HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

I thought as much, and told him that this could not be a phone issue but a network issue. He never agreed, but he never disagreed either.I thought that CSFB issues were related to data only?

More info on CSFB: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

CSFB is the way a single path device is able to recieve texts and calls while on LTE. CSFB must be enabled on 1x and each LTE band at each cell site. If there is an issue with CSFB at a particular site or on a particular band, you will have issues getting calls and texts. Generally, if there is a CSFB issue, your device will be forced back to 1x/EVDO to allow you to get calls and texts. Given that, you should not have to be in CDMA Only mode in order to get calls and texts. 

• Like 1

More info on CSFB: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

CSFB is the way a single path device is able to recieve texts and calls while on LTE. CSFB must be enabled on 1x and each LTE band at each cell site. If there is an issue with CSFB at a particular site or on a particular band, you will have issues getting calls and texts. Generally, if there is a CSFB issue, your device will be forced back to 1x/EVDO to allow you to get calls and texts. Given that, you should not have to be in CDMA Only mode in order to get calls and texts.

Nitpick. Sprints implementation is eCSFB.

Sent from my Nexus 5

During my travel to and from work, i have noticed that i can now keep an LTE connection the whole way. I knew there was LTE there because my S4 kept a connection, so I had CSFB issues before. But now that i can keep an LTE connection, i thought the CSFB issues had been resolved. No such luck i guess. 

Thanks for all the clarification.

During my travel to and from work, i have noticed that i can now keep an LTE connection the whole way. I knew there was LTE there because my S4 kept a connection, so I had CSFB issues before. But now that i can keep an LTE connection, i thought the CSFB issues had been resolved. No such luck i guess. 

Thanks for all the clarification.

If you're able to keep an LTE connection, that should indicate the issue has been resolved. If there is an issue, your device should be forced to 3G. A very weak LTE signal can result in missed calls/texts. 

I hate it when mommy and daddy fight.

But I love my m8 now that all the eCSFB issues in my area appear to resolved. Now if I can get some band 41 action I would be happy as a pig in... Well you know

Sent from my HTC M8

• Like 1

If you're able to keep an LTE connection, that should indicate the issue has been resolved. If there is an issue, your device should be forced to 3G. A very weak LTE signal can result in missed calls/texts. 

Hmmm. i dont think it is low signal when the calls wont go through, but it is definitely sitting on LTE. Ill have to check.

Nitpick. Sprints implementation is eCSFB.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I thought one of the NV OEMs was doing plain CSFB. I know Samsung was doing eCSFB, but IIRC either E or AcLu was doing CSFB.

I thought one of the NV OEMs was doing plain CSFB. I know Samsung was doing eCSFB, but IIRC either E or AcLu was doing CSFB.

Both Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent can do basic csfb with their old lucent and Nortel sites. All of them will be doing eCSFB on their network vision upgraded equipment.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Hmmm. i dont think it is low signal when the calls wont go through, but it is definitely sitting on LTE. Ill have to check.

I checked on my way home and the areas where i was having issues previously were not in low signal areas for either LTE or 1X. Having said that, I had no issues on my drive yesterday or this morning. Maybe the re-provisioning of my phone did actually do something?

I wanted to share my experience of using the Sprint HTC M8 in Europe with SIM.  First of all, you'll need to call Sprint and ask them to either:

1) Enable international roaming

2) Unlock the SIM in the M8 for international SIM cards - Each SIM has a country code of the provider, so phone will only play nice with non-US SIMs. Don't expect to pop in a T-Mobile SIM before your trip until next January.

I picked option #2.

To help the phone out and keep it from scanning for CDMA and LTE bands not present, I set the phone in GSM/UMTS mode ONLY. Obviously, you need to enable "Allow GSM data" too.

I only purchased SIMs in Austria and Poland, as I couldn't find a cell store in Croatia's little towns we visited.  Specifically, I purchased data-only packages - ones you'd use in an iPad or tablet - so phone had no voice or sms connectivity, although I could use skype or google voice as needed.

