Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

I would agree with this new statement, if "launch VoLTE" meant "release devices that have VoLTE + CDMA support, but only use CDMA by default" similar to what Verizon has today with iPhones, until that time in the future "once the LTE network is dense enough"

But if you remember, that's a big shift from what you wrote just this morning. You originally said "Sprint doesn't need to densify" for VoLTE, which is why I wrote all the stuff about why it's necessary (in most but not necessarily all markets).

1) Yes I too agree with VoLTE + CDMA devices, I'm hoping my current iPhone 6 will be one of the first!

2) The thing is if you compare Sprint's PCS based CDMA network to band 26, in theory everything should be covered so density wouldn't be needed except for department stores, malls, and Walmart due to poor penetration still. If you also consider 1x800 however, we do need much more density and coverage, but that's where 600MHz comes in, small cells for this year, and hopefully new macro sites.

Unfortunately, only new macro sites we'll see this year will be in Montana and rural states.

1) Yes I too agree with VoLTE + CDMA devices, I'm hoping my current iPhone 6 will be one of the first!

2) The thing is if you compare Sprint's PCS based CDMA network to band 26, in theory everything should be covered so density wouldn't be needed except for department stores, malls, and Walmart due to poor penetration still. If you also consider 1x800 however, we do need much more density and coverage, but that's where 600MHz comes in, small cells for this year, and hopefully new macro sites.

Unfortunately, only new macro sites we'll see this year will be in Montana and rural states.

There's barely a diff between 800 and 600 lte.

I definitely agree that Sprint needs to do a better job at making its network more dense.  I just wish Sprint took all the Nextel sites that were not co-located and did full NV builds on them.  I can identify a few Nextel sites which would have made perfect NV sites to provide coverage and capacity located in shopping malls which badly need the coverage and capacity.

No. There will be organic macro expansions in almost all markets pending the approval of funding. 

Also this thread is NOT about site density or whatnot. This thread is about Sprints roaming alliance agreements and etc. Bring those topics to the appropriate threads..

Back onto roaming related items..

MFBI will be utilized when LTE roaming happens to support Band 2 <----> Band 25, Band 5 <----> Band 26, and Band 41 <----> Band 38. 

• Like 3

No. There will be organic macro expansions in almost all markets pending the approval of funding.

Also this thread is NOT about site density or whatnot. This thread is about Sprints roaming alliance agreements and etc. Bring those topics to the appropriate threads..

Back onto roaming related items..

MFBI will be utilized when LTE roaming happens to support Band 2 <----> Band 25, Band 5 <----> Band 26, and Band 41 <----> Band 38.

Are any US carriers using 38? Or would that just be for overseas roaming?

• 1 month later...

Question about the RRPP program.

Carolina West Wireless is apparently partnering with both Sprint in the RRPP and Verizon's LRA program. I'm currently in a CWW only area, no Verizon, no Sprint native coverage. CWW already partners with sprint to offer pseudo-native 1xrtt and EVDO coverage, they did not used to have a 3G partnership with Verizon in this area. This caused my girlfriend's iPhone to used to always be roaming, while I had great 3G signal. 

However today, it appears that CWW has deployed LTE on band 13 as part of VZW's LRA program, so her iPhone has excellent "Extended LTE" in an area she had barely any signal in the past. 

How will this work in regards to the RRPP? Will compatible Sprint phones be able to "roam" on CWW's band 13 deployment? Will CWW deploy all bands (13, 25, 26, and maybe 41) and Sprint customers only be able to roam on Sprint bands? Why would CWW do this? Why not just stick with band 13 and give their customers a much more robust network (Verizon's) when they are traveling? Saving a ton of money by only deploying Verizon's panels instead of Verizon's and Sprint's.

Could this be a sign CWW is abandoning RRPP in favor of LRA? 

We frequent this area often, and Sprint always had the upper hand over Verizon and I boasted about it a little  :rasp: but now the tide has turned to Verizon's favor  :td:

How will this work in regards to the RRPP? Will compatible Sprint phones be able to "roam" on CWW's band 13 deployment? Will CWW deploy all bands (13, 25, 26, and maybe 41) and Sprint customers only be able to roam on Sprint bands? Why would CWW do this? Why not just stick with band 13 and give their customers a much more robust network (Verizon's) when they are traveling? Saving a ton of money by only deploying Verizon's panels instead of Verizon's and Sprint's.

