HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

I'm finding the opposite with mine; the phone seems to stick to 3G until I airplane mode cycle or wait an awful long time til it figures out there's LTE in the area. Prior to the update it would grab LTE more often. Maybe it's an area thing... eCSFB seems to be fine here, but still waiting on B26 on some towers and they've started installing B41 equipment recently. Not sure if that would have anything to do with my issue.

I had the same problem after the update, phone was mostly stuck on 3G in known LTE areas and had to cycle airplane mode.

Called HTC & the tech suggested removing & reinstalling the simcard. That solved the problem for me, so give it try and hope it works for you too

Edited by dlocks

Well, I'm back on a working M8. The local store ordered me one after I added TEP to my account, and it ended up being a new phone, not a refurb. After doing the urgent update I seem to be picking up very steady signal, but I realized that at home I'm bouncing between two towers. I just upgraded to SignalCheck Pro and noticed depending on where I am in the house, it'll jump between towers.

Well, I'm back on a working M8. The local store ordered me one after I added TEP to my account, and it ended up being a new phone, not a refurb. After doing the urgent update I seem to be picking up very steady signal, but I realized that at home I'm bouncing between two towers. I just upgraded to SignalCheck Pro and noticed depending on where I am in the house, it'll jump between towers.

Happens to me too because I'm equidistant between two towers and both of them have LTE. 

I've seen my phone jump between 3 different sites and bands from these sites while streaming video and not as much as one stutter

Sent from my HTC M8

That's perfectly normal to bounce between towers. On LTE I bounce between two of the upgraded sites near me, on 1x/EVDO, I bounce between the 3 nearest sites. 

I've got a problem that I've come to the end of my ideas list on...

I had my M8 set up so that I could force roam, it would use a PRL that prioritized Verizon 3G for data (56019), and I could use that for internet. I tried it out when I set it up, and worked great. Really never actively used it though.

Now a few weeks later I notice that its not working! Phone says something like I don't have data roaming enabled, or simply it cannot connect to a data connection.

A few things to note:

- I am using a custom ROM 'ViperOneM8'

- In between the time when the roaming data apparently stopped, I upgraded ViperOneM8 from 1.6.0 to 1.7.0. I also upgraded the Radio firmware.

- I played around with Tasker and may have inadvertently shut off something while playing with the things you can control in the system.

- PRL I tried using are 56015 and 56019.

- I see nothing under Mobile Networks regarding turning data roaming on or off. I have seen in other places online saying there should be some options here, but I have none of that.

- I used Tasker to check a data roaming option and it was enabled.

- I wiped the phone and reverted back to the original stock ROM, however the PRI & PRL did not downgrade.

- Also tried re-installing the ROM but to no avail.

- I've also never been able to update the PRL, Profile or successfully run the activation on the phone since I've had it. This hasn't been a concern for me since the phone IS actually activated with Sprint, but Hands Free Activation doesn't think so. I just freeze some of the apps with Titanium that give me reminders and its all good. Also it was this way back when the data roaming DID work, so although I don't think this is related I thought I'd mention it.

The one thing I'm curious about is the PRI version. It seems that no matter what firmware package I run or RUU back to stock the latest PRI from the most recent Firmware package I flashed is stuck there. PRL also doesn't change unless I explicitly update the PRL.

I think there is *something* that is telling the phone that it cannot use data when roaming. I'm just not sure what. I don't think it's some sort of restriction from the provider side. I've never even really used the data other than to test it, and haven't heard of others having a problem.

Edit:

I just noticed when I'm on Sprint 4G every 10-30 seconds I get a notification icon that when I pull down says "Unable to establish a wireless d" ... which I'm assuming is continuing to say "...wireless data connection...". This only lasts for about 5 seconds and then goes away, then comes back again every 10-30 seconds.

Thoughts?

I respectfully don't think that's the issue though. It worked when I first put it on, and when I just reverted back to the original 51098 right now, it still didn't help. I keep getting an error about data roaming not turned on.

There's a chance you were roaming too much and Sprint simply disabled data roaming for your account.
  • Like 1

I had the same problem after the update, phone was mostly stuck on 3G in known LTE areas and had to cycle airplane mode.

Called HTC & the tech suggested removing & reinstalling the simcard. That solved the problem for me, so give it try and hope it works for you too

Thanks! Tried that and it seems to be working better now.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a problem where if you're using data while driving, you're attached to band 26, and you're traveling through a known band 41 area, but the phone refuses to leave band 26? I found it will only connect to 41 after the data session stops. I drive while using tunein (broken truck radio) and this phone clamps down on band 26 like a hungry pit bull, completely bypassing all the band 41 sites.