In Austria, my speed test was 3-5Mbit down and 2.5 Mbit up. In Poland, I'd get 7Mbit down. Definitely fast and with full bars signal strength nearly everywhere I went.  I saw LTE being pushed everyone, but I can understand why there's demand in Europe for non-LTE phones with speeds like that.  Battery life was easily 2x as good as I get in US.  I never got an LTE since our phone is locked to relatively rare bands of 25, 26 and 41.  For reference, in Poland, 15 GB of LTE costs equivalent of $19. Compare that to we get charged here in the US and weep.  

The phone performed well, although in Austria, the data connectivity would hang couple times a day, and I had to resolve it by toggling Airplane Mode. I suspect that GSM modes are not as thoroughly tested on the M8.  The SIM was also setup with a Pin Lock (something that I didn't know about), and so I needed the PIN handy as I couldn't navigate the german menus to disable it.  When you have an international SIM in the phone, there's a SIM Tools app that appears which seems to navigate a menu system that's driven by the SIM in the local language.

My other gripe is with LTE support. Any iPhone you buy in the US supports LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26,  Sprint HTC One only does 25, 26 and 41 which is hardly used elsewhere in the world. I wish is for HTC to release a single model for all US carriers - possibly by using Qualcomm's RF360 to support more LTE bands.  VZ and AT&T clearly got dibs on LTE bands that are more commonly seen around the world. While I can understand that HTC might not carry as much weight as Apple when it comes to that, HTC has no excuse in their GPE models that are T-mobile only and unlocked.

Ping me if you have any questions about that.

I checked on my way home and the areas where i was having issues previously were not in low signal areas for either LTE or 1X. Having said that, I had no issues on my drive yesterday or this morning. Maybe the re-provisioning of my phone did actually do something?

im starting to think i have a defective phone. no problems on Wednesday, but the problems returned on Thursday. I watched the phone switch to 1x when i called it, but no ring. I even switched it to CDMA only, no ring. Switched airplane mode off and on, no ring. Rebooted, no ring.

does this sound like a netork or a phone problem. im beginning to really believe its a phone issue.

Anyone else having issues with Acrobat Reader temporary freezing phone and not opening the document? I need to use this for work and it's aggravating. Sometimes i have my Tab3 and have to use that to look at a PDF because of this.   

im starting to think i have a defective phone. no problems on Wednesday, but the problems returned on Thursday. I watched the phone switch to 1x when i called it, but no ring. I even switched it to CDMA only, no ring. Switched airplane mode off and on, no ring. Rebooted, no ring.

does this sound like a netork or a phone problem. im beginning to really believe its a phone issue.

Have you tried redoing self activation?

Are you in a market that's launched?

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

Have you tried redoing self activation?

Are you in a market that's launched?

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

Absolutely, on both. the problem seems to clear up and re-appear randomly. im waiting on the network group to call me back at this point.

Absolutely, on both. the problem seems to clear up and re-appear randomly. im waiting on the network group to call me back at this point.

Do you have some sort of blocking mode or do not disturb turned on?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Do you have some sort of blocking mode or do not disturb turned on?

None that i can find, and it randomly stops/starts working again.

and i can see the phone switching to 1x to receive the call via signalcheck, but it doesnt actually ring.

Edited by kc5gtz

Well I wound up with an s5. I got the HTC one m8 hk edition 3 days ago and things seemed ok at first...but it was short lived. At home, in range of airave, things seemed great. But we went out for our 16th wedding anniversary on the evening of 6/06 and I tried using GPS, which for some reason wouldn't pull up my previous location history. I had also noticed on the drive that places where my wife (gs5) was getting great LTE, but I thought maybe doing an SCRTN would help. So when I got home, I did the SCRTN, and it pulled programming from the airave...and I figured all was well with it.

I left yesterday morning and went to get some stuff, and the parking lot where I went is about a -95 LTE signal normally (per my G2 and her gs5). I say for 30 minutes in that parking lot doing another SCRTN, and watching signal bars jump from 1 to 5 to 3 to roaming 1, etc. Never held steady at all. I decided to call Sprint, and couldn't. It finally went from native 4 bars to roaming and the call went through, but before I could get through the computer prompts, the thing dropped out signal and call lost. That happened two more times, so I came home. At this point, this is a problem..I'm unable to make calls on native or roaming, even after this second SCRTN. The signal bars keep jumping and switching native to roam...and I called Sprint from home...they recommended taking it in.

