Quad Band LTE?

runagun

I've been off work a lot this past week and it has allowed me time to think about future events. Quad band? This year we will see 6 bands...the iPhone 6 will be released...on the 6th anniversary since the first iPhone. 6.6.6...Apple and Sprint shall unleash the apocalypse if we don't stop them from amassing this huge amount of spectrum on all of these frequencies. We must stop this unholy network!

• Like 6

It's all about capacity. If Sprint can add another sub-1GHz LTE carrier that's nationwide or near nationwide even if it's only 3x3, I'm all for it. What else are they going to do with that spectrum?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Actually, does The Great Southern Company own any of this 900 MHz, blocking it down again for Sprint? Does Sprint own a 5x5 or 3x3 nationwide in this spectrum? I need holdings... and have no idea how to check databases myself.

AJ? You out there?

Actually, does The Great Southern Company own any of this 900 MHz, blocking it down again for Sprint? Does Sprint own a 5x5 or 3x3 nationwide in this spectrum? I need holdings... and have no idea how to check databases myself.

AJ? You out there?

I skimmed the FCC dashboard and noticed three major stakeholders in that band: ACI 900 INC, FCI 900 INC and Nextel Communications. ACI & FCI were subsidiaries set up by Nextel and thus are part of Sprint now. Between those the entities I'd imagine they control the lion's share of the 900SMR licenses. However, there are a number of other licensees and I didn't have time to cross check to see if any of them are also Sprint/Nextel subsidiaries as there are a massive number of licenses. I didn't notice the good ole Southern Company on the list, but again I only took a cursory look at it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

AJ? You out there?

Oh, I am out there, sometimes way out there.

The SMR 900 MHz holdings vary from market to market.  But as a starting point, read this thread:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/390-how-much-of-the-900-mhz-band-being-used/page-2\

See my diagram.  As I understand it, that represents the current maximum SMR 900 MHz spectrum Sprint holds in any given market.

AJ

• Like 1

The SMR 900 MHz holdings vary from market to market.  But as a starting point, read this thread:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/390-how-much-of-the-900-mhz-band-being-used/page-2\

See my diagram.  As I understand it, that represents the current maximum SMR 900 MHz spectrum Sprint holds in any given market.

AJ

Interesting read.

If BC10 includes the 900 MHz band (assuming it gets "untangled" and this sort of rebanding happens), does B26 also include 900 MHz? Or will it require a new LTE band and certification?

Interesting read.

If BC10 includes the 900 MHz band (assuming it gets "untangled" and this sort of rebanding happens), does B26 also include 900 MHz? Or will it require a new LTE band and certification?

No.

Sent from my Nexus 5

AJ

Thanks for the link. Machine License Holding, LLC was one subsidiary that I missed. Sprint Nextel has so many: http://investors.sprint.com/interactive/lookandfeel/4057219/Sprint_Corporation_-_sublist_-_20130712.pdf

Interesting read.

Nope. Band 26 is 859-894/814-849. The spectrum in question here is 935-940/896-901.

Yes but it does fall within the GSM 900MHz band. Sprint should still lease the rest of the spectrum out from the spectrum holders and provide service at advantageous rates to holders of the spectrum.

While they're at it, they might want to talk to Solinc about swapping spectrum for service.

Edited by bigsnake49

Yes but it does fall within the GSM 900MHz band. Sprint should still lease the rest of the spectrum out from the spectrum holders and provide service at advantageous rates to holders of the spectrum.

While they're at it, they might want to talk to Solinc about swapping spectrum for service.

Duplex gap is wrong. The Cellular 900 band has a 45MHz duplex gap (just like Cellular 850). The band is merely shifted up because Europe couldn't release the Cellular 850 band when GSM launched in 1989.

Duplex gap is wrong. The Cellular 900 band has a 45MHz duplex gap (just like Cellular 850). The band is merely shifted up because Europe couldn't release the Cellular 850 band when GSM launched in 1989.

Very true! I wonder whether chip makers can get creative with that

Interesting read.

If BC10 includes the 900 MHz band (assuming it gets "untangled" and this sort of rebanding happens)...

