Sprint Coverage map updated to 4/8

dkyeager

Sprint's map shows a pocket of off-network roaming around my mom & dad's house 2 hours south of here, and yet 'fair' 4G LTE coverage most of the way around that pocket.

The biggest problem with this is the fact that the closest Sprint tower at all is a good 5-6 miles away in north Alabama as the crow flies, and even if the tower has very recently been LTE updated and the acceptance just hasn't made it to Robert yet, I can guarantee you there's no way LTE signal would make it up there much less even further north of it, because I constantly am flipping between the faintest of Sprint 3G data signals (even after being NV 3G complete) and roaming on Verizon at mom & dad's, and even a little over a mile back on the main highway (mom & dad's place is a little over a mile down a state road east of the main 4-lane), I can barely hold onto a Sprint 3G data connection there either.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would bother wasting time with the Sprint map assuming they have any knowledge of Sensorly.com to begin with.

I agree 

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would bother wasting time with the Sprint map assuming they have any knowledge of Sensorly.com to begin with.

Because hardly anyone who maps on sensorly goes down every side street, especially in rural areas. For instance there's a stretch of fairly dark purple and dark purple right along the major interstate in my area where I can't get LTE on my n5(the best rf phone there is to date) even if I force it, run the .15 radio, and uses all the tricks in the book to connect...so sensorly can be wrong too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Because hardly anyone who maps on sensorly goes down every side street, especially in rural areas. For instance there's a stretch of fairly dark purple and dark purple right along the major interstate in my area where I can't get LTE on my n5(the best rf phone there is to date) even if I force it, run the .15 radio, and uses all the tricks in the book to connect...so sensorly can be wrong too.

It can be wrong or off to some extent sure, and then there are always going to be device RF performance variances....but its still typically far more accurate (or can be extrapolated from what *is* there to give a much more accurate perception of reality) by comparison IMO.

It can be wrong or off to some extent sure, and then there are always going to be device RF performance variances....but its still typically far more accurate (or can be extrapolated from what *is* there to give a much more accurate perception of reality) by comparison IMO.

Oh believe me I get what you're saying. My point was that in my case my phone beats every other phone in rf, so I should get signal everywhere anyone else can. Its just an instance where sensorly is flawed, all the maps have their issues with sensorly being one of the few that seems to have the potential to only get better.

Edited by kojitsari

Also because these are the maps that Sprint's support uses, they should really fix them. They tell customers they can get LTE at their location but yet they can't. I asked a couple reps why the map shows LTE coverage in voice roaming areas. I always got the answer that Sprint hasn't added voice to those new towers yet and they are data only right now. ;)

• Like 3

I asked a couple reps why the map shows LTE coverage in voice roaming areas. I always got the answer that Sprint hasn't added voice to those new towers yet and they are data only right now. ;)

I literally don't know how I would have reacted if a Sprint rep said that to me, particularly if it was live in a store.  My kneejerk thought is that I would be laughing too hard to breathe and just walk out the door with tears streaming down my face, assuming I didn't just pass out from oxygen deprivation first.

• Like 1

I literally don't know how I would have reacted if a Sprint rep said that to me, particularly if it was live in a store. My kneejerk thought is that I would be laughing too hard to breathe and just walk out the door with tears streaming down my face, assuming I didn't just pass out from oxygen deprivation first.

Keep in mind that in store reps are only trained, pushed and graded on sales. They literally do not give a f--k about technical knowledge at the rep level. id take most on this site over everyone besides maybe 5 sprint retail employees I've ever met in 3 years at sprint.

And don't get me started on customer care they are even worse.....

Edited by S4GRU
edited the F word
  • Like 2

Keep in mind that in store reps are only trained, pushed and graded on sales. They literally do not give a f about technical knowledge at the rep level. id take most on this site over everyone besides maybe 5 sprint retail employees I've ever met in 3 years at sprint.

Oh I know, I just meant that I'm not sure I would have been able to control my reaction to hearing that stated even with the knowledge.  I'd love it if people like you, koi and others here were more indicative of the typical Sprint store or customer service rep.

• Like 1

Why are carrier maps stuck in 1995?

I think everybody prefers the sensorly style google masp overlay.

Yeah, even if it *were* halfway accurate (and it isn't), I have both a high end PC fully updated as well as a 28ms ping/just shy of 20Mbps connection as indicated by a Speedtest I just ran as I'm typing this, and it takes a good 10-15 seconds minimum just to zoom in one single notch on that thing from the full starting continental US view.  Even accuracy aside, that kind of responsiveness, or lack thereof, isn't exactly what you want to have representative of you when you're trying to lure potential customers, and definitely an area they will hopefully improve upon.

I like the Google overlaid network.sprint.com maps. They work well. Sprint should just overlay its signal exactly the same way.

And while they're at it, they can also make the data accurate. ;)

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Keep in mind that in store reps are only trained, pushed and graded on sales. They literally do not give a f--k about technical knowledge at the rep level. id take most on this site over everyone besides maybe 5 sprint retail employees I've ever met in 3 years at sprint.

Regardless if this true or false, what do you think the percentage of customers is that would understand honest technical terms? You, I, and the rest of S4GRU are at an advantage for a couple different reasons but what about the vapid, empty headed masses that only care if their phone works or not and how it impacts their texting and FB?

Also because these are the maps that Sprint's support uses, they should really fix them. They tell customers they can get LTE at their location but yet they can't. I asked a couple reps why the map shows LTE coverage in voice roaming areas. I always got the answer that Sprint hasn't added voice to those new towers yet and they are data only right now. ;)

I wish they would finish out builds so they can say there is even some lte there...

like north of salt lake....its in enough "main" areas, that i can keep a pretty good signal OUTDOORS....now go in and it kicks back to 3g....   but at least its there "mostly"

just need to hurry up the acceptances...and if its back haul...tell me and ill go floorguy them  :ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:   (inside joke to the utah market)

• Like 1