Since I got that speaker, I just wanted a new HTC. When I went to the store, an HOUR away, these people refused to swap my phone. They said they would be glad to give me a different phone, but said if I got another HTC one m8 it would have the same issue, and it was something just in our area. I was hot! I'm within fourteen days and shouldn't be forced into something different, so I left with the same phone I went in with. Came home, called, and the rep called the store for me. They told her "no we won't give him another m8 because it's a problem in our area and a new phone will have the issue too"

She said I should just get a refund and go to a different store, even though she agreed it sounded like a phone problem with my device. Long story short, I went back to the store, another hour drive up there, and because of time, I had to just get another phone. I'm so unhappy with Sprint right now but what can I do?

This store was very rude and I've never felt more unappreciated as a customer...no matter if there was a prob with all HTC one phones they should do what I wanted. Had I got another m8, then I could not take it back because I'd be locked, but now I'm locked on this gs5...all because they didn't want to do what the customer asked. I wasn't at all rude either, until I had spent 3 hours on the road because of them...still don't understand their line of thinking. Coming from a LG G2, I didn't have the prob..But I should have according to them since all new phones do. Even though the HTC wouldn't work on native band 25 or roaming either...and the carrier fallback has been patched in this area.

Well I wound up with an s5. I got the HTC one m8 hk edition 3 days ago and things seemed ok at first...but it was short lived. At home, in range of airave, things seemed great. But we went out for our 16th wedding anniversary on the evening of 6/06 and I tried using GPS, which for some reason wouldn't pull up my previous location history. I had also noticed on the drive that places where my wife (gs5) was getting great LTE, but I thought maybe doing an SCRTN would help. So when I got home, I did the SCRTN, and it pulled programming from the airave...and I figured all was well with it.

I left yesterday morning and went to get some stuff, and the parking lot where I went is about a -95 LTE signal normally (per my G2 and her gs5). I say for 30 minutes in that parking lot doing another SCRTN, and watching signal bars jump from 1 to 5 to 3 to roaming 1, etc. Never held steady at all. I decided to call Sprint, and couldn't. It finally went from native 4 bars to roaming and the call went through, but before I could get through the computer prompts, the thing dropped out signal and call lost. That happened two more times, so I came home. At this point, this is a problem..I'm unable to make calls on native or roaming, even after this second SCRTN. The signal bars keep jumping and switching native to roam...and I called Sprint from home...they recommended taking it in.

Since I got that speaker, I just wanted a new HTC. When I went to the store, an HOUR away, these people refused to swap my phone. They said they would be glad to give me a different phone, but said if I got another HTC one m8 it would have the same issue, and it was something just in our area. I was hot! I'm within fourteen days and shouldn't be forced into something different, so I left with the same phone I went in with. Came home, called, and the rep called the store for me. They told her "no we won't give him another m8 because it's a problem in our area and a new phone will have the issue too"

She said I should just get a refund and go to a different store, even though she agreed it sounded like a phone problem with my device. Long story short, I went back to the store, another hour drive up there, and because of time, I had to just get another phone. I'm so unhappy with Sprint right now but what can I do?

This store was very rude and I've never felt more unappreciated as a customer...no matter if there was a prob with all HTC one phones they should do what I wanted. Had I got another m8, then I could not take it back because I'd be locked, but now I'm locked on this gs5...all because they didn't want to do what the customer asked. I wasn't at all rude either, until I had spent 3 hours on the road because of them...still don't understand their line of thinking. Coming from a LG G2, I didn't have the prob..But I should have according to them since all new phones do. Even though the HTC wouldn't work on native band 25 or roaming either...and the carrier fallback has been patched in this area.

Wow! That sux....I have had my M8 since March, I have not had the problems that you experienced. Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

Also, for the record, I agree with you that it sounds like you had a defective phone.

Sprint rep in my area told me not to get the M8 HK due to issues with holding signal. Came here to sort out if this was just eCSFB or hardware not sure if I want this device yet. In my area I'm dealing with lacking/bad signal on 3g. 4g is just reaching out here. Was offered an airrave... No way won't help my calls in town. So is the Nexus 5 doing better with signal for now? I really want the camera and speakers my wife's m7 is killer.

Thoughts?

That sounds like a non-corporate store. Sprint really needs to do something about uneducated/non compliant retail outlets.

• Like 2