Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Does it work with any other texting apps? Like Handcent?

Just downloaded Textra and it had no problem auto splitting a 300 character text.

It's definitely an issue with Hangouts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Just picked up an LG G2 today and lo and behold it's having the same exact problems with LTE in certain areas. Definitely a Tri Band device problem.

Now to compare and contrast the two.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Interesting.  I'd like to see a few more reports, but it seems to narrow it to either a LG issue or Tri Band.  I'm inclined to lean towards the latter until proven otherwise.

Interesting. I'd like to see a few more reports, but it seems to narrow it to either a LG issue or Tri Band. I'm inclined to lean towards the latter until proven otherwise.

I almost want to say it's Tri Band. The Samsung Galaxy Mega on display at work wasn't connected while the Note 3 next to it was. Could just be coincidental but definitely isn't a scientific conclusion. I'll do more testing at work.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mostly WiFi here. ~ 28% remaining

C7CSlYnl.png

All day LTE here. ~5% remaining

9TTM3cul.png

Now, I have all bands active and I am not in a 26 or 41 market. I'm going to try this same test tomorrow with those bands off to see if anything changes. I would say this is with light use.

EDIT: Band misnumber.

what's your screen on time?

got to be something to do with the spark update due out in early 2014. I believe the lockdown they have in place is not working properly.

Yeah, maybe you're correct.  It may be locking some of us out of the 1900 MHz 4G band.

Saw this over in the Sprint Community thread regarding N5s not getting LTE (reference: https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/138887?start=0&tstart=0)

Guy asks this question:

Everything I have read concerning Sprint LTE is that you cannot do voice / data at the same time. Since they are only starting to bring up a few LTE towers in my area I have no experience with this. I can state that when I am in LTE I can still make receive calls as it auto switches out if LTE to voice. Once I complete my call it switches back to LTE. I definitely loose all data while on a call. Could Sprint verify this is true since it might put some of the questions on this subject to rest.

And this was the answer from the Sprint rep:

Simulatenous voice and LTE does work on Sprint with all devices except for iPhones. However, if you're in an area where towers are still undergoing testing the functionality may be disrupted.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

:wall:

I mean, if you don't know the answer, don't you either find out, or just not answer? I get that this goes against what has been the trend, I mean, I was even surprised, but I'm not answering officially for the company.

• Like 1

Got my Nexus tonight from Sprint.  Really like the phone so far overall.  Had no issues activating it.  It came with the SIM pre-installed.  Just had to call an automated number to finish the port from Verizon, and in a couple of minutes it was done.  I don't live in a part of town that has LTE yet, so have not been able to test the LTE reception yet.  I should get to try that tomorrow.  

There is one area of concern that I was wondering if somebody could help with.  The Sprint Nexus 5 is totally unbranded, has no carrier apps, and appears to be the exact same as the play store model.  The only difference is that it came SIM pre-installed with no SIM removal tool and had sprint branded manuals.  Also on the blue sleeve on the outside of the box was the normal Sprint disclosures that basically says the device is locked to Sprint.  I don't have an active SIM for another carrier to test so hopefully somebody else could check this out.  It would be dissapointing if this was the case.  

Got connected to LTE on first boot.. inside my house I had -99 dBm whereas my friends Galaxy S3 on LTE had -108 to -114 so at least a minimum of 10 dBm better than the S3 which puts it right at the top of the LTE RF hierarchy. Issue is now my phone won't connect to LTE... sigh..

Just picked up an LG G2 today and lo and behold it's having the same exact problems with LTE in certain areas. Definitely a Tri Band device problem.

Now to compare and contrast the two.

Damn, this makes me feel good.  I'm sorry man...  This Nexus phone has been one hassle after another from the very moment I received it but this makes me feel so much better. 

• Like 1

Got connected to LTE on first boot.. inside my house I had -99 dBm whereas my friends Galaxy S3 on LTE had -108 to -114 so at least a minimum of 10 dBm better than the S3 which puts it right at the top of the LTE RF hierarchy. Issue is now my phone won't connect to LTE... sigh..

Maybe it's feeling a Band 41 signal and doesn't know what to do?

Few things I've noticed with the G2 and Nexus 5

The screen on the G2 is gorgeous.

The LTE performance on the Nexus seems better.

G2 is really slippery to hold. The Nexus 5 is really grippy.

Battery life is better on the G2 as expected.

The Nexus 5 still has the best value and I can't wait until these LTE woes are solved.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Maybe it's feeling a Band 41 signal and doesn't know what to do?

I actually did connect to Band 41 TD-LTE for a few seconds after a PRL update before i got kicked off. Can't get any LTE now still. 

• Like 2

just checking in to say the phone is lovely, super fast, comfy in hand and then some, awesome display....and the battery life is extraordinary !!

they finally got a Nexus 'right' (sorry to the LTE issue laden comrades :( )

i disabled quite a few things fine, installed textra, gone is hangouts

i hate all the extra crap, nowadays specially from google

btw, don't bother installing too many of your 'apps' for a few weeks or more (month or two)

not compatible yet, just enjoy the vanilla juicyness for now for what it is !

• Like 2

Just to clarify for you guys.. SignalCheck should "pick up" LTE on any band -- it will just not tell you which band is connected. What was removed in the last update was only the Band 41 indicator, because it was not as accurate as I hoped. Right now, the app will just indicate that you are connected to LTE, no matter if it's Band 4, 13, 25, 26, 41, or any other.

tprevett, when you were connected to LTE, what did SignalCheck show instead?

For the record, I have not seen any indication that anyone with a Nexus 5 has connected to any LTE other than Band 25.

-Mike

From the Signalcheck Pro description:

What's New

Version 4.171 (11/6/2013):

Removed recognition of Sprint LTE Band 41 connections. Feature will be improved and included in a future.

From the Signalcheck Pro description:

What's New

Version 4.171 (11/6/2013):

Removed recognition of Sprint LTE Band 41 connections. Feature will be improved and included in a future.

you quoted the guy who made the app...:D 

• Like 6

I can put on my construction worker costume, come knock on your door, and take a look at your "sector."

31Ngniblk7L.jpg

:P

AJ

crude, just another guy with a 'big tool' (so he declares) when I actually have to break out my magnifying glass and tweezers when 'push comes to shove'

been there done that

and someone else said a female amongst a 'sausagefest', a dude btw with a corny avatar

why would another guy be thinking about all the other penis's surrounding him ??

strange to say the least....

and why can't a lady/woman/female join a forum and not be lambasted with crude statements and treatment ?!!!

FFS a woman wants romance, flowers and niceness before you get 'in her'

and any asshat who doesn't get that, well don't even try

• Like 10

just checking in to say the phone is lovely, super fast, comfy in hand and then some, awesome display....and the battery life is extraordinary !!

they finally got a Nexus 'right' (sorry to the LTE issue laden comrades :( )

i disabled quite a few things fine, installed textra, gone is hangouts

i hate all the extra crap, nowadays specially from google

btw, don't bother installing too many of your 'apps' for a few weeks or more (month or two)

not compatible yet, just enjoy the vanilla juicyness for now for what it is !

What app did you replace Hangouts with? I'm not crazy about it, specially switching from iOS 7 where iMessage is pretty good.

• Like 1

What app did you replace Hangouts with? I'm not crazy about it, specially switching from iOS 7 where iMessage is pretty good.

textra seems to be the most compatible, up to date, lean and mean app right now

hangouts sucks (disabled), and all the extra crap google is 'pushing'

nice phone but uh, i have smarts, duh

• Like 1