Does anyone have a problem where if you're using data while driving, you're attached to band 26, and you're traveling through a known band 41 area, but the phone refuses to leave band 26? I found it will only connect to 41 after the data session stops. I drive while using tunein (broken truck radio) and this phone clamps down on band 26 like a hungry pit bull, completely bypassing all the band 41 sites.

Active data sessions do make a transition more difficult. It needs an opportunity to scan to see if another band is available. 

Active data sessions do make a transition more difficult. It needs an opportunity to scan to see if another band is available.

But shouldn't the tower automatically switch me? Or would that disrupt the data stream, so it doesn't switch me.

I'd be surprised if that's the case... I never roam other than to set this up in case I ever need to roam.

I've been having some issues with no roaming data lately myself.  I decided to visit sprint.com/coverage and select the HTC One M8.  I have noticed that for some reason our device is excluded from the majority of nationwide roaming.  If you select the HTC One M7 for example roaming data returns to the map.

An example, the light pink or purple you see on the left edge is data roaming in Mississippi.  The surrounding states indicate none for the M8.

KaxFKLX.png

• Like 1

But shouldn't the tower automatically switch me? Or would that disrupt the data stream, so it doesn't switch me.

I'm not entirely sure. I know that an active data session will keep your phone from scanning for LTE if you are on 3G.

I know that when I initiate a data session, it will kick me to a different band, usually to band 26, I don't think I've seen it switch while a session is ongoing.

Also, if your device does not know that Band 41/26 is there, the network will not be able to switch you. The network moves you around based upon the readings that your device is reporting back. So if it was unable to scan for Band 41, it doesn't know it's there, so the network can't move you.

• Like 1

I've been having some issues with no roaming data lately myself.  I decided to visit sprint.com/coverage and select the HTC One M8.  I have noticed that for some reason our device is excluded from the majority of nationwide roaming.  If you select the HTC One M7 for example roaming data returns to the map.

An example, the light pink or purple you see on the left edge is data roaming in Mississippi.  The surrounding states indicate none for the M8.

KaxFKLX.png

Oh my God you're my fricken hero. Here I've completely wiped my phone and restored it like 3 times and it's something as simple as Sprint is farking us. I'm just so glad to at least know that it's not my setup. Thanks so much!!! Now maybe I can sleep at night (and dream about Verizon).

So I was not dreaming when I saw that. Something weird is up. I put the HTC One M8 in and am seeing the same thing in Sprint's coverage.

As far as VZW they have massive CDMA issues of their own. I know as my driver is currently a VZW iPhone 5S. Their voice quality blows because they've compressed everything down to the most low level in order to keep calls from dropping. That's how they keep reliability. They gut voice quality. On my VZW line I might as well use VoIP FaceTime Audio. I can get better voice from tying two cans together with a string.

And VoLTE isn't a great fix for them either unless they can get eSRVCC to hand off to their legacy network without a hitch. Good luck with that Big Red.

KaxFKLX.png

Oh my God you're my fricken hero. Here I've completely wiped my phone and restored it like 3 times and it's something as simple as Sprint is farking us. I'm just so glad to at least know that it's not my setup. Thanks so much!!! Now maybe I can sleep at night (and dream about Verizon).

I don't know if that device specifically does not have roaming, or if it's an issue with the Sprint maps. We all know how good they are...

I don't know if that device specifically does not have roaming, or if it's an issue with the Sprint maps. We all know how good they are...

It does seem odd that only M8 wouldn't have much roaming. But it does correlate with my problems and uh60james issues. Maybe others can chime in on if roaming is working on your Sprint M8s? Also, there appears to be 'some' roaming coverage, so before commenting make sure your roaming status on the sprint site to see if it matches up.

Key thing here I think is data roaming... I can roam just fine, but I can't transfer data while connected to a roaming network.

Roaming hasn't been any issue for myself in the past with my M8. But then again, I haven't travelled much this year and it's kind hard to switch to VZW roaming in NYC when your coverage matches VZW's nearly everywhere.

I'll be in a non-Sprint area in a couple weeks in northern WI, I'll see if it works there... will be roaming on VZW and Cellcom. Coverage map seems to only show data roaming in the Cellcom areas, but voice roaming on VZW. The VZW area used to be Alltel with EV-DO roaming but they've downed me to 1X in the past 3-4 years (even though I thought VZW was supposed to honor the roaming agreement through 2015 when they took over Alltel).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk