Netgear 4G LTE Router Gateway/New Plans

mrknowitall526

I just purchased one on Saturday. I am looking for a backup to our T1's in a remote office location that has no other option for a data connection. I installed today and before pluging it into our network router I was logged into the interface of the Netgear LTE router some how it used 25 MB of data, not sure if there was some setting that it needed to pickup from Sprint but I thought this to be a bit extreme.

After the install I set as our main data route for about an hour to see how it would handle. With 1 bar of service on the Netgear and 3 bars on my Galaxy S3, my data speed seemed good and similar. I was around 6 meg up and down. I only used about 40 meg in an hour with about 28 PC's and 8 servers. It handled the traffic with no problem. I don't want to run the company on this connection just wanted to check how it would perform for us. I have since set it to load balance for the next two day and then I will have it sit until our main connection goes down. (Easy monthly money for Sprint).

I have been over this router top to bottom for settings and configurations. If anyone has questions I will be more than happy to answer.

I'm glad someone is using it for what it was intended to be used for. Are you on the 30GB plan? And also, you said on 1 bar you have 6 up/down. How deep into the building is it located?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I'm glad someone is using it for what it was intended to be used for. Are you on the 30GB plan? And also, you said on 1 bar you have 6 up/down. How deep into the building is it located?

The building is about 1 1/2 miles from the tower, it is a blend of a steal pole building with a nice stone outside. The server room is located about 50 ft from the outside wall with 3 or 4 drywall walls in-between. I have it tucked away for security reasons in the server room as we don't have an IT admin on-site all the time in that location. Also this is not much of a drop from the outside of the building with my cell phone. If I am lucky I can get around 9 meg but 6-7 is normal outside.

I am currently on the 6 gig plan. I hope that we don't have to use it much as I don't want to put a strain on the network. I just need something to keep my head about water if the T1's go down.

• Like 1

I did notice one other thing that baffles me is, since 12pm today when I first fired it up it has had at least 4 different public IP addresses. This did not seem to cause any issues but just not sure why.

The building is about 1 1/2 miles from the tower, it is a blend of a steal pole building with a nice stone outside. The server room is located about 50 ft from the outside wall with 3 or 4 drywall walls in-between. I have it tucked away for security reasons in the server room as we don't have an IT admin on-site all the time in that location. Also this is not much of a drop from the outside of the building with my cell phone. If I am lucky I can get around 9 meg but 6-7 is normal outside.

I am currently on the 6 gig plan. I hope that we don't have to use it much as I don't want to put a strain on the network. I just need something to keep my head about water if the T1's go down.

That's pretty good signal for that device then. Definitely needed to see real world signal propagation as I wasn't sure how well it was going to perform. But now I know that it is going to do well. If word gets out enough, I wonder how popular this device will get.

I did notice one other thing that baffles me is, since 12pm today when I first fired it up it has had at least 4 different public IP addresses. This did not seem to cause any issues but just not sure why.

I don't know. Network updates, device updates. It could be any one of those things.

Because you're not assigned static IP addresses probably. I know vz can assign statics for their 3g modems, I'm sure Sprint would too if you asked and paid for them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Because you're not assigned static IP addresses probably. I know vz can assign statics for their 3g modems, I'm sure Sprint would too if you asked and paid for them.

After thinking about it I am wonder if they are working on LTE 800 or something that might be in testing and the router is fighting for the best connection.

Either way, it is unlikely you'll get a static IP address unless you are paying for it.

I don't know. Network updates, device updates. It could be any one of those things.

My Mifi gets a different IP address everytime it reconnects - which is usually once everything has disconnected from it and it goes to "sleep" - even though I have it set to always on.

Just as an update using this in a business environment, I have it setup to do load balancing. In 3 hours I have ate up almost 6 gig of data. I did not realize how much data a small office could eat up. On the plus side the Netgear and Sprints network performed better then expected. :)

• Like 3

Just as an update using this in a business environment, I have it setup to do load balancing. In 3 hours I have ate up almost 6 gig of data. I did not realize how much data a small office could eat up. On the plus side the Netgear and Sprints network performed better then expected. :)

3 hours!? Glad to hear it's performing well!

• 1 month later...

