Sprint Stores no longer allowing customers to trade phones????

BarnesShawn

I drove to a Non-Corporate Sprint store in Broomfield and tried to trade phones with another person on Sprint.  Both of us have active accounts and no problems with the ESN's on our phones.  The Broomfield store told us we needed to go to a Corporate store in order to get our phones switched. 

So we arrive at the Corporate store.  We tell the person what our plan was and he thinks about it for a second. Then tells us that the store doesn't do that anymore.  I tell him the other Sprint store told us we had to go to a corporate store and use a dummy ESN to do it.  The guy replies " We aren't going to do that.  " So I go out side and call Sprint and they tell me the Corporate store should have no problem doing it.  The guy in the store still refused to switch our phones.  So I lost out on the trade because they want me to buy a new phone and not trade.  

I drove to a Non-Corporate Sprint store in Broomfield and tried to trade phones with another person on Sprint.  Both of us have active accounts and no problems with the ESN's on our phones.  The Broomfield store told us we needed to go to a Corporate store in order to get our phones switched. 

So we arrive at the Corporate store.  We tell the person what our plan was and he thinks about it for a second. Then tells us that the store doesn't do that anymore.  I tell him the other Sprint store told us we had to go to a corporate store and use a dummy ESN to do it.  The guy replies " We aren't going to do that.  " So I go out side and call Sprint and they tell me the Corporate store should have no problem doing it.  The guy in the store still refused to switch our phones.  So I lost out on the trade because they want me to buy a new phone and not trade.  

That could be because he wanted you guys to buy a phone or he's just too lazy. There wasn't anyone else there that you could have asked? Should have also done was have the Sprint Customer Service Agent talk to that person.

If you done it one at a time, it would not have been a problem.  You can activate any clean ESN on your account.  Just call them and say I want to add this phone to my account, replacing another phone.  They would have done it.  And then call and have them do the same with your old phone on his line.  Easy peasy.

I've done that often trading phones with my brother or friends.  It should not have been an issue for either store, though.  It's too bad they had to be like that.

Robert

The issue I had is I didn't want someone I didn't know coming over to my house.  I though a Sprint store would have been the safest place for the other person ( I didn't know it was a girl until I met her at the first store).  I walked in talked to one guy and he then pawned me off to a second guy.  Seemed like the last thing they wanted to do was do a phone trade since they make no money off it.  

The issue I had is I didn't want someone I didn't know coming over to my house.  I though a Sprint store would have been the safest place for the other person ( I didn't know it was a girl until I met her at the first store).  I walked in talked to one guy and he then pawned me off to a second guy.  Seemed like the last thing they wanted to do was do a phone trade since they make no money off it.  

Either way is not their choice. I would report them both.

@

• Like 2

I understand.  I wouldn't want them at my house either.  But instead of walking away from the deal, you could call from the Sprint store.  But like AMejia says above, they were out of line.  Reporting seems like a good option.  I doubt they will be disciplined, but it could be a good learning opportunity.  He may think he can't do that.  He needs to know he can, and he must.

Robert

• Like 1

Ill set the record straight, i did this today. We cant do it in our system, but a simple call into Sales Support with both account info and it would of been done in less than 5 minutes as long as both accounts were in good standing.

That rep was just stupid, lazy or ignorant. Sorry

• Like 3

I did call and complain and wrote a email to dan@sprint.com.  If the rep at the first store would have told me we could call and do it, I would have.  If the Reps at the Corporate store would have done anything to really assist me I would have been ok. But just saying " we aren't going to do that" , really pissed me off.  I know Sprint employees have to deal with a lot of crap right now with the network rolling out but doing something like switching phones should be a basic task.  

• Like 1

Ill set the record straight, i did this today. We cant do it in our system, but a simple call into Sales Support with both account info and it would of been done in less than 5 minutes as long as both accounts were in good standing.

That rep was just stupid, lazy or ignorant. Sorry

To be fair, there is a policy in place to prevent "gifted" upgrades across different accounts at point-of-sale, for whatever reason. It's likely these reps were basing their knowledge on this policy. I've had National Sales Support tell me "no" multiple times when attempting to do this very thing, as easy and legitimate as it is.