Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

The big positive that we are forgetting is that if this does come to fruition, Robert can have Sprint service again! =)

Sprint will have to build here. There is no rural wireless provider here in Western South Dakota. Just AT&T and Verizon. :td:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Not quite, there are no competitive carriers in his area. :(

Too true. AT&T and VZW already bought the rural wireless providers in my area. They used to compete with them here.

• Like 1

I certainly hope this pans out and that US Cellular gets on board with Sprint.  They would need to reassess the roaming allocation though since 100 MB won't get you far. 

It would immediately help out SW Wisconsin and NE Iowa.  While not completely filling in the gaps in Wisconsin, US Cellular has by far the best coverage in the area.  Some of those areas without LTE in SW Wisconsin are in very remote areas with a lot of decent hills and bluffs.  Below I compare the Sprint and US Cellular 4G LTE Coverage:

Sprint:

US Cellular: (dark purple is LTE, and yellow is future LTE)

Quick question: I know US Cellular has been deploying 850 LTE along with their 700 LTE...  Will our band 26 handsets connect to 850?  I believe the spectrum for band 26 encompasses band 5, but I'm not completely sure how that all works.

Do you think they will?

Tommy

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

No. Otherwise I think they would have announced it yesterday with Band 12. But it's just a guess on my part.

Quick question: I know US Cellular has been deploying 850 LTE along with their 700 LTE... Will our band 26 handsets connect to 850? I believe the spectrum for band 26 encompasses band 5, but I'm not completely sure how that all works.

Yes, Band 26 devices work with LTE on the Cellular band. So Sprint Triband and Dualband devices can run on USCC Band 5 if opened up.

• Like 4

Yes, Band 26 device work with LTE on the Cellular band. So Sprint Triband and Dualband devices can run on USCC Band 5 if opened up.

I thought I had read that somewhere on here months ago.  I couldn't find the post though.  Thanks for the confirmation. 

If anyone is interested here is Masayoshi Son's keynote at the CCA Expo this morning. 

Big takeaway from it is that Son is promising big Sprint commitment to make partnership happen.  Promising Sprint will offer financial support for Companies that join to build out infrastructure they need. 

Look at the slide at about the 15 min mark of the presentation. S4GRU may get his wish about band 4. 

• Like 9

If anyone is interested here is Masayoshi Son's keynote at the CCA Expo this morning. 

Big takeaway from it is that Son is promising big Sprint commitment to make partnership happen.  Promising Sprint will offer financial support for Companies that join to build out infrastructure they need. 

Look at the slide at about the 15 min mark of the presentation. S4GRU may get his wish about band 4. 

I certainly like that coverage map he shows of the combined effort... 

• Like 3

Yes, Band 26 devices work with LTE on the Cellular band. So Sprint Triband and Dualband devices can run on USCC Band 5 if opened up.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

The reverse could be true too if USCC would have the OEMs equip their handsets with band 25 & 26 instead of 2 & 5. Now that Sprint has made a commitment to band 12 it seems like there would be some scale advantages for USCC and other CDMA carriers participating in this program to just have their handsets equipped the same way as Sprint's.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Here is a screen cap of that slide I saw.

uploadfromtaptalk1395930400905.jpg

Son only talked about band 12 during speech but this has to mean something for future though, right?

• Like 4

The reverse could be true too if USCC would have the OEMs equip their handsets with band 25 & 26 instead of 2 & 5. Now that Sprint has made a commitment to band 12 it seems like there would be some scale advantages for USCC and other CDMA carriers participating in this program to just have their handsets equipped the same way as Sprint's.

Absolutely! :tu:

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif uploadfromtaptalk1395930400905.jpg

Son only talked about band 12 during speech but this has to mean something for future though, right?

To me it looks like the CCA and Sprint will all adopt each others bands. Noteworthy is the inclusion of Band 4 and Band 41. I stand corrected on Band 4. Happy for that.

• Like 1

Question for all:  Do you think when all of this gets setup that Sprint will drop the Verizon roaming agreement?  I feel like that may be there next step in this to save some extra money. 

In my area at least, they certainly could.  Whenever I roam, it is on US Cellular currently.  I would love to be able to get LTE in the boonies too!  It truly sucks being on the edge of Sprint's native service.  This would resolve everything for me... 

Now I need to not get all excited until we hear the details and get a timeline.

• Like 1

Question for all:  Do you think when all of this gets setup that Sprint will drop the Verizon roaming agreement?  I feel like that may be there next step in this to save some extra money. 

In my area at least, they certainly could.  Whenever I roam, it is on US Cellular currently.  I would love to be able to get LTE in the boonies too!  It truly sucks being on the edge of Sprint's native service.  This would resolve everything for me... 

If i'm not mistaken, currently the only roaming between Sprint and Verizon is for 1x voice and data. There is no LTE roaming between the two. I don't see why Sprint would ever back out of the deal.  I could see them prioritize voice and data onto new partners so that they have to pay verizon less and less over time.  

• Like 1

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1395930400905.jpg

I hate repeating myself, but Sprint is preparing for both aligning its handsets with T-Mobile's and CCA's. Way to go Masa!

• Like 1

Question for all: Do you think when all of this gets setup that Sprint will drop the Verizon roaming agreement? I feel like that may be there next step in this to save some extra money.

In my area at least, they certainly could. Whenever I roam, it is on US Cellular currently. I would love to be able to get LTE in the boonies too! It truly sucks being on the edge of Sprint's native service. This would resolve everything for me...

They mentioned it was a roaming environment that included 2G/3G also. However, many of the CCA partners are GSM/WCDMA providers. So I'm not sure. It would be nice if Sprint allowed GSM/WCDMA domestic roaming now on these providers on capable devices. That would make it closer to the ability to drop Verizon.

However, why not leave VZW roaming in some places where there is nothing else available. Say...in places like...Rapid City, South Dakota. :)

• Like 4

Masa is a busy man today. Haven't found a full report on this yet.  Will probably post in separate thread when I do.

Son says Softbank and Dish in talks for a fixed wireless broadband alliance.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/softbank-dish-talks-regarding-wireless-141910776.html

sounds to me its cheaper way then adding to existing towers. That don't have sprint on them. Not bashing them but towers are needed.

Adding to existing towers? What are you talking about? Sprint is adding to their existing towers. I don't follow you.

Adding to existing towers? What are you talking about? Sprint is adding to their existing towers. I don't follow you.

I meant they should be installing equipment on towers, that they are not already on in rural markets.  Instead of roaming on lte.  (Expanding there foot print)

• Like 2

sounds to me its cheaper way then adding to existing towers. That don't have sprint on them. Not bashing them but towers are needed.

Expanding service through roaming partners they treat as native service (if that is what they ultimately do) is the samething as adding new towers to expand coverage area in the same way as buying a rual carrier (which is why ATT and vzw have the coverage they do).

• Like 1

I meant they should be installing equipment on towers, that they are not already on in rural markets. Instead of roaming on lte. (Expanding there foot print)

You do know that Verizon does this in many areas and their coverage map reflects that, right? This is exactly the right thing to do. I'm glad Masa is not getting advice from you.

• Like 5

Expanding service through roaming partners they treat as native service (if that is what they ultimately do) is the samething as adding new towers to expand coverage area in the same way as buying a rual carrier (which is why ATT and vzw have the coverage they do).

Yep. See: Verizon LTEiRA.