iPhone Roaming Indicator

Djjim

So I went to Lake Lure, NC last night. This area is covered by USCC and Verizon. My phone would show "extended" 1x while on Verizon and "Sprint" 1x while on USCC. Is this normal?

How could you tell you were on USCC?

I have been there a couple of times, and my phone was always switching between Extended 1x, Sprint 1x and Sprint 3G. At least it was better than my Mother's AT&T iPhone 5 with Searching... and No Service ;)

-Anthony

I did a few mock calls and the error message was US Cell. Plus Sprint has no native towers there. I was at the Lake Lure Inn.

Yup, I know exactly where you were. Sprint might have a contract with USCC that makes their coverage in Lake Lure "native" Sprint coverage. I wouldn't be too surprised if that's the case.

-Anthony

I was in Lake Lure, NC last year and had the same exact experience (in fact I was on EV-DO too)... turned out it was "carolina wireless" or something similar... it is native coverage.  It was actually a great experience -- we were in a timeshare/condo in the middle of no where on the north end of the lake and had FULL bars with nearly 2mpbs download speeds all week (was a better internet connection than the wi-fi)...

I was in Lake Lure, NC last year and had the same exact experience (in fact I was on EV-DO too)... turned out it was "carolina wireless" or something similar... it is native coverage. It was actually a great experience -- we were in a timeshare/condo in the middle of no where on the north end of the lake and had FULL bars with nearly 2mpbs download speeds all week (was a better internet connection than the wi-fi)...

Sadly the wireless experience at the Lake Lure Inn isn't as great as your's was. :(

-Anthony

Very true Anthony. I believe there is only one tower on the north side of the lake near that condo thewezgreys is talking about. Although I don't think Carolina West Wireless has service in Rutherford County???? I know the cellular A and B licenses are held by Verizon and USCC. CWW does have some PCS in the Hickory area. Maybe they own PCS near Lake Lure but I don't think they do.