AWD vs FWD

richy

Yeah the whole age and sex thing for insurance probably works when you have 20 million customers, but it doesn't work for all the people who don't fall into the stereotypes.

Give a bike a shot sometime, even a $4k new 250cc sports bike can be a howl. Just be prepared to pay $2k for a decent helmet and leathers (plus gloves and boots) and take all the learning you can, spending less isn't worth it. DOT certified helmets that aren't snell or ec rated should be ignored. Also get yourself online and find a decent truck horn and fit that :) The only danger is bikes tend to make you go all red eyed millennium falcon at hyperspace crazy.

Well I'm a Star wars nerd so that's fine by me:P. Yeah I know a few people who are into them, and dirt biking. Its just going to be more of a when I have extra money situation(which college and a wedding inside of the next 6 years doesn't leave much). We should have a S4GRU powwow sometime where everyone can meet and showoff their toys.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well I'm a Star wars nerd so that's fine by me:P. Yeah I know a few people who are into them, and dirt biking. Its just going to be more of a when I have extra money situation(which college and a wedding inside of the next 6 years doesn't leave much). We should have a S4GRU powwow sometime where everyone can meet and showoff their toys.

Congrats on the wedding, if you are considering Maui give me a shout (was a wedding photog here) amd I can put you in touch with some decent coordinators and vendors. 

I wasn't kidding about the millenium falcon :) When you look at 0-60 times for mid to high end sports bikes theyre insane, sub 3 second, with the higher end bikes pulling until you hit 150, then wind resistance vs relatively low torque tend to slow them down. Braking is also pretty decent, cornering is the weak point vs cars but it has its own charm, with the bike cranked totally over you can carry some respectable speed and its huge fun opening the taps as you come out of a corner and have it squirm all over the place. If you like dirt biking you can find a really decent dual sport that will pull double duty, something like the drz 400 should have the chops for most road situations and do moderate trails AND you can find them used for cheaps. The kwaka DS 650 is a bit fat and old, depending n your build and strength it might not matter so much but the ktm kids will leave you for dead on trails, at least until they have to stop to do an oil change and replace whatever dohicky in the engine had broken. The best thing about bikes is the vast majority of riders are very friendly and helpful. With the exception of a few 'too cool for friends hardley' riders (and even most hardley riders are friendly) you always get a shaka here as you pass each other and if you see someone pulled up fixing something everyone stops to help. I got to ride a while back with an awesome old Japanese guy with an ancient (manual ignition retard old) import, just passed each other and stopped for a chat and went for a ride up Haleakala because it was a nice day. Watching craigslist can net you a bike seriously cheap, too many mid life crisis bikes on there. If you live in a state that allows you to restore your own writeoffs you can buy a crashed bike with mostly cosmetic damage and get it back on the road for 20%- 30% of its sticker price just minus the plastics. 

Congrats on the wedding, if you are considering Maui give me a shout (was a wedding photog here) amd I can put you in touch with some decent coordinators and vendors.

I wasn't kidding about the millenium falcon :) When you look at 0-60 times for mid to high end sports bikes theyre insane, sub 3 second, with the higher end bikes pulling until you hit 150, then wind resistance vs relatively low torque tend to slow them down. Braking is also pretty decent, cornering is the weak point vs cars but it has its own charm, with the bike cranked totally over you can carry some respectable speed and its huge fun opening the taps as you come out of a corner and have it squirm all over the place. If you like dirt biking you can find a really decent dual sport that will pull double duty, something like the drz 400 should have the chops for most road situations and do moderate trails AND you can find them used for cheaps. The kwaka DS 650 is a bit fat and old, depending n your build and strength it might not matter so much but the ktm kids will leave you for dead on trails, at least until they have to stop to do an oil change and replace whatever dohicky in the engine had broken. The best thing about bikes is the vast majority of riders are very friendly and helpful. With the exception of a few 'too cool for friends hardley' riders (and even most hardley riders are friendly) you always get a shaka here as you pass each other and if you see someone pulled up fixing something everyone stops to help. I got to ride a while back with an awesome old Japanese guy with an ancient (manual ignition retard old) import, just passed each other and stopped for a chat and went for a ride up Haleakala because it was a nice day. Watching craigslist can net you a bike seriously cheap, too many mid life crisis bikes on there. If you live in a state that allows you to restore your own writeoffs you can buy a crashed bike with mostly cosmetic damage and get it back on the road for 20%- 30% of its sticker price just minus the plastics.

Thanks, it's still a few years away. I'm just the type of person who manages my money extremely well so something that big of an expense is already being planned and saved for. Its probably the one thing I'm fairly ocd about lol. I'm definitely a fan of Craigslist' (I got my car 3k under what it shouldve gone for due to someone being in a pinch:P), and I'm down with the do it yourself repair work. I do everything sort of major engine work and transmission problems myself. I credit that to having a handyman engineer for a father.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found thru my years of driving/renting in the islands of Hawaii (Oahu, Maui, Big Island and Kauai) is that a AWD vehicle is a must. For those that just stay in the major city areas could possibly get by without one. But I've noticed that even in the cities there are areas that a regular car will have an issue getting into driveways that are steep and just gravel or rocky terrain. I've rented 2WD once and had issues. Had to change to a Jeep Wrangler. Great vehicle but not so great mileage. Other times I used a Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorento, both quite capable. Im looking foward to trying the new Jeep Renegade for 2015 since it gets 32+ mileage but looks more like a Fiat than a Jeep. it's funny you mention that southern road from Hana thru the Kaupo gap, even I was worried driving on it with the Wrangler.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk