Recent high latencies

I'm still not understanding these latencies. I NEVER see latency this high on LTE. Hell, even on NV EVDO my latencies are mostly sub 100ms with the occasional jaunt to 110ms.

That's great, and I'm happy for you, but as I said previously, latency is notably worse right now in areas which are receiving MSC upgrades. Latency above 100 ms is normal all over Louisiana right now since our normal MSC is offline.

I wonder if On the 3g latency test, they were including 1x as well? I just did a test on my airave and home Wifi, The airave was reporting a ping of 120ms, but would not actually complete the rest of the test, and on Wifi, it would show a latency of 483ms, and 1/3 of the bandwidth I am getting on e ery other speed test. Sounds kinda like bad data, and could lead to skewed and poor results listed above, if these types of situations were repeated on several occasions.

That's great, and I'm happy for you, but as I said previously, latency is notably worse right now in areas which are receiving MSC upgrades. Latency above 100 ms is normal all over Louisiana right now since our normal MSC is offline.

I'm well aware of the MSC updates, but this is a relatively recent issue. This data was recorded in February. Were the MSC upgrades taking place during this time period? The good news is, it will get better for you. In places that aren't having MSC upgrades, latencies are still low.

I am getting bad latencies and speeds at work now here at work now near Decatur, GA.  I'm on the 3rd floor and my office has a window.  Normally I get a LTE signal and it will be in the 92-100db range which gets me anywhere from 1-10Mbps generally.  That is perfect for streaming audio etc..., but in the last few weeks I have noticed every app streaming wise is starting to buffer more often, sometimes to the point of being useless.  I check my speeds and I am getting 253Kbps and lower download speed with anywhere from 90-900 ping times.  One time I updated my profile and PRL and it fixed it for a few hours but it has since gone bad again.  I tried to stream a live feed of the NCAA bracket tournament and it won't do it because of the crappy speed.

I've noticed decreased speed and higher latencies through the Atlanta metro area in the last few weeks also.  I am wondering if something is going on?

I am getting bad latencies and speeds at work now here at work now near Decatur, GA.  I'm on the 3rd floor and my office has a window.  Normally I get a LTE signal and it will be in the 92-100db range which gets me anywhere from 1-10Mbps generally.  That is perfect for streaming audio etc..., but in the last few weeks I have noticed every app streaming wise is starting to buffer more often, sometimes to the point of being useless.  I check my speeds and I am getting 253Kbps and lower download speed with anywhere from 90-900 ping times.  One time I updated my profile and PRL and it fixed it for a few hours but it has since gone bad again.  I tried to stream a live feed of the NCAA bracket tournament and it won't do it because of the crappy speed.

I've noticed decreased speed and higher latencies through the Atlanta metro area in the last few weeks also.  I am wondering if something is going on?

We have heard that Sprint is doing some work at MSC's/DDC's to expand capacity, and they are temporarily routing traffic to other Sprint Data Centers/MSC's which is causing a ping increase and throughput decrease.  Sprint is also actively deploying CDMA 800 and Band 26 around the Atlanta market.  So it may be an issue for a little while.  But when they go live, a Triband LTE phone might be a good upgrade.

Robert

We have heard that Sprint is doing some work at MSC's/DDC's to expand capacity, and they are temporarily routing traffic to other Sprint Data Centers/MSC's which is causing a ping increase and throughput decrease. Sprint is also actively deploying CDMA 800 and Band 26 around the Atlanta market. So it may be an issue for a little while. But when they go live, a Triband LTE phone might be a good upgrade.

Robert

To add, I can confirm the entire state of Louisiana is being routed through Atlanta right now, so it would make sense for that poster to experience the problem.

• Like 3

Well I reported the problem in my work area.  Several other co-workers are experiencing the same type issue around here.  It might be a bad local issue, but I agree overall speeds/latency has been worse over the last 2-3 weeks in the metro area.  Although on most towers I get decent speeds.  If people are being routed through Atlanta that might make sense then.  

