Boost and Virgin throttling heavy data users to 128kb in May

dkyeager

50 gbs per month on a mobile device is insane. I was thinking like 3gb and after that throttle the speeds down or bump them to 3G or something.

The last thing I would want to worry about is a data cap and overage charges. I haven't ever paid attention to that, and do not want to have to start. It'll be like Verizon or att. Look how good of service I have, but I can't watch that video on the network I pay for because I'm afraid I'll go over. Throttling sounds much better.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

50 gbs per month on a mobile device is insane. I was thinking like 3gb and after that throttle the speeds down or bump them to 3G or something. The last thing I would want to worry about is a data cap and overage charges. I haven't ever paid attention to that, and do not want to have to start. It'll be like Verizon or att. Look how good of service I have, but I can't watch that video on the network I pay for because I'm afraid I'll go over. Throttling sounds much better.Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

See I think 3 is insanely low....I normally use 10-15gb a month (I'm not tethering, torrenting, or streaming to a TV) on legacy 3g speeds. I'm up to 28 this month and I've got about 7-13 days left in this cycle, purely because I went to an area that had LTE over the weekend and I updated apps, Roms, and I was watching march madness on my phone while I was doing yard work. Oh and I backed up a bunch of stuff off my phone to Dropbox. I do think 50gb is a lot, but 30ish isn't hard to hit. I do agree that throttling abusers/people who hit high usage for a month is a better strategy than getting rid of unlimited.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I can understand that... but my opinion is ROMs, App updates and Dropbox uploads should be held until on Wi-Fi... take them out of the equation and you are cutting your usage a bunch...

I can understand that... but my opinion is ROMs, App updates and Dropbox uploads should be held until on Wi-Fi... take them out of the equation and you are cutting your usage a bunch...

Normally I'd agree with you, and I do wait. This month was just a situation where I can't get to WiFi and I needed the space without deleting. It actually was only 7gbs total. Pandora equates 11gb of my usage this month, I'm a bit of a music addict ^_^.

• Like 1

Normally I'd agree with you, and I do wait. This month was just a situation where I can't get to WiFi and I needed the space without deleting. It actually was only 7gbs total. Pandora equates 11gb of my usage this month, I'm a bit of a music addict ^_^.

streaming Pandora for two hours a day will actually consume about 2 GB per month (random google result)...

10 Hours a day every day for a month?  Yikes... 

-----

Last month was my first on the Framily 1GB plan.. I used 500 mb... Unless I start streaming a lot I can get by with that (I do use around that much more on each my iPhone on Verizon and my iPad on ATT though... still under 2gb total)... If I start streaming more (due to better networks) I am sure I will need to bump up to the 3gb plan though...

The problem is not unlimited data.  It is Sprint's network management not throttling users who are using so much data at a time that other users are starved for bandwidth.  Throttling of heavy users on towers that are overloaded at that time will solve most problems that heavy users cause. 

When the tower is overloaded on a particular band and those users cannot be shifted to another tower or another band:  Find the top 10 percentile data volume users in the past several minutes and throttle them to a lower speed.  If the tower is still overloaded after one minute, do it again. 

Eventually the heaviest consumers of data during that time will free up enough bandwidth that everyone will have a satisfactory experience. Heavy consumers of data can continue to be heavy users at a lower speed.  Tower overloads would be short lived as each tower would automatically shift users to other towers or bands and would reduce heavy user max bandwidth.

• Like 5

streaming Pandora for two hours a day will actually consume about 2 GB per month (random google result)...

10 Hours a day every day for a month? Yikes...

-----

Last month was my first on the Framily 1GB plan.. I used 500 mb... Unless I start streaming a lot I can get by with that (I do use around that much more on each my iPhone on Verizon and my iPad on ATT though... still under 2gb total)... If I start streaming more (due to better networks) I am sure I will need to bump up to the 3gb plan though...

I use the high quality option most of the time so I feel like it'd be a bit more. Anyways yeah its like 4-5 during the day while I'm doing stuffs and about 4-5 while I'm trying to fall asleep. I just see keeping the unlimited and letting people be able to use a larger amount when they need to occasionally as a huge selling point against the big two. On occasions like this past month having unlimited through Sprint has been a lifesaver, where I'd have had almost $300 in overages if I still had at&t.

I'm not saying let people abuse and misuse as they want, but putting too harsh of a throttling cap(or cutting unlimited) takes away one of the major selling points for Sprint.

• Like 1