Whither AWS-3

bigsnake49

Unless the FCC also auctions some downlink spectrum, this will be useless spectrum. If it can be used as TDD that will be fine, but strictly for uplink, no. If it can be used as downlink, then Dish might be interested.

I meant if you used it for FDD uplink only, then potentially (if it is technically possible) if you were running a 3:2 split on some tdd you already had you could use that entirely for downlink (and the control channel), but yes its a massive stretch. The only real use is if using it as uplink frees up some other spectrum which would mean tdd as fdd is already mandated as fixed uplink and downlink. Return path isn't in much demand so for this to be worth much it has to be used to free up spectrum elsewhere for downlink. 

I meant if you used it for FDD uplink only, then potentially (if it is technically possible) if you were running a 3:2 split on some tdd you already had you could use that entirely for downlink (and the control channel), but yes its a massive stretch. The only real use is if using it as uplink frees up some other spectrum which would mean tdd as fdd is already mandated as fixed uplink and downlink. Return path isn't in much demand so for this to be worth much it has to be used to free up spectrum elsewhere for downlink. 

Yep, I agree with you, so if you were bidding, you would first have to have the FCC allow you to reverse some other spectrum from uplink to downlink and that would mean massive disruption if it is spectrum that is already used. Now if it lies fallow, then no problem.

Do you need to ask the FCC to change uplink ratios on TDD?

Nope, it can be changed as required by the carrier, however all sites in an area have to have the same ratio  and be in sync. otherwise they would interfere with each other - say if one site was transmitting on downlink at the same time as another neighboring site was receiving in uplink. That's my understanding anyway.

• 2 weeks later...