Sprint Wifi Calling

Ryan

Cellular phone calling is about 150 ms lag, which is pretty bad already (2 cell phones then is 300 ms)

Wifi calling tends to be double that, and makes for a bad to terrible experience...1/2 second and longer delays piss people off. Also wifi calling often has volume issues, and the higher latency results in echo and bigger echo cancellation problems.

I notice the volume issues when I use Skype every once in a while. Calls weren't too bad for lag time, at least not for me.

Yeah. I never thought it all the way through the process. Now I remember using a voip on my tablet and the lag was awful. But we had a voip home line and it had very little' date=' if any, lag. At least I never noticed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk[/quote']

That would be a wireline VOIP like cable, right?

• 2 years later...

I wonder if there is a list of sprint Phones that have WiFi calling already.  I have found Samsung Mega and S4 mini.  

I am sure that WiFi calling lag stems from speed of the sever that processess the call and the phones speed to transmit and receive the data and processe it from and back into sound from a digital file.

I wonder if there is a list of sprint Phones that have WiFi calling already.  I have found Samsung Mega and S4 mini.  

I am sure that WiFi calling lag stems from speed of the sever that processess the call and the phones speed to transmit and receive the data and processe it from and back into sound from a digital file.

If you go through this thread you should be able to piece it together. It's not that many.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5700-wifi-calling/?hl=%2Bwifi+%2Bcalling

• 1 month later...

WiFi calling was working fine on my new GS5, then yesterday, it failed with connection errors. This has been reported by other members in the GS5 thread. Have other members with different phones experienced the same problem in the past 2 days??

EDIT: It came back to life without explanation this afternoon (7/4).

WiFi calling was working fine on my new GS5, then yesterday, it failed with connection errors.  This has been reported by other members in the GS5 thread.  Have other members with different phones experienced the same problem in the past 2 days??

This is happening today on my GS5. Worked 100% solid up until today. Now it has a connection error.

Yeah I've been getting connection errors with wifi calling on my Note 3 since yesterday. Perhaps they're tinkering with the back end in preparation for supporting international wifi calling...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally got echat to Reprovision my s5. Now it works. Does the notification always ask about updating location settings? And if I'm in lte only mode does wifi calling still work?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Finally got echat to Reprovision my s5. Now it works. Does the notification always ask about updating location settings? And if I'm in lte only mode does wifi calling still work?

Like this? If so then yes. Its for 911

uploadfromtaptalk1404616906003.jpg

Like this? If so then yes. Its for 911

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2014-07-05-23-21-14.png

I figured as much. Just wish they could've combined the wifi icon with the wifi calling icon. Cause if you have calling, you have wifi. Seems like a waste of status bar real estate.

And I just realized my other question was dumb. If I have wifi I don't have the need for lte only mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Do anyone know if you are on Wifi call, will it hand it over to a tower if you leave Wifi signal?  If it does not I think I might see a problem with Comcast new public Wifi policy they have.

Do anyone know if you are on Wifi call, will it hand it over to a tower if you leave Wifi signal? If it does not I think I might see a problem with Comcast new public Wifi policy they have.

It does not hand off calls to the macro network. If you leave your WiFi coverage it will drop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a situation that might be a problem when and if I enable Wifi calling. Others might possibly have this problem also. 

I'm on Comcast. I have my own modem (Not one their FYI). I still connect to Comcast on other ppls open network as I drive down the road with only using my pw and log in with my home Wifi (not sure how they are doing it). I do not have Wifi calling yet, but the way I figure it, is if I'm driving down the road and connect someone's Wifi and get a call. It will just drop it. And also might just pick up the next houses Wifi and have it happen again. This can really upset some ppl. especially if they don't know what's going on or have ppl think there is something wrong with their phone. 

I know the solution is to turn off Wifi or not have Wifi calling. But ppl should be aware that this situation might occur.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a situation that might be a problem when and if I enable Wifi calling. Others might possibly have this problem also. 

I'm on Comcast. I have my own modem (Not one their FYI). I still connect to Comcast on other ppls open network as I drive down the road with only using my pw and log in with my home Wifi (not sure how they are doing it). I do not have Wifi calling yet, but the way I figure it, is if I'm driving down the road and connect someone's Wifi and get a call. It will just drop it. And also might just pick up the next houses Wifi and have it happen again. This can really upset some ppl. especially if they don't know what's going on or have ppl think there is something wrong with their phone. 

I know the solution is to turn off Wifi or not have Wifi calling. But ppl should be aware that this situation might occur.

Don't think that is quite how it works.  Sprint WiFi calling is linked to specific, named WiFi access points (i.e., your router), and requires you to enter the street address where the router is located.  The generic Comcast access point name will be different from your router name, so there should never be a problem.  If you would connect your WiFi calling into the generic Comcast access point name, I suppose in theory there could a problem, but since you are not using a Comcast modem (hence, you are also not using Comcast WiFi), I don't see how that would happen.

I have been using WiFi calling on my Comcast Xfinity cable LAN for a couple of weeks now, with almost zero problems.  I do not connect through the Comcast WiFi (and I have also blanked out the public access point, which I ranted about in another post), but rather I connect through my own 5 GHz router.  When I leave my house, WiFi calling shuts off and I go on the Sprint network, and when I return home, it seamlessly turns back on. 

• Like 3

Don't think that is quite how it works.  Sprint WiFi calling is linked to specific, named WiFi access points (i.e., your router), and requires you to enter the street address where the router is located.  The generic Comcast access point name will be different from your router name, so there should never be a problem.  If you would connect your WiFi calling into the generic Comcast access point name, I suppose in theory there could a problem, but since you are not using a Comcast modem (hence, you are also not using Comcast WiFi), I don't see how that would happen.

I have been using WiFi calling on my Comcast Xfinity cable LAN for a couple of weeks now, with almost zero problems.  I do not connect through the Comcast WiFi (and I have also blanked out the public access point, which I ranted about in another post), but rather I connect through my own 5 GHz router.  When I leave my house, WiFi calling shuts off and I go on the Sprint network, and when I return home, it seamlessly turns back on. 

OK, I didn't really know it worked that way. I figure if you had Wifi connected, weather be a hotel or a restaurant, then Wifi calling would work.  I see you have to register with your phone per access point. That would fixes the issue I'm talking about then.

Now for G2 to Wifi calling now.

• Like 2

Does any one know if text or mms will come through when on WiFi calling?

Wifi calling benefits both voice and text services. I'm pretty sure it works for mms as well

Yup, both text (SMS) and MMS work.

• Like 2