Band class 10 does include SMR 900 MHz, too.  But it is a subclass that, to my knowledge, has not been implemented in any infrastructure or user equipment.  In other words, nothing in the field currently is compatible with band class 10 CDMA1X 900.

AJ

• Like 1

Band class 10 does include SMR 900 MHz, too.  But it is a subclass that, to my knowledge, has not been implemented in any infrastructure or user equipment.  In other words, nothing in the field currently is compatible with band class 10 CDMA1X 900.

AJ

Subclasses don't have to use the same duplex gap, or really anything, do they?

Subclasses don't have to use the same duplex gap, or really anything, do they?

But EWA want to use it for LTE, not CDMA. So the question should be if it became a subclass of Band 8 or not. I don't for a moment belive there are 2MHz of LMR users on that band.

Per Morgan O'Brien (of Nextel fame), narrowband users should move to broadband. I foresee that to be true. I don't think that the LMR industry can be sustained any longer. There is not enough money in it to sustain a business. Eventually even public safety will have to move to VoLTE. It might take them a little while, but it will happen. The faster they start planning, the better. The more they get involved in the standards process, the better. The days of custom networks are numbered.

Edited by bigsnake49

But EWA want to use it for LTE, not CDMA. So the question should be if it became a subclass of Band 8 or not. I don't for a moment belive there are 2MHz of LMR users on that band.

Per Morgan O'Brien (of Nextel fame), narrowband users should move to broadband. I foresee that to be true. I don't think that the LMR industry can be sustained any longer. There is not enough money in it to sustain a business. Eventually even public safety will have to move to VoLTE. It might take them a little while, but it will happen. The faster they start planning, the better. The more they get involved in the standards process, the better. The days of custom networks are numbered.

Subclasses don't exist in 3GPP. You either fit in a band or you don't. If you don't, you need a new band. The problem is that they need a new band. That's going to make things hard.

Subclasses don't exist in 3GPP. You either fit in a band or you don't. If you don't, you need a new band. The problem is that they need a new band. That's going to make things hard.

They have plenty of time. They have to reband first. And we know how long that takes :(.

They have plenty of time. They have to reband first. And we know how long that takes :(.

It doesn't matter if they want to reband or not. There isn't enough room to actually reband to Band 8, not without eliminating the 915MHz ISM band. And I seriously doubt that would be allowed.

It doesn't matter if they want to reband or not. There isn't enough room to actually reband to Band 8, not without eliminating the 915MHz ISM band. And I seriously doubt that would be allowed.

I did not mean to imply band they will reband to band 8, but a brand new band.

Long before this 900 plan comes into fruition, Sprint will add band 12 capabilities to its phones and will let rural operators use its 800Mhz and 1900Mhz spectrum:

SAN ANTONIO, Texas--Sprint (NYSE:S) announced new partnerships with the Competitive Carriers Association and the NetAmerica Alliance that the carrier hopes will encourage rural wireless carriers to build LTE networks that Sprint's customers will be able to roam onto. Importantly, Sprint said it will add 700 MHz Band 12 capabilities to some of its devices starting next year--spectrum that the carrier itself doesn't own.

With the NetAmerica Alliance, Sprint will launch a Smart Market Alliance for Rural Transformation program that Sprint said will give NetAmerica members the ability to access Sprint's network and to build new networks in partnership with Sprint. Interestingly, Sprint said it will license its unused 800 MHz and 1900 MHz spectrum to NetAmerica members that wish to build LTE networks on the spectrum. Smaller carriers that agree to build LTE networks through the program can make use of Sprint's core and its Network Vision architecture.

Read more: Sprint to add 700 MHz Band 12 capabilities to some new devices starting next year - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-add-700-mhz-band-12-capabilities-some-new-devices-starting-next-year/2014-03-26#ixzz2xAEcWjXg

It seems that Sprint is preparing itself for both possibilities: Go it alone without T-Mobile and preparing for a possible merger. Finally making some moves that make sense.

I have long believed that Sprint and T-Mobile should share network infrastructure, if not outright merge. 

• Like 1

So with the latest news about the network sharing sprint will be doing in the future for coverage and roaming capabilities obviously the phones made for sprint will have to change and also be more open to having more lte bands and such could this mean that in the future that the phone lineup

could include phones that are unlockable and more gsm friendly?