Sprint and Fixed Wireless Broadband

linhpham2

Holy cow! 10k? Sheesh Iwould get Towerstream over that any day ! I didnt realize it cost 10k for a half mile of Cable and such. Gues theyd have to get permits, and such too

Blue Ridge Communications stops cable 1/2 mile down my road here in PA.  There is actually a set of telephone poles it could follow to get to my house, with maybe 2 they would need to install.  I filled out a petition and got my 10 neighbors to sign it.  They quoted us with $26k to get us cable - they wanted to put up their own poles!  Said if they used the ones that were there (which carry telephone and power!) it would be a "waste" - even though that would include 2 additional homes.

We're using a Mifi 500 on 3G until Verizon puts in a DSLAM for us - which is supposed to happen by 10/25/14 (according to PA state law.)

Sprint awhile back used MMDS, I believe on the same spectrum they're using now for WiMAX/TD-LTE. Which would explain the propagation issues.

As reference for everyone, MMDS is basically the former name for BRS/EBS.

AJ

• Like 1

Seems appropriate to add this here.  Not much a story, but it's all I've found so far.  Sprint's Chairman says Sprint and Dish and are in talk about a fixed wireless broadband alliance.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/softbank-dish-talks-regarding-wireless-141910776.html

If I find something more detailed I'll add it. 

The last paragraph of this story covers it.  Nothing really there to this story.  Just that they're talking.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/softbanks-son-cca-carriers-we-need-fight-back/2014-03-27

• Like 1

They no longer have Internet because Cox disconnected their service for high use.

Highly recommend Cox home office. Therefore you will have unlimited data with static IPs. You can then use Ubnt point to point to share. We have seen prices for 100Mbps download 20 mbps for $300 with static IPs. My home 100mb for $89. Not much far off to get around the

They have different pricing but yes the service is not cheap. Given the amounts of data, it is just a price of doing business and yes it's about 10 times the amount Clearwire gets from me each month

I never had a speed issue with Clear and I am blessed with good enough speeds. Still hoping on a fixed solution from Sprint.

They don't want to cover just one. If I had an appartment complex on my land, the connection would be free

Have them get Cox home office product. 100Mbps for $300. That will get you around the high usage limit with unlimited data. You can get static IPs for a few bucks more and then use Ubnt air fiber to share.

We have deployed this solution and works great. My Cox at home is 100Mbps is $89 month and Cox Business around $300 month.

High usage only means you have to get on a business plan. Cox home office is their small business plans or just got with the regular business plans.

you should be able to get a T1 (or 3) for less than 800/month.

Since they are able to get Cox home, they can just get the Cox business service.  It is still cheaper than getting T1's.

Since they are able to get Cox home, they can just get the Cox business service.  It is still cheaper than getting T1's.

Again I can't get Cox and my neighbor got just booted off Cox for using actually 215 MB on average. He was the last house with Cox service and if I want their service, I need to run a line which cost $$$$. DSL is also not really working because I am too far from the last pop. Wireless is currently the only option and again I am hopeful that Sprint will do a Fixed wireless solution together with Dish.

Again I can't get Cox and my neighbor got just booted off Cox for using actually 215 MB on average. He was the last house with Cox service and if I want their service, I need to run a line which cost $$$$. DSL is also not really working because I am too far from the last pop. Wireless is currently the only option and again I am hopeful that Sprint will do a Fixed wireless solution together with Dish.

Try Cox business. Just tell them you have home office.  If you sign a 60 month deal they will build it.  They want to see ROI.  Your neighbor can get Cox service through business.  May require a 2 year deal though.

Give it a shot with their business department.  Again, just tell them you have a small business and want their Cox Home Office pricing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/dish-ntelos-aim-launch-fixed-td-lte-network-july-later-expected/2014-05-09

Dish and nTelos have said they will initially launch the service in markets where they have a high concentration of customers: Roanoke, Staunton, Waynesboro and Charlottesville, Va. The service uses nTelos' 2.5 GHz spectrum, and Hyde has said the service might be sold as a standalone service or bundled with nTelos' wireless service or Dish's satellite TV service. nTelos has a total wireless footprint covering 6 million POPs.

Getting pretty interesting

• Like 3

I have long supported the idea that Sprint use EBS for fixed broadband with or without Dish. It might be easier if they used Dish's dishes to install antennas and thus guaranteeing better signal.