What is the process for bringing new towers online?

What is the process for bringing NV complete sites online once the hardware upgrades are complete? The equipment is all installed at the sites near my house but they have not been listed as complete in the maps and I cannot get any indication of the tower being NV complete and online through my phone. When do they typically turn the new sites on? Do they take the towers offline and reboot them for the final setup? Any info would be appreciated.

What is the process for bringing NV complete sites online once the hardware upgrades are complete? The equipment is all installed at the sites near my house but they have not been listed as complete in the maps and I cannot get any indication of the tower being NV complete and online through my phone. When do they typically turn the new sites on? Do they take the towers offline and reboot them for the final setup? Any info would be appreciated.

Where are you? That makes a difference in how completed sites are handled.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

After the tower has been 3g accepted. All the NV is setup and ready. After that they transfer it from legacy to the NV equipment, And remove all the legacy stuff. After that only thing that is holding the LTE back is the back haul.

To find out where your city is at with upgrade, then look in the sponsor section

After the tower has been 3g accepted. All the NV is setup and ready. After that they transfer it from legacy to the NV equipment, And remove all the legacy stuff. After that only thing that is holding the LTE back is the back haul.

To find out where your city is at with upgrade, then look in the sponsor section

What might hold a tower "in progress" and not 3g accepted for an extended period on the order of months?

What might hold a tower "in progress" and not 3g accepted for an extended period on the order of months?

Waiting for the cluster to be complete. You're a Samsung market, Samsung cannot accept a site as 3G complete until every site in the cluster is ready to go. And they can't accept a site as 4G complete until it is 3G complete.

• Like 1

when they feel the urge....lol

seriously, i dont know if there is a rhyme or reason, other then what the powers to be know

have you tracked down your area and its maps??

Oh there are reasons. You should know! You just saw it happen in your part of Utah... The cluster launch. They can't do that until every site is ready to go.

Waiting for the cluster to be complete. You're a Samsung market, Samsung cannot accept a site as 3G complete until every site in the cluster is ready to go. And they can't accept a site as 4G complete until it is 3G complete.

"they can't accept a site as 4G complete until it is 3G complete." Are you 100% sure about that? I still see there are two site in Buffalo, NY they are Samsung and they are ONLY 4G accepted.... Am I right?  I could be wrong...   :unsure:

"they can't accept a site as 4G complete until it is 3G complete." Are you 100% sure about that? I still see there are two site in Buffalo, NY they are Samsung and they are ONLY 4G accepted.... Am I right?  I could be wrong...   :unsure:

100% factually true. 4G only sites were the modus operandi before this summer before all vendors focused on eCSFB/CSFB compatibility.Almost 0 4G only accepted sites have gone up in any Samsung market since this summer. 

• Like 1

Oh there are reasons. You should know! You just saw it happen in your part of Utah... The cluster launch. They can't do that until every site is ready to go.

oh i know....been around long enough and read enough....

but sometimes you have to wonder...like my home tower...no hardware for ever.....then it was like BAM

within a month, hardware, and accepted....yet there are still some that nothing in the way of acceptance....but they have everything else done....

there is one i swore would have been one of the 1st in the cluster....

100% factually true. 4G only sites were the modus operandi before this summer before all vendors focused on eCSFB/CSFB compatibility.Almost 0 4G only accepted sites have gone up in any Samsung market since this summer. 

interesting, I didnt know that, thats why I was confused lol

interesting, I didnt know that, thats why I was confused lol

Yes, before the end of Summer '13, Samsung would bring up whatever was ready, be it 3G or 4G.

However, since they realized CSFB was an issue with tri-band devices, they have only been accepting 4G after 3G and CSFB is in place.

Yes, before the end of Summer '13, Samsung would bring up whatever was ready, be it 3G or 4G.

However, since they realized CSFB was an issue with tri-band devices, they have only been accepting 4G after 3G and CSFB is in place.

That's good to know, I was just confused because the two in Buffalo, Ny have been strictly 4G for quite some time. Honestly its really silly 4G came first before 3G again just my opinion.

That's good to know, I was just confused because the two in Buffalo, Ny have been strictly 4G for quite some time. Honestly its really silly 4G came first before 3G again just my opinion.

Think of it this way. Samsung and Sprint used to allow sites where equipment was already installed that had backhaul complete to at least bring the LTE online and be used. Why let the LTE just sit there months and months waiting for the 3G cluster to be turned on? But this only helped Uniband devices.

Late summer/early Fall last year, Samsung switched gears and focused hard on whole 3G clusters. Bringing them up one at a time. This allowed eCSFB to go live over the whole cluster at once and make sure that Triband devices were good to go. And then LTE was brought up on all the sites within each cluster where backhaul was ready after the fact.

So now backhaul is sitting there unutilized for months at many sites waiting for the 3G cluster to go online before any LTE can be integrated in that cluster. So some may think that's silly. In some ways it is. So it goes both ways. Which is better, allow some sites to go early that are ready and let some customers use them and get relief or make everyone wait until months later and the cluster is ready? You'll probably get a mixed bag of answers. But neither one is really the non silly answer.