Could this be a sign CWW is abandoning RRPP in favor of LRA?

As long as Carolina West Wireless is indeed in both the RRPP and LiRA programs, it will have separate LTE deployments.  Sprint users will not have access to the VZW LiRA band 13 network.  Regardless, almost no Sprint devices support band 13.

The joint membership in both the RRPP and LiRA programs is not a cause for concern.  For example, Pioneer Wireless in Oklahoma has been in the LiRA program for several years, then also added RRPP last year.

AJ

• Like 1

As long as Carolina West Wireless is indeed in both the RRPP and LiRA programs, it will have separate LTE deployments.  Sprint users will not have access to the VZW LiRA band 13 network.  Regardless, almost no Sprint devices support band 13.

The joint membership in both the RRPP and LiRA programs is not a cause for concern.  For example, Pioneer Wireless in Oklahoma has been in the LiRA program for several years, then also added RRPP last year.

AJ

Thanks AJ. Seems odd for CWW to spend all the money to do this when they could probably easily get by with only the LRA band 13 deployment, but fine by me! Here's to hoping for b25 and b26 deployments to start in the area soon and for the RRPP to kick in for us Sprint users.

Thanks AJ. Seems odd for CWW to spend all the money to do this when they could probably easily get by with only the LRA band 13 deployment, but fine by me! Here's to hoping for b25 and b26 deployments to start in the area soon and for the RRPP to kick in for us Sprint users.

Keep in mind that RRPP participation and commitment will come in different levels.  Sprint may help finance the RRPP overlay buildout for many members.  Either way, RRPP members still stand to gain roaming revenue.  And that is why some have signed on to both RRPP and LiRA -- more roaming revenue for them.

AJ

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what's going on in the Last Frontier.  However, Sprint LTE signals are popping up all over Alaska on Sensorly.  Good tracks laid down in Anchorage and Fairbanks.  With hits in Juneau, Ketchikan and Healy too.  At first I noticed it just in Anchorage and was wondering if Sprint opened up the Expedience sites to Network Vision.  Because the strong signals in Sensorly look like they line up pretty well with Expedience site locations.  However, after I noticed how widespread it is in Alaska, that is likely not the case.

Has Sprint started to deploy their own network in Alaska?  Is there a live Sprint RRPP member in Alaska now?  Or are these phantom signals like what happened in North Dakota?  Unless we have a S4GRU super sleuth in Alaska or headed that way, we probably will not know for some time.

gallery_1_23_51235.png

• Like 7

I don't know what's going on in the Last Frontier.  However, Sprint LTE signals are popping up all over Alaska on Sensorly.  Good tracks laid down in Anchorage and Fairbanks.  With hits in Juneau, Ketchikan and Healy too.

Sounds like another S4GRU research trip is brewing.  Now, we just need our membership to raise $2500 to cover the costs of me driving to/from Alaska.  Maybe I can even chase some wild geese while there.  I am looking forward to it.

AJ

• Like 12

There has to be a bestbuy or some store we could call to see if they are selling sprint??? Maybe save the $2500 for a s4gru members only meeting??? $2500 could go towards the bar????

invite marcelo and saw.... and Son??? 

just ship a phone to sarah palin and have her check it out

No, the problem at her house would be stray signals from Russian wireless operators.

AJ

• Like 11

There has to be a bestbuy or some store we could call to see if they are selling sprint??? Maybe save the $2500 for a s4gru members only meeting??? $2500 could go towards the bar????

That would only prove they aren't selling Sprint at the local Best Buy. If it is RRPP coverage, they wouldn't sell Sprint. If it is new native coverage, they may not open up retail channels for months.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

If you start a $2500 bartab for an S4GRU function you're going to get about $2400 back, everyone knows nerds can't hold their alcohol ;)

• Like 1

If you start a $2500 bartab for an S4GRU function you're going to get about $2400 back, everyone knows nerds can't hold their alcohol ;)

Hey, some of the single malt I drink can get pretty expensive.

AJ

Will be interesting to see.  I thought the traditionals up there were Alaska Communications and GCI.  Read online that Alaska Communications effectively sold their wireless business to GCI.  I know that Verizon has native coverage up there now, but beyond that - I'm not sure what other options there are.  

HMMMMMMMMM.