Ok. I finally looked at the FCC docs for the Gateway. And they did it this way. It's a router utilizing a wireless module using a different FCC ID. That's why I never discovered this device until after Sprint announced it.  :scratch: Talk about secrecy.

Anyway, the Max Conducted power is 23.49 dBm for Band 41 with an Antenna Gain of 9.5 dBi. Band 25 is 24.76 dBm with Antenna Gain of 8 dBi, and Band 26 is 24.92 dBm with Antenna Gain of 7.9 dBi.

CDMA side of things is:

Band Class 1 (PCS) 24.76 dBm average

Band Class 10 (SMR) 24.84 dBm average

Band Class 0 (Cellular) 24.69 dBm average (based on 1xRTT roaming)

What is the FCC ID Number for the wireless module?

I need the FCC ID of the Zing so I can look it up. I always forget to write things down like that.

It is in the Device thread in the FCC Doc column. 

Is 52ms a good ping latency for one of these? I'm looking at possibly is one of these for a none profit I work with that uses VoIP over very bad att DSL lines. I'm looking at getting a tower set up to partner with a wisp, but that is 6-9 months out.

So it will be a short term solution. But needs to be reasably low latency to handle the VoIP traffic.

Thoughts?

Is 52ms a good ping latency for one of these? I'm looking at possibly is one of these for a none profit I work with that uses VoIP over very bad att DSL lines. I'm looking at getting a tower set up to partner with a wisp, but that is 6-9 months out.

So it will be a short term solution. But needs to be reasably low latency to handle the VoIP traffic.

Thoughts?

I would say very good ping for cellular. Just be careful on how much traffic you have . I burned through data very quickly and for as much as I liked the router it did not work out for me.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone explain...I'm receiving an upload EARCFN of 40978 with a download EARCFN of 8665. Could I be on bands 25 and 41 simultaneously?ahuguje9.jpg

No. It's a reporting error. Your device is misreporting the Upload channel and it did not populate the B41 channel for upload correctly. Some devices never show the B41 upload channel correctly. On B41, the upload and download channel are the same because they use TDD.

That makes sense. My closest tower has no NV work done but has Clear B41. There is another tower in the other direction about 1/2 mile further from me that is broadcasting B25. My router is parked on that one 80% of the time, the other 20% on the Clear B41. Just depends on conditions, usually on B41 early mornings for some reason. Maybe an external antenna would keep me on B41. I must experiment...I did notice when I'm on B41 both UL and DL channels are 40978.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice job!!!

Which Parabolic Antenna did you use?

I had great results with the Cal Amp 21db Parabolic.

That's the one I purchased, I believe you are the one I purchased from (based on your user name). I'm the guy that had the wrong cable and connection, I bought the right cable and connection from you recently (BTW, the little wire in the hole trick to bridge the gap worked perfect until I received the right cable, thanks! I went from -104 dbm to -84 dbm). I'm averaging 30 Mbps down and 19 Mbps up, every once in awhile hitting 50 Mbps up. It's nice to be on B41 with its capacity and speed, was stuck on B25 without the antenna and every night when people got home from work it would slow to about 1.5 Mbps. Until TWC replaces my damaged underground cable feed, I have no other option for an ISP unless I want to deal with Verizon DSL...I have no fiber here. And it's been almost a year since TWC has reported back, I called back recently and I'm on the low end of the totem pole. Thank God for Sprint Spark, thank God for your antenna shop...I would be stuck in the Stone Age otherwise.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

That's great to hear, Yes I remember our conversation (I am Robert from the IL Support team). Well if you need any other assistance we are always here for you! Now we need an unlimited plan code for that 6100D M2M modem and life will be great! LOL

Robert

That's great to hear, Yes I remember our conversation (I am Robert from the IL Support team). Well if you need any other assistance we are always here for you! Now we need an unlimited plan code for that 6100D M2M modem and life will be great! LOL

Robert

Yep, I'm over my limit by 4 gigs...at $15 per gig, I'm definitely not watching videos or updating apps for the next 11 days!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The SIM >> SIMGLT207R is a game changer!! I am testing a very interesting idea using the 6100D and MIFI SIM card. :) I will keep you guys posted!

Would love to hear your very interesting Idea.  Was thinking about picking one of these up this week.

• Like 2