But given the dire condition of the Sprint network, I would prefer they open anything and everything possible as early as possible. And if that means firing up LTE before 3G clusters and CSFB are ready for Triband customers, that's what I'd do.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Think of it this way. Samsung and Sprint used to allow sites where equipment was already installed that had backhaul complete to at least bring the LTE online and be used. Why let the LTE just sit there months and months waiting for the 3G cluster to be turned on? But this only helped Uniband devices. Late summer/early Fall last year, Samsung switched gears and focused hard on whole 3G clusters. Bringing them up one at a time. This allowed eCSFB to go live over the whole cluster at once and make sure that Triband devices were good to go. And then LTE was brought up on all the sites within each cluster where backhaul was ready after the fact. So now backhaul is sitting there unutilized for months at many sites waiting for the 3G cluster to go online before any LTE can be integrated in that cluster. So some may think that's silly. In some ways it is. So it goes both ways. Which is better, allow some sites to go early that are ready and let some customers use them and get relief or make everyone wait until months later and the cluster is ready? You'll probably get a mixed bag of answers. But neither one is really the non silly answer. But given the dire condition of the Sprint network, I would prefer they open anything and everything possible as early as possible. And if that means firing up LTE before 3G clusters and CSFB are ready for Triband customers, that's what I'd do. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Is there any technical reason we are missing where if we do one before the other we have issues? Ala Chicago? I always thought that was the reason, at least near me here in Richmond.

Is there any technical reason we are missing where if we do one before the other we have issues? Ala Chicago? I always thought that was the reason, at least near me here in Richmond.

I think the main drawback to turning on LTE without 3G and CSFB would be that you'll end up with areas in which older single band devices outperform newer Sprint Spark devices. That sends mixed messages marketing-wise, becuase Spark devices are supposed to be the latest and greatest devices. Maybe there's another, more technical reason for it as well, but I'm not aware of that.

Richmond is more than just CSFB.  There is a new vendor.  Richmond has legacy Motorola gear and being replaced with Alcatel Lucent.  So Sprint and Lucent are now in a pickle that they have to bring 3G up in clusters to prevent massive voice handoff/call drop problems.  And they will no longer bring up LTE by itself, because of the CSFB problem.  

So Richmond is being deployed more like a Samsung market now.  They have to work marketwide all at once now and bring up 3G in clusters.  Then when 3G/eCSFB is live in each cluster, they can double back and bring online the LTE on the sites in those clusters who already have their backhaul in place.

Robert

• Like 1

Richmond is more than just CSFB.  There is a new vendor.  Richmond has legacy Motorola gear and being replaced with Alcatel Lucent.  So Sprint and Lucent are now in a pickle that they have to bring 3G up in clusters to prevent massive voice handoff/call drop problems.  And they will no longer bring up LTE by itself, because of the CSFB problem.  

So Richmond is being deployed more like a Samsung market now.  They have to work marketwide all at once now and bring up 3G in clusters.  Then when 3G/eCSFB is live in each cluster, they can double back and bring online the LTE on the sites in those clusters who already have their backhaul in place.

Robert

Thanks for details.  It's been highly irritating waiting here. They had a quick spurt of activity at the end of 2013 and now almost two months into 2014 there's been nothing. 3g speeds have tanked everywhere I go south and west of Richmond. Seems to be only 1x speeds across the board. I do occasionally see the spark icon light up on my g2, but it disappears after a few seconds and no data can be sent. Oh, well. At least you can tell there is work going on even though progress seems painfully slow. 

Thanks for details.  It's been highly irritating waiting here. They had a quick spurt of activity at the end of 2013 and now almost two months into 2014 there's been nothing. 3g speeds have tanked everywhere I go south and west of Richmond. Seems to be only 1x speeds across the board. I do occasionally see the spark icon light up on my g2, but it disappears after a few seconds and no data can be sent. Oh, well. At least you can tell there is work going on even though progress seems painfully slow. 

Fortunately, when CSFB goes live there will be quite a few B41 sites that will just appear out of nowhere.  And they will likely have a nice backlog of B25 sites to integrate too.

Robert

• Like 1

Think of it this way. Samsung and Sprint used to allow sites where equipment was already installed that had backhaul complete to at least bring the LTE online and be used. Why let the LTE just sit there months and months waiting for the 3G cluster to be turned on? But this only helped Uniband devices. Late summer/early Fall last year, Samsung switched gears and focused hard on whole 3G clusters. Bringing them up one at a time. This allowed eCSFB to go live over the whole cluster at once and make sure that Triband devices were good to go. And then LTE was brought up on all the sites within each cluster where backhaul was ready after the fact. So now backhaul is sitting there unutilized for months at many sites waiting for the 3G cluster to go online before any LTE can be integrated in that cluster. So some may think that's silly. In some ways it is. So it goes both ways. Which is better, allow some sites to go early that are ready and let some customers use them and get relief or make everyone wait until months later and the cluster is ready? You'll probably get a mixed bag of answers. But neither one is really the non silly answer. But given the dire condition of the Sprint network, I would prefer they open anything and everything possible as early as possible. And if that means firing up LTE before 3G clusters and CSFB are ready for Triband customers, that's what I'd do. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Great information, always a good way to learn is to ask!  Thanks! 

• Like 1