Death star and big red want to grab the 600mhz spectrum

NYC126

Wll if it favors the big two, then a merger would be needed. It seems mergers are the only way to get spectrum for the other top 2

This is another reason why Sprint may want to pursue using their 900 MHz SMR spectrum for LTE as mentioned in another thread.

Anyway, here's a pretty in-depth piece on the lobbying over this matter: http://www.publicintegrity.org/2014/03/21/14433/wireless-companies-fight-their-futures#sprintTeam

Seems like more click bait bullshit from BGR. It's what they specialize in. And of course find a way to promote T Mobile.

I don't see the big deal over this auction. I've read somewhere here that the 600mhz spectrum isn't all people are making it out to be.

On a side-note: Public opinion seems to be gradually changing in regards to the Sprint-T-Mobile merger. I've heard a lot of people say they are now for merger, as opposed to being against it. A lot of people have recently switched their view-points to be in-favor.

I also think public perception of Sprint has turned a corner just recently, for the better.

On a side-note: Public opinion seems to be gradually changing in regards to the Sprint-T-Mobile merger. I've heard a lot of people say they are now for merger, as opposed to being against it. A lot of people have recently switched their view-points to be in-favor.

I also think public perception of Sprint has turned a corner just recently, for the better.

I haven't heard people changing in favor of the merger, that's good news; Though that doesn't change the fact that it will happen or not.

As for the public perception on Sprint, I agree there has been more positive results. I am glad it is starting to change, but they still have a long way to go. 

I haven't heard people changing in favor of the merger, that's good news; Though that doesn't change the fact that it will happen or not.

As for the public perception on Sprint, I agree there has been more positive results. I am glad it is starting to change, but they still have a long way to go. 

Most of the idiots that are not in favor of the merger have absolutely no idea why. They are going along with popular opinion without any knowledge at all. It's a "sprint sucks right now because I specifically don't have good service" so when tmobile merges with sprint "tmobile will suck" type of tiny minded thinking. 

• Like 4

Most of the idiots that are not in favor of the merger have absolutely no idea why. They are going along with popular opinion without any knowledge at all. It's a "sprint sucks right now because I specifically don't have good service" so when tmobile merges with sprint "tmobile will suck" type of tiny minded thinking.

That's what happened when Sprint and Nextel merged. And there are some people who still hold grudges against Sprint because when they needed it most, Nextel didn't work.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I'm still not in favor of the merger.  Guess I'm an idiot.  :lol:

But after hearing about the duopoly conspiring together, it sure makes me just a little bit more for it.  I'm almost neutral in may stance, now.

Robert

• Like 8

I'm still not in favor of the merger. Guess I'm an idiot. :lol:

But after hearing about the duopoly conspiring together, it sure makes me just a little bit more for it. I'm almost neutral in may stance, now.

Robert

And if the duopoly wins in regards to this, will you finally be for the merger? Because I'm all for it 100% now.

• Like 4

And if the duopoly wins in regards to this, will you finally be for the merger? Because I'm all for it 100% now.

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

I'm still not in favor of the merger.  Guess I'm an idiot.   :lol:

But after hearing about the duopoly conspiring together, it sure makes me just a little bit more for it.  I'm almost neutral in may stance, now.

Robert

If the Big Two are allowed to dominate the 600 mhz spectrum then I fear that a merger would not be up to the task of countering the big two.

• Like 2

This is another reason why Sprint may want to pursue using their 900 MHz SMR spectrum for LTE as mentioned in another thread.

Anyway, here's a pretty in-depth piece on the lobbying over this matter: http://www.publicintegrity.org/2014/03/21/14433/wireless-companies-fight-their-futures#sprintTeam

Sprint's sub 1GHz spectrum holdings are a mess. Between the IBEZ restrictions, the Solinc carve out and the 900MHz they cannot muster a solid 5x5 chunk. Imagine if they had saved their money and bid on 700MHz instead....

If the Big Two are allowed to dominate the 600 mhz spectrum then I fear that a merger would not be up to the task of countering the big two.

