Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

So what does that mean? I thought spark just ment tri band. How could it not support it off the bat? Either it has the three bands or it doesn't.

When the Nexus 5 first came out, it had support for all three bands, but it didn't have the software to let you use them. It took MONTHS after the Nexus 5 came out for it to get official Sprint Spark support. If what Dkoellerwx says is true, then the iPhone 6 will probably be like that, also. Hopefully it doesn't take as long for that update to come out as it did for the Nexus.

-Anthony

When the Nexus 5 first came out, it had support for all three bands, but it didn't have the software to let you use them. It took MONTHS after the Nexus 5 came out for it to get official Sprint Spark support. If what Dkoellerwx says is true, then the iPhone 6 will probably be like that, also. Hopefully it doesn't take as long for that update to come out as it did for the Nexus.

-Anthony

With as many iPhones as Apple is forecast to sell, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a spark update roll out the moment Sprint is ready.

• Like 1

The usual T-Mobile trolls are conspicuously absent from the comments following that article.  Are they sitting shiva over the loss of band 12?

AJ

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Will these partnerships show up on coverage maps for Sprint indicating what type of roaming it is?  Or will there be a S4GRU coverage map to show them?

i noticed that if you go into the sprint coverage map on there website. and click 3G and MORE it shows coverage in south dakota by aberdeen. 

i noticed that if you go into the sprint coverage map on there website. and click 3G and MORE it shows coverage in south dakota by aberdeen. 

Yeah, I notice that it also is showing some new 3G & More Roaming in Northern Idaho, Eastern Washington, Western Kansas/OK Panhandle (NextTech and United), Eastern Texas, NW Louisiana, Arkansas, NE Oklahoma/SW Missouri, Northern Wisconsin, SE Ohio, Western West Virginia, Southern Kentucky (Bluegrass), South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi (C-Spire).  And even Puerto Rico!

What's interesting is that James Valley Telephone in Aberdeen is a GSM/WCDMA provider.  So, either, they have complete a CDMA overlay for Sprint, or this coverage is only for Sprint devices that support GSM/WCDMA.

Now the big question is...does this 3G roaming count against your paltry roaming allowances?

• Like 5

Yeah, I notice that it also is showing some new 3G & More Roaming in Northern Idaho, Eastern Washington, Western Kansas/OK Panhandle (NextTech and United), Eastern Texas, NW Louisiana, Arkansas, NE Oklahoma/SW Missouri, Northern Wisconsin, SE Ohio, Western West Virginia, Southern Kentucky (Bluegrass), South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi (C-Spire).  And even Puerto Rico!

What's interesting is that James Valley Telephone in Aberdeen is a GSM/WCDMA provider.  So, either, they have complete a CDMA overlay for Sprint, or this coverage is only for Sprint devices that support GSM/WCDMA.

Now the big question is...does this 3G roaming count against your paltry roaming allowances?

Part of North Carolina too. When travelling from Greenville to NYC, I typically don't have any 3G coverage above the Greenville city boundary. Now there is some EVDO roaming in place.

• Like 3

None of it shows up for Spark devices (aside from the N5). Still makes you wonder 

my grandma lives in that area and ill be going up to visit her next weekend. so I'm kinda anxious to see what my phone does/says. 

So i got a question.. can Sprint build out in south dakota… say from watertown to Doland, SD where there is no coverage between james valley comm. and sprint (swiftel) in watertown? or is swiftel the only ones that can build out in south dakota.. 

So i got a question.. can Sprint build out in south dakota… say from watertown to Doland, SD where there is no coverage between james valley comm. and sprint (swiftel) in watertown? or is swiftel the only ones that can build out in south dakota..

It depends on the Swiftel agreement. Which I believe is the Watertown, Sioux Falls and Sioux City BTA's. That would cover all the counties that I-29 travels through in South Dakota.

All other areas of the state Sprint could build out. But based on the new RRPP agreement with James Valley Telephone, they probably wouldn't build out coverage in the counties around Aberdeen either.

I think if Sprint were to build out native coverage in South Dakota itself, it would most likely be along I-90, in the Black Hills and possibly the US 12 Corridor through Pierre/Huron.

Maybe a purchase of Swiftel from Brookings Utilities could still happen. That sure would be nice.

• Like 3

Claro seems to match up with Sprint PR roaming coverage. And Sprint now has EVDO roaming in Alaska again. Anchorage, Prudhoe Bay, Soldotna, Kenai, Juneau, etc. have 3G again from Alaska Communications!

I thought Sprint roamed on Open Mobile? Claro hasn't been a CDMA/EvDO network in years (América Móvil converted it to GSM/UMTS after acquiring the network from Verizon in 2006).

I thought Sprint roamed on Open Mobile? Claro hasn't been a CDMA/EvDO network in years (América Móvil converted it to GSM/UMTS after acquiring the network from Verizon in 2006).

That makes more sense. And taking a look at their coverage map, it matches up more evenly. The approximated roaming coverage is kind of annoying with the round edges.

So I've noticed a few times I've connected to Verizon(Alltel) EVDO and it never shows up as roaming. No roaming warning , or no roaming triangle by the signal bars. Anyone else notice this?

Is it posted somewhere what each rural provider is running in terms of LTE bands?  It'd be interesting to see what/where all the current phones (Samsung S5, HTC One, iPhone 6/+, LG G3 ect.) would work on the rural providers networks since none work on band 12 yet I know all carriers don't use just band 12 I just don't know what ones do and what ones don't.  So I'm curious as to what rural providers the phones would work with by looking at what LTE band frequencies they use.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is any information known in regards to the actual agreement(s) between Sprint and Illinois Valley Cellular?

Looking up FCC docs, it appears IVC is operating in this frequency range:  835-845 paired with 880-890  and  846.5-849 paired with 891.5-894

However, Sprint SMR is this frequency range, correct?:   806-824 paired with 851-869

Which leads me to the following questions:

Will IVC be utilizing Sprint's SMR Freqencies?  PCS?  TDD?  Or will they simply allow Sprint users to 'hop' onto the IVC network/frequencies?  

This could get awfully interesting.  :)

Is any information known in regards to the actual agreement(s) between Sprint and Illinois Valley Cellular?

Looking up FCC docs, it appears IVC is operating in this frequency range: 835-845 paired with 880-890 and 846.5-849 paired with 891.5-894

However, Sprint SMR is this frequency range, correct?: 806-824 paired with 851-869

Which leads me to the following questions:

Will IVC be utilizing Sprint's SMR Freqencies? PCS? TDD? Or will they simply allow Sprint users to 'hop' onto the IVC network/frequencies?

This could get awfully interesting. :)

All RRPP members will utilize Sprint LTE frequencies. They may or may not use their own as well for LTE.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 1

apologies if this has been asked/answered elsewhere, i looked at the wall articles and tried searching in the relevant threads but wasn't finding my answer.

assuming either USCC becomes part of this or sprint buys them out, and USCC LTE becomes native coverage for sprint, would the LG G3 support USCC LTE band(s)?

The  LG G3 article is on The Wall and answers your question.

AJ

• Like 1