Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

Downloaded the update during my lunch and it seems to have fixed the LTE issue.

I was getting band 26 for a while, but it's fallen back to regular LTE.  Actually the band 26 was a stronger signal than the non-band 26.

Something I noticed today. My s5 wouldn't stay connected to an overloaded band 25 lte site. It bumped down to 3g. Which worked fine. Meanwhile my wife's q10 would not let go of the overloaded lte. And she couldn't use the Internet at all. This was in lower Manhattan. So I'm not sure if this was on purpose or a network issue but my s5 was smart enough to drop a crowded 4g link

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Edited by mc_gusto

Love this phone. Here in South Florida, at least in the spots where I've been, it has had no problems dealing with LTE bands 25 and 41, as well as 3G. Voice has been rock solid. Great upgrade from a Photon Q.

How to set band 41 as first priority any know how if possible .

I don't think it's possible as Sprint's network decides which band works better for you.

I'd love to have B41 as top priority.

Is it just me or is the time the screen stays on during the lock  screen super fast?? 
When I press the power button the lock screen stays on for only 1.5 seconds or something like that.

I feel like if im reading the screen without unlocking it goes dark really fast.

Am I missing something in the settings?

How to set band 41 as first priority any know how if possible .

I don't think it's possible as Sprint's network decides which band works better for you.

I'd love to have B41 as top priority.

Priority only applies to the initial scan after a phone restart, prl update, or coming out of airplane mode. The network determines what band you are to be on based on the load on the others, and probably numerous other complicated factors. If you have a triband device, I believe priority is always b41, then 25, then 26. However, due to areas where overcrowding is occurring on b25, it'll often switch you between 41 and 26. 

TL;DR: Network controlled. You can't do anything about it.

Was in baltimore in spark area did not change b41 had airplane it and got 37 down thwn next tower back 25 .

My question is this: why do we have to airplane toggle the S5 in a Spark area just to get LTE??? Sorry if im beating a dead horse here but it just doesn't seem right. :wacko:

• Like 1

My question is this: why do we have to airplane toggle the S5 in a Spark area just to get LTE??? Sorry if im beating a dead horse here but it just doesn't seem right. :wacko:

don't whine, just get lte discovery from the app store

sent by tapatalk from my LS-980 (G2)

• Like 1

How do you force lte only

Dial ##DATA# then go to edit. To access that you'll need your MSL code. You can get your MSL code from Sprint chat.

Once you have your MSL code, scroll down, and you'll see LTE only mode.

I've had the S5 now for about a week or so and I can say that the dBms are worse than the S4, BUT I get very usable connection when on LTE even with -117 or lower. I only drop to 3G in locations my S4 had 3G and no LTE. So all in all, I think the dBm conversation is true that it's weaker but it still works about the same.

Otherwise, what bugs me about this phone is the same old Samsung laziness in updating apps for new phones or hold over bugs in software. For example, the "blocking mode", which I use every night, no longer turns off the notification led when it disables the notifications. This is a ridiculous omission on their part and now I stare at a blinking led all night on my night stand. Why does it not work as it did on the S4?

Second, the Bluetooth car kit pairing on CDMA versions of S5 still doesn't work with Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep Uconnect stereos appropriately. It's a specific issue with Samsung phones and CDMA networks. It's perpetuated itself in every Samsung software version since 4.1.2, despite Samsung and Sprint knowing about it.

Third, they moved the voice control of camera BACK into the ridiculous S-Voice application. They moved this in and out from S-Voice in earlier updates for S3 and S4. Point being I can't stand S-Voice and would love to disable it, but can't any longer if I want to use the "cheese" command in the camera. This is a useful feature, S-Voice is not.

Fourth, the rear camera is spectacular. Love the low light, HDR stuff. Why is the front facing camera such garbage??!?! Seriously, can't pack more than 2mp in there? Can't have it have proper white balance? Can't have it take a picture without it being super grainy if you're not in direct sunlight? This camera sensor hasn't changed since the S3.

Fifth, the USB door is annoying and I know we all feel like we're going to snap it off. I know why it's necessary and that's fine because I love that it's waterproof. Why not just put a wireless charging back on this by default??? Because the they can get $30 out of users that care, that's why. It's greedy and lazy. You covet Apple so much, just crush them with every feature they don't have. Wireless charging should be a standard.

These things are annoying and lazy by Samsung. But I'm a slave to it because of removable battery. So I'm just going to piss and moan about it but there's nothing I can do. Don't get me wrong, the phone is great and incredibly fast but seriously, fix these things.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've had the S5 now for about a week or so and I can say that the dBms are worse than the S4, BUT I get very usable connection when on LTE even with -117 or lower. I only drop to 3G in locations my S4 had 3G and no LTE. So all in all, I think the dBm conversation is true that it's weaker but it still works about the same.

Otherwise, what bugs me about this phone is the same old Samsung laziness in updating apps for new phones or hold over bugs in software. For example, the "blocking mode", which I use every night, no longer turns off the notification led when it disables the notifications. This is a ridiculous omission on their part and now I stare at a blinking led all night on my night stand. Why does it not work as it did on the S4?

Second, the Bluetooth car kit pairing on CDMA versions of S5 still doesn't work with Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep Uconnect stereos appropriately. It's a specific issue with Samsung phones and CDMA networks. It's perpetuated itself in every Samsung software version since 4.1.2, despite Samsung and Sprint knowing about it.

Third, they moved the voice control of camera BACK into the ridiculous S-Voice application. They moved this in and out from S-Voice in earlier updates for S3 and S4. Point being I can't stand S-Voice and would love to disable it, but can't any longer if I want to use the "cheese" command in the camera. This is a useful feature, S-Voice is not.

Fourth, the rear camera is spectacular. Love the low light, HDR stuff. Why is the front facing camera such garbage??!?! Seriously, can't pack more than 2mp in there? Can't have it have proper white balance? Can't have it take a picture without it being super grainy if you're not in direct sunlight? This camera sensor hasn't changed since the S3.

Fifth, the USB door is annoying and I know we all feel like we're going to snap it off. I know why it's necessary and that's fine because I love that it's waterproof. Why not just put a wireless charging back on this by default??? Because the they can get $30 out of users that care, that's why. It's greedy and lazy. You covet Apple so much, just crush them with every feature they don't have. Wireless charging should be a standard.

These things are annoying and lazy by Samsung. But I'm a slave to it because of removable battery. So I'm just going to piss and moan about it but there's nothing I can do. Don't get me wrong, the phone is great and incredibly fast but seriously, fix these things.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

are you on the ND2 baseband?