As for a tri-band phone.  I will be getting the LG G3 probably when they start selling it in June or July which is right around my contract end date anyway.  With the way phones are these days I have no problem keeping a phone for 2 years and signing another contract, not to mention with my corporate discount changing my plan now and paying a monthly payment on a phone for no contract will cost me more money.  I am plenty happy with my S3 still although I have rooted and done several mods to it.

To add, I can confirm the entire state of Louisiana is being routed through Atlanta right now, so it would make sense for that poster to experience the problem.

I'd rather have my phone routed through Atlanta than my flight... ;)

• Like 3

I'd rather have my phone routed through Atlanta than my flight... ;)

Both cause significant delays!  :devilangel:

Robert

• Like 2

We have heard that Sprint is doing some work at MSC's/DDC's to expand capacity, and they are temporarily routing traffic to other Sprint Data Centers/MSC's which is causing a ping increase and throughput decrease.  Sprint is also actively deploying CDMA 800 and Band 26 around the Atlanta market.  So it may be an issue for a little while.  But when they go live, a Triband LTE phone might be a good upgrade.

Robert

Could this be my problem?

Could this be my problem?

Possibly.  It can affect any Sprint customer.  I don't know anything about your problem.

Robert

So I'm getting real bad speeds on a tower I connect to frequently here in Wichita, KS. It seems like the tower I connect to never gets faster than .1 down or up in Mbps. I heard that they're upgrading the tower's backhaul but this is pretty bad. Any ideas? PM me if you need specifics.

Possibly.  It can affect any Sprint customer.  I don't know anything about your problem.

Robert

This. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/727536094     

This looks exactly like my tests near my work in SW Dekalb County, GA. I have called and told sprint of the problem. They said they would get engineers out. I called back about a week later and they told me there was a tower out and they were working on it. They gave me a completion date. I waited two days after the completion date, and I still have these type results and my LTE signal levels are always around -84 to -92 usually in my office. I should be getting better speeds with that kind of signal. I called them back and they told me the work had been completed but they would tell the engineers my issue. Told me to wait a few more days and see if it stabilizes.

I discussed with tech support that I was starting to think it was capacity issues. I have noticed all over the Atlanta area the speeds when close to a tower have gone from 30-50Mbps to around 10Mbps usually and obviously the further from the tower I get it now peters out a lot closer to the towers than it used to for useful speeds.

I was thinking of re-upping a 2 year contract but if they can't even give me enough speed to stream Spotify in my office than there are issues. I hope the problem is localized but I fear it is capacity problem just like I experienced on 3G. The funny thing in my office if I toggle LTE off I get faster speeds on 3G though it is still sub 1Mbps....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

This looks exactly like my tests near my work in SW Dekalb County, GA. I have called and told sprint of the problem. They said they would get engineers out. I called back about a week later and they told me there was a tower out and they were working on it. They gave me a completion date. I waited two days after the completion date, and I still have these type results and my LTE signal levels are always around -84 to -92 usually in my office. I should be getting better speeds with that kind of signal. I called them back and they told me the work had been completed but they would tell the engineers my issue. Told me to wait a few more days and see if it stabilizes.

I discussed with tech support that I was starting to think it was capacity issues. I have noticed all over the Atlanta area the speeds when close to a tower have gone from 30-50Mbps to around 10Mbps usually and obviously the further from the tower I get it now peters out a lot closer to the towers than it used to for useful speeds.

I was thinking of re-upping a 2 year contract but if they can't even give me enough speed to stream Spotify in my office than there are issues. I hope the problem is localized but I fear it is capacity problem just like I experienced on 3G. The funny thing in my office if I toggle LTE off I get faster speeds on 3G though it is still sub 1Mbps....

