done with the service.

• Like 2

... Just in time for me to likely return my triband N5, lol.It will be helpful to have a separate thread, and I'm glad you all pinpointed the issue at least. Hopefully at least you guys can do a blog post and bring some light on the subject for others, maybe even issue a notice to all Sprint front line employees, lol! Sent from my Nexus 5

As a Sprint front line employee I will do my best to spread the word.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 2