Sprint Launches New LTE Cities and Spark Markets (2/24/2014)

I've not visited DC in quite some time but from sensorly and other evidence (some only anecdotal) it would seem that significantly more than the requisite 40% pops are already covered. I wonder what the hold up in an official Sprint acknowledgment might be. Interesting.

The DC coverage is still rather poor, the poorest of all First Round markets. And it is missing from some key areas. Unless acceptances pick up, I don't think it will be soon. This market has languished.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

The DC coverage is still rather poor, the poorest of all First Round markets. And it is missing from some key areas. Unless acceptances pick up, I don't think it will be soon. This market has languished.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Any particular issues related specifically to this market that you are aware of that may be hindering acceptances?

Any particular issues related specifically to this market that you are aware of that may be hindering acceptances?

Just good, old fashioned, they can't seem to get it done.  The 'brown dot' sites are still not converted to Network Vision and probably have a variety of permitting, owner or contractor issues.  The red/light blue marker sites (3G only) are suffering from backhaul install issues.  It's just a mess.

Robert

• Like 2

Just good, old fashioned, they can't seem to get it done.  The 'brown dot' sites are still not converted to Network Vision and probably have a variety of permitting, owner or contractor issues.  The red/light blue marker sites (3G only) are suffering from backhaul install issues.  It's just a mess.

Robert

Great. Because Capitol Hill needs yet one more way in which to remain disconnected.
  • Like 1

The odd thing is that here where I live in Fairfax County (near Fairfax City), I actually have been getting 4G signal in a lot of places.

It is only recently that I have noticed that my phone is on 3G more frequently than before.

More annoying to me, through, is that in some areas, frequently when my phone is connected to 4G, either my data is incredibly slow, or does not work at all. A few times, I have had to actually switch my phone to CDMA Only mode, just to get usable data.

• Like 1

So when lte shows up on the coverage maps of sprint does that mean its fixing to launch? Just noticed that they have my city showing fully covered now so I figured that my city should be in the next update.

When is South Bay Area going to be announced? I know they are a second round market compared to At&t and T-Mobile, but I just want to know an eta.

When CSFB upgrades are complete. We don't know how long that will take. Could be in 45-60 days.

So when lte shows up on the coverage maps of sprint does that mean its fixing to launch? Just noticed that they have my city showing fully covered now so I figured that my city should be in the next update.

Yes. However, launching does not impact coverage. It's just when they say the coverage that has been deployed is now official. They will continue to deploy and sites will go live one at a time.

It makes me look forward even more to attending High Point University in Fall of 2015. Not only will I be going to the greatest college I have ever seen, I will also have an amazing Sprint experience also!  :tu:

Well, to be honest, how many colleges/universities have you ever seen?  Frame of reference is always key.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Seeing Sprint Spark pop up at several locations in Northern Jersey, even though it's not on the launch list. If initial Spark markets are all Clearwire sites, I'm wondering if Clearwire's definition of New York City market, unlike Sprint's, extends into NJ?

Got 48 Mbps down at the Newport Center Mall yesterday. A few days before that, pulled 8 Mbps down on B41 with -111 RSRP. Not bad :)

• Like 1

Seeing Sprint Spark pop up at several locations in Northern Jersey, even though it's not on the launch list. If initial Spark markets are all Clearwire sites, I'm wondering if Clearwire's definition of New York City market, unlike Sprint's, extends into NJ?

Got 48 Mbps down at the Newport Center Mall yesterday. A few days before that, pulled 8 Mbps down on B41 with -111 RSRP. Not bad :)

It does extend into New Jersey. Sprint hasn't official launched LTE on the Jersey side, so they can't call it a Spark market. But I assume when it does launch, it will be labeled as a Spark market as well.

Looks like Sprint was messing with us again.

Just like they did with Philadelphia and Baltimore, they've removed Tacoma from coverage maps as a Spark market.

Salt Lake City and Jacksonville remain. 

The official word about the launches should come later today. The OP will be updated when we see the press release. 

Well, to be honest, how many colleges/universities have you ever seen?  Frame of reference is always key.

;)

AJ

He must have never seen Indiana University in person - that would change his entire view of how a campus should look.

:)

• Like 2

He must have never seen Indiana University in person - that would change his entire view of how a campus should look.

:)

I wish i remembered what it looked like. The only thing i remember from any of my visits was drinking until i blacked out. I had great friends lol.

How do you know Tacoma, Wa. is going to get Spark? Also how do we know if we are connected to Spark? I ran a speed test in Puyallup, Wa and got a download speed of 45 MBPS down and 9 MBPS up.... And I haven't seen Puyallup on the map to receive spark anywhere

How do you know Tacoma, Wa. is going to get Spark? Also how do we know if we are connected to Spark? I ran a speed test in Puyallup, Wa and got a download speed of 45 MBPS down and 9 MBPS up.... And I haven't seen Puyallup on the map to receive spark anywhere

Since you were over 37 Mbps, I'd almost guarantee you were on band 41 "Spark" and not the single 5x5 of PCS LTE that Sprint originally rolled out. 

would one of the new spark cities been in mid America a little to the west go with 3 answers. No way. in your dreams. You nailed it.

:scratch:

Oh, I get your comment now. It's a multiple choice question. 

Would one of the new Spark cities be in mid-America, a little to the West? You have 3 choices:

A. No way.

B. In your dreams.

C. You nailed it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They actually removed it from the map, but there should be some Spark coverage in Tacoma now anyway.