The thing about capacity issues on LTE right now, is that since not all towers are upgraded, there will be many more people than intended on each the towers. Increasing backhaul and adding LTE carriers now on every tower experiencing lower than intended speeds and such would be a waste of resources that could be better used to instead upgrade other towers nearby, which would have the same effect of reducing strain. So you get one or the other, either a higher capacity single tower that still only covers what it does, or another upgraded tower nearby that also takes some of the strain off while increasing overall coverage.

Once all neighboring sites are upgraded, if speeds are still low then they will go through determining where the issue lies and correcting it. The new equipment is capable of self-monitoring everything from call blocks and drops to data throughput and ping, all automatically, and alerting the network teams of issues as it reaches set alert levels. Unlike the network of the past that had limited monitoring capabilities and very much relied on customers calling in, the new system does not require that in most cases. This system relies on the majority of towers being active and NV complete however, otherwise they are operating on incomplete information, and making thousands of dollars of upgrades based on incomplete info isn't what we want to see.

I actually have been getting better speeds lately. I think they are doing something because in the last week I've switched from a tower that identifies as tower 12 in the n5 engineering screens to tower 187, seen some band 26, and hit a speed test around 30 Mbps in a building I could only hit 17 before right near a tower.

The thing about capacity issues on LTE right now, is that since not all towers are upgraded, there will be many more people than intended on each the towers. Increasing backhaul and adding LTE carriers now on every tower experiencing lower than intended speeds and such would be a waste of resources that could be better used to instead upgrade other towers nearby, which would have the same effect of reducing strain. So you get one or the other, either a higher capacity single tower that still only covers what it does, or another upgraded tower nearby that also takes some of the strain off while increasing overall coverage.

Once all neighboring sites are upgraded, if speeds are still low then they will go through determining where the issue lies and correcting it. The new equipment is capable of self-monitoring everything from call blocks and drops to data throughput and ping, all automatically, and alerting the network teams of issues as it reaches set alert levels. Unlike the network of the past that had limited monitoring capabilities and very much relied on customers calling in, the new system does not require that in most cases. This system relies on the majority of towers being active and NV complete however, otherwise they are operating on incomplete information, and making thousands of dollars of upgrades based on incomplete info isn't what we want to see.

That's all well and good but I'm in Atlanta the 1st market for LTE, maybe I'm mistaken but single band LTE is almost 100% complete in this market. I know Spark isn't, but single band is. Also it doesn't make sense that I would get great service and speeds in this particular area for all this time(almost 2 years) and it starts sucking just now.

I fully believe this is a capacity issue that will only possibly be solved by tri-band.

Edited by troyd96

Whatever was wrong has fixed itself near my work. They did tell me it took up to 72 hours to get back to full capacity after being down. I guess that is what it was. Anyone with enough technical knowledge to tell me why it takes up to 72 hours after they fix a down tower for it to be back to full speed data/voice?

• Like 1

Whatever was wrong has fixed itself near my work. They did tell me it took up to 72 hours to get back to full capacity after being down. I guess that is what it was. Anyone with enough technical knowledge to tell me why it takes up to 72 hours after they fix a down tower for it to be back to full speed data/voice?

What they mean to say is that Ericsson theoretically continues to monitor and adjust sites based on 72 hours of actual usage data following a problem.

EDIT: I've noticed my ping times are halved today across my market. Speed tests are faster as well. They've definitely done something positive.

• Like 2

What they mean to say is that Ericsson theoretically continues to monitor and adjust sites based on 72 hours of actual usage data following a problem.

EDIT: I've noticed my ping times are halved today across my market. Speed tests are faster as well. They've definitely done something positive.

Same here.  It's noticeable for sure.

Wasn't Ericsson part of the original problems with Sprint, as they were not doing the upgrades the were paid to do? If so why are they keeping Ericsson until at least 2016, according to John Saw (Sprint's new CNO). Why isn't Sprint managing its own network?

They signed a multi-year contact contract. Breaking it would involve Ericsson's mistakes violating contractual obligations AND Sprint actually being ready and capable to bring it back in-house right now, and I don't think they are.