Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

You *may* be able to get 1x on Sprint and EVDO on Roaming. I've had that happen before. But Sprint EVDO has to be out of range. And it doesn't seem to work that way with all devices.

Do you recall any correlation between that native CDMA1X + roaming EV-DO split and SVDO handset capabilities?  In those handsets, CDMA1X and EV-DO were on separate RF paths.  The native + roaming split does not seem to happen often, if at all on modern single RF path handsets.

AJ

Do you recall any correlation between that native CDMA1X + roaming EV-DO split and SVDO handset capabilities? In those handsets, CDMA1X and EV-DO were on separate RF paths. The native + roaming split does not seem to happen often, if at all on modern single RF path handsets.

AJ

Maybe I can show proof sometime if I see it again. But it periodically happens to me on my nexus 5 in reverse (roaming voice, native data) at work.
  • Like 2

Maybe I can show proof sometime if I see it again. But it periodically happens to me on my nexus 5 in reverse (roaming voice, native data) at work.

My Note 4 does this as well, roaming voice and native data.

• Like 1

Just had it happen on my Nexus 6, I think. It's hard to tell, since EVDO doesn't show the carrier. But 1x was Verizon at -90 and EVDO was -102. Is there a way to verify who the EVDO carrier is?

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

Just had it happen on my Nexus 6, I think. It's hard to tell, since EVDO doesn't show the carrier. But 1x was Verizon at -90 and EVDO was -102. Is there a way to verify who the EVDO carrier is?

Sent from my Nexus 6

Looking at the engineering screen.

Got it.

That is not in Overland Park, is it?  Where did you take that screenshot?

AJ

Houston

Gotcha.  VZW Kansas City is SID 59, not SID 12.  But it would not have shocked me if VZW had consolidated many SIDs across the center of the country.

AJ

Gotcha.  VZW Kansas City is SID 59, not SID 12.  But it would not have shocked me if VZW had consolidated many SIDs across the center of the country.

AJ

I visit family in Houston in the summer and unfortunately Sprint still needs to densify around here. On the other hand, I do get to see strange scenarios like above.

I achieved this by grabbing a weak LTE signal and starting to download a file. Move the phone around a bit to get a hand off to Sprint 1X/eHRPD. While still maintaining the data connection with the download, I placed a variety of grips on the phone on and off until Sprint 1X was lost and Verizon 1X was picked up. If you grip too long, you'll lose eHRPD. Too short, and you won't drop Sprint 1X.

I can't remember the last time I dropped LTE in Overland Park, they have an outstanding network there (as they should, headquarters and all.)

• Like 3

Who is Sprint's roaming partner in Montana? According to the maps, Sprint has off-network EVDO roaming in Billings and North Central/East Montana.

We are not discussing that here any longer.  We are discussing it in this thread:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7080-wahoo-us-cellullar-and-other-ev-do-roaming-is-live/

AJ

Apparently in the latest update that enabled CA on certain devices there is a menu to enable LTE roaming. Not that it is active yet, but it is a indication that we are getting closer. Will it take another update to get Nexus devices to LTE roam or will it be a simple profile update?

• Like 2

Apparently in the latest update that enabled CA on certain devices there is a menu to enable LTE roaming. Not that it is active yet, but it is a indication that we are getting closer. Will it take another update to get Nexus devices to LTE roam or will it be a simple profile update?

Hmmm, I've had the LTE roaming option on my S6Edge since I got the phone. Which phones are seeing the new menu option?

• Like 1

I thought CCA coverage was going to be pseudo native?

Pseudo-native are only for those that signed up in addition to the Sprint SNA agreement. It has additional stipulations and requirements that must be upheld in order for recipricol native roaming.

CCA only serves as a means for carriers to efficiently and easily sign roaming deals with each other at a much cheaper cost. Hence EVDO roaming being enabled for CCA partners both ways. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly relevant article posted in the EV-DO roaming thread, "U.S. Cellular to launch LTE roaming in next 60-90 days":

Hmmmm.....

-Mike

• Like 7

Possibly relevant article posted in the EV-DO roaming thread, "U.S. Cellular to launch LTE roaming in next 60-90 days":

Hmmmm.....

-Mike

This will be huge for the Wisconsin Sprint market where USCC is mature and pervasive in the western half of the state that's devoid of Sprint coverage. 

• Like 4

This will be huge for the Wisconsin Sprint market where USCC is mature and pervasive in the western half of the state that's devoid of Sprint coverage.

Sadly, a roaming deal is no guarantee of Sprint getting access to the USCC network. It is always possible that they just are paying the partner to roam on their network. Honestly, if Sprint doesn't change the roaming cap, access to USCC LTE doesn't mean much either.
  • Like 3

Sadly, a roaming deal is no guarantee of Sprint getting access to the USCC network. It is always possible that they just are paying the partner to roam on their network. Honestly, if Sprint doesn't change the roaming cap, access to USCC LTE doesn't mean much either.

My understanding was this would be a RRP agreement where the LTE roaming would be considered "native"? Maybe that's changed? Haven't kept up with this in a while.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

• Like 1