Air Rave Causing Excessive Battery Drain?

o_swas

Hi,

Does anybody here use an Air Rave?  If so, has it every caused undue battery drain on your phone?

My buddy and his wife have LG G2 phones.  After a recent firmware update (I think the one that enabled Spark) he noticed that when at home on wifi, the battery would drain 50% or more overnight while he was sleeping. 

He noticed that when he turned wifi off on his G2, the battery drain went away while he was at home. 

He was pretty sure it was the router since the battery drain only occurred when he was at home with wifi on.  So, he bought a new router.

He installed the new router last night.  His G2 was at 55% charge when he went to bed at 10:30 PM and 0% at 5:30 AM.  Not good.

So now he's wondering if the Air Rave is causing problems.  By process of elimination that pretty much has to be it.

Has anybody else had a similar experience with the Air Rave?  Did a new unit fix the problem or is it a firmware problem on the Air Rave?

Thank you!!

-Ryan

I opened a thread about this a few weeks ago. My conclusion. It's both the airave and your phone due to complicated reasons I really don't understand or care because b26 is around the corner.

Temporary solution that WORKED at least for me: Turn off mobile data and use ONLY wifi. Something about turning of mobile data prevents my phone from constantly searching for a new tower which I assume is the culprit of battery drain. I often see it switching between the airave and the actual tower which provides me with a  whopping 1 bar when cellular data is on.

So, turn of mobile data at home. Try again. 

I thought the Air Rave only provided voice service.  Does it also provide data services?  And why would your phone search for a tower if the Air Rave is right there?

Not doubting you, I'm just trying to make sense of it.

I thought the Air Rave only provided voice service.  Does it also provide data services?  And why would your phone search for a tower if the Air Rave is right there?

Excellent questions. Yes the airave provides data services. And to the rest of the questions....I searched and searched and searched for those answers as I had the same question. My only conclusion is that it is an issue with the airave and/or my iPhone. I only mention it because it appears that your friend might've experienced the same issue. I sat here one day and watched my phone drain 20% in less than 10 minutes. Then turned mobile data off the next day and my phone sat there for 3 hours and went down 1%.

Like I said. Complicated reasons I do not really understand. The only solution, since you use wifi while at home anyways, is to turn mobile data off. It worked for me on my 5S, and for everyone else in the house. 

The G2 is a tri-band device. It prefers to connect only to LTE and to get its CDMA1x packets through CSFB. You will see battery drain when connected to an Airave because it is still searching for LTE. Try disabling LTE altogether.

• Like 1

Yes it does search for other towers. Why is beyond me. If you can turn LTE off, and do a pro/profile update when using the airave, and when you leave do another. I've found doing that on an airave does help. Maybe a placebo effect.