HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

How do you guys like the phone ? I've been thinking on getting the h/k edition . Do you guys recommend this phone ?

Sent from my iCrap using Tapatalk

Like it? I LOVE it! Literally the best phone I've ever owned. Used to be an Apple fanboi, but this one just blows the iPhone out of the water. Absolute best phone you can get, especially the H/K model. And don't believe the camera reviews. I've gotten some fantastic shots out of this one....not perfect, but definitely no worse than the iPhone 5S or Lumia 1520 I've owned. Was going to post a few photos here, but doesn't look like we can attach files to posts. :(

• Like 3

I'll be in a non-Sprint area in a couple weeks in northern WI, I'll see if it works there... will be roaming on VZW and Cellcom. Coverage map seems to only show data roaming in the Cellcom areas, but voice roaming on VZW. The VZW area used to be Alltel with EV-DO roaming but they've downed me to 1X in the past 3-4 years

Was anyone able to confirm for certain that Verizon data roaming works on the HTC One M8?

I'm trying to pick between the LG G2 vs LG G Flex vs HTC One M8, and I'm heavily leaning in favor of the M8. But I *need* the Verizon 1x data roaming, and the coverage maps on Sprint are scaring me.

I'm hoping it's just a map glitch -- I can't imagine why some Spark devices would get Verizon 1x, and others wouldn't. But it would be cool to hear that first hand from someone who actually has the device.

Was anyone able to confirm for certain that Verizon data roaming works on the HTC One M8?

I'm trying to pick between the LG G2 vs LG G Flex vs HTC One M8, and I'm heavily leaning in favor of the M8. But I *need* the Verizon 1x data roaming, and the coverage maps on Sprint are scaring me.

I'm hoping it's just a map glitch -- I can't imagine why some Spark devices would get Verizon 1x, and others wouldn't. But it would be cool to hear that first hand from someone who actually has the device.

Yes, data roaming on vzw 1x works on the M8.
  • Like 1

Although I still can't roam, I discovered something that may be related to my problem:

When I force to CDMA only, it connects to 3G, but again, no data. Same thing as when I force roam on Verizon. However, when I pop the sim card out and put it back in, then my 3G (sprint) connects. But if I toggle to 4G and back to 3G, I lose data again.

This does not work when roaming, but maybe there's a connection here.

Ideas? Is this a bad sim card? phone? Other?

Although I still can't roam, I discovered something that may be related to my problem:

When I force to CDMA only, it connects to 3G, but again, no data. Same thing as when I force roam on Verizon. However, when I pop the sim card out and put it back in, then my 3G (sprint) connects. But if I toggle to 4G and back to 3G, I lose data again.

This does not work when roaming, but maybe there's a connection here.

Ideas? Is this a bad sim card? phone? Other?

Did you try redoing self activation?

Yeah but I'm not sure if that ever worked. I always get a message saying the device is already activated.

It's not the self activation from menus, but a code you type into the dialer. I'm on the train, so hard for me to look it up, but I think I posted steps this forum.

Found the instructions to do self activation, but now I can't make or receive calls. I try to make a call and I get some guy saying "The number you are trying to call is incorrect". The only thing that DOES work is 4G data. Weird.

4G gets activated via SIM. Are you on Sprint's network while doing this? Did you wait for PRL and Profile updates to complete after the reboot? It probably won't hurt to do it again. These are the steps that Sprint did in the store to fix my phone when it was having connectivity issues. The latest software update from HTC luckily did away with the need for that. Do you know if your M8 got the HTC update last month?

Martin

Yes, on Sprint's network.

I never saw PRL or Profile updates... it just reboots after I hit the ok button. Maybe that has something to do with it. I've never been able to do a PRL or Profile update or Hands Free Activation. None of those things ever worked on my phone. The HFA would always pop up but never activate. It would say its already been activated, but every time I reboot the thing tries to reactivate. I go to self activation and it says its activated.... but maybe not now that I reset it.

I did get the update last month.

I was able to chat with a Sprint rep online and he was outstanding. What ended up fixing it was a power down of the phone & they did some sort of refresh on their end to reconfigure my device, I powered back up and did an update profile. Now I can make calls and (4G) data works.

However, 3G data still doesn't work....which was the original problem. :-)

Hey guys is normal to see the WiFi and 3g symbol together on the status bar? First day with the phone I couldn't figure it out how to remove the 3g when connected to WiFi made2ema.jpg

Send from my HTC ONE M8 H/K y que!!!!

Hey guys is normal to see the WiFi and 3g symbol together on the status bar? First day with the phone I couldn't figure it out how to remove the 3g when connected to WiFi made2ema.jpg

Yes, it is normal, as you can see in my screenshot below...

epa5eqyj.jpg

It just shows that your phone is receiving WiFi and 3G, which means that if you were to lose your WiFi connection (move out of range), your phone would ' fall back' to the available 3G connection.

Additionally, when I am in 4G LTE coverage are, and on WiFi (like at the office), I see both the WiFi icon, and the Sprint Spark LTE icon in the notification bar.

• Like 1

Hey guys is normal to see the WiFi and 3g symbol together on the status bar? First day with the phone I couldn't figure it out how to remove the3g when connected to WiFi

Yep. That's one thing that annoys me about the m8.

Just root and you can get that removed when on wifi.

• Like 1

It's windroid a good way to unlock and s-off my phone?

Personally I don't use "toolkits" to unlock and root, I just hop right into adb myself, you get a better learning experience that way but using a toolkit is definitely the easiest way to go.  Just remember that the first step, which is unlocking the bootloader, will completely wipe the device so just make sure you back up anything you want to keep.

• Like 1

So I finally decided to jump over from the Evo 4G LTE to the M8. I was debating going with the LG G2, but I really wanted that headhphone jack on the bottom of the phone. That and the better build quality/Sense UI was the winner for me.

Any improvements in the 1x/evdo signal compared to my old phone? I know it is a better performer for Band 25 LTE (of course the E4GLTE can't even DO band 26 or 41).

So I finally decided to jump over from the Evo 4G LTE to the M8. I was debating going with the LG G2, but I really wanted that headhphone jack on the bottom of the phone. That and the better build quality/Sense UI was the winner for me.

Any improvements in the 1x/evdo signal compared to my old phone? I know it is a better performer for Band 25 LTE (of course the E4GLTE can even DO band 26 or 41).

1xRtt and EVDO should be stringer than most devices out today. HTC's 3G radios have always been super strong in my testing.

Any idea when WiFi calling gets enabled?

I'm willing to bet our next update will have WiFi calling.

Kind of a minor thing, but the H and T have fallen off the back of my phone now...

lolwut

lolwut

How does that happen?

No idea, a couple of days ago I pulled it out of my pocket and felt something tacky in the middle of the phone. Flipped it over, and the T was stuck to my finger. Same thing happened with the H a day later. Now I'm left with a lonely C.

What my phone looks like now:

r2GBh6N.jpg

• Like 1