The merger has to happen before, or Sprint and T-Mobile need to bid on 600MHz together.

• Like 3

If I was in charge, the primary restrictions would be;

- mandatory inter-operability (ie cross-carrier roaming along with 'fair and reasonable' roaming rates between the carriers)

- permanent maximum of ~40% allocation of available spectrum to any carrier per region.

- mandatory open devices (ie carrier must allow any fcc approved devices on the network)

- mandatory network neutrality regulations

I'm not sure I would necessarily put in any specific pricing restrictions, the above limitations ought to prevent the duopoly from locking up the entire band without leaving room for other carriers bids and access, keeping in mind that all carriers would still be required to allow cross roaming access regardless if they are a majority or minority spectrum holder in that region.

• Like 7

I might also consider putting some kind of price multiplier on anything over the first ~10mhz too.

like, 1x for the first 5/10mhz, 2x for the second 5/10mhz, 3x for the third 5/10mhz, etc.

oh, and most important of all...

reasonable build-out requirements and use or lose it restrictions.

no buying up spectrum just to resell it or hold it hostage, if you bid for it, you must use it.

Edited by dedub
  • Like 2

I still don't want to see a Sprint/Tmobile merger because I think that the US does need 4 national carriers not only for choice but for competition.  Tmobile has been a game changer agent for the industry and they need to continue to force change so that Big Red, Death Star and even Sprint can stop being stuck on old ways and be more customer oriented.  Sprint, Big Red and Death Star have felt some pressure from Tmobile hence why all of the other 3 carriers were forced to create a "Jump-like" program, monthly phone payment plans and heck even "simple choice-like" plans like Sprint Framily.

In terms of 600 MHz, I really hope Sprint is working with Tmobile and the other regional carriers to fight for limits on 600 MHz spectrum as well as breaking up the 600 MHz spectrum into only 5x5 MHz blocks.

• Like 2

A lot of people have lost sight of that T-Mobile is only changing the game because they want to exit the game at the end of the day with the biggest stacks of cash they can pile in dumptrucks.

• Like 8

What Sprint and TMUS need are 10x10 chunks of spectrum in the 600, at the least. In 5-10 years when they start deploying the spectrum for LTE, data usage will be exponentially higher than it is today. We're already seeing the 5x5 PCS LTE carrier getting overburdened, and I could see Sprint's 5x5 and 3x3 SMR carriers ending up at capacity in some markets near the end of the decade. Sprint won't be able to solve all it's capacity problems with B41, especially in fringe & rural areas where it isn't economically viable to deploy small cells or DAS. 

If big red and the death star get their way with this auction I feel like Sprint and TMUS will not be able to catch up when wireless data usage explodes in the next few years. With only 2 strong competitors in the market, it will truly be a duopoly, even worse than it is today. Pricing way above the competitive equilibrium, reduced consumer surplus, higher producer surplus and profits, inefficiency, and a big fat dead weight loss to society. All thanks to inefficient allocation of resources (public good -> spectrum) by the US government.

• Like 2

I don't think T-Mobile has changed the game nearly as much as it's made out to be. Sure they've thrown out contracts and implemented device financing instead, but in the end your still paying more!

I think Son and Sprint in the end will be the ones causing great havoc (in a good way of course) but they're obviously plodding carefully to make sure it all works out properly..... Or it's just another cash grab and were all doomed if TMO and Sprint merge.

I kinda share the same feelings about this as Roberts last comment about being almost neutral.

At this point I'm just sitting back and watching the show. It gets more interesting every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't really see why the auctions need to be rigged in favor of Sprint or T-Mo. Both are owned by large international corporations that have money. Son talks a lot of shit about being number one. Maybe he needs to open the wallet and be prepared to outbid the others.

Same for Telekom. They have money. What's stopping them from winning these auctions? Are they still pissed about massively overpaying for Voicestream? That was 15 years ago. Sell it or get over it.

If you want to take on Verizon it's going to require real investment not rigging auctions and maybe winning small slices of spectrum. I'd rather see government stop hoarding spectrum but that might mean smaller bids which they don't want.