Airave killing my battery?

jamisonshaw125

I hope it helps. I had battery drain issues with my 4S and it drove me crazy. I finally tracked the issue down to the fact that Skype, Talkatone, and Facebook would keep themselves in an active data session as opposed using the native push notifications that Apple supports. I deleted Skype & Talkatone altogether and killed off Facebook by double clicking menu button and killing it after every use. Miraculously my battery drastically improved - I was losing upwards of 10-15% per hour and after deleting / killing the culprits it dropped to 5-7% per hour even with moderate to heavy use. Your drain could be due to many things, but losing battery that quickly is very frustrating and I hope you find a solution soon.

I will continue trouble shooting if this doesnt work. Now that my data is off completely, if my phone dies just as fast I will know it is an issue with my phone switching between the native tower, and the airave....or something else and I will go get a new iPhone tomorrow. But I have been sitting here for 47 mins and my phone has gone down 1%. Much better.

I will continue trouble shooting if this doesnt work. Now that my data is off completely, if my phone dies just as fast I will know it is an issue with my phone switching between the native tower, and the airave....or something else and I will go get a new iPhone tomorrow. But I have been sitting here for 47 mins and my phone has gone down 1%. Much better.

Have you noticed if you're still getting push notifications over wifi such as iMessages / emails etc? If so then I think you've found your culprit. If this solution works for you it's certainly not ideal, but at least gives you a piece of mind and a workaround until a better solution can be found.

Have you noticed if you're still getting push notifications over wifi such as iMessages / emails etc? If so then I think you've found your culprit. If this solution works for you it's certainly not ideal, but at least gives you a piece of mind and a workaround until a better solution can be found.

Yes, I did get a few texts while in standby on wifi. This is probably it. Also, my bars have been a consistent 5 the entire time which means that my phone has not switched to the native tower down the street that provides me 0 coverage. Thank you for your help.

This will work at least while I am at home. I just really didn't want to have to plug my phone in every hour to keep it from being dead if I ever leave the house during the day lol.

• Like 1

Yes, I did get a few texts while in standby on wifi. This is probably it. Also, my bars have been a consistent 5 the entire time which means that my phone has not switched to the native tower down the street that provides me 0 coverage. Thank you for your help.

This will work at least while I am at home. I just really didn't want to have to plug my phone in every hour to keep it from being dead if I ever leave the house during the day lol.

I seriously wonder if this would be a solution for my Airave. I couldn't stay connected to it to save my life. I have since moved from the condo I was in where I needed it, in my house now it would just be a convenience and give me coverage in my basement. In the next week or so I'll have to plug it back in and play around with it to see what happens.

FYI, you can see exactly which tower you're connected to by entering the Field Test Mode and checking the Base ID info for both 1x and EVDO (LTE screen have more info). To enter Field Test Mode just dial *3001#12345#* and then call. The Airave Base ID was always something much longer than the tower servicing my house and was easy to see which it was connected to (and more accurate than just looking as signal bars / dots).

I seriously wonder if this would be a solution for my Airave. I couldn't stay connected to it to save my life. I have since moved from the condo I was in where I needed it, in my house now it would just be a convenience and give me coverage in my basement. In the next week or so I'll have to plug it back in and play around with it to see what happens. FYI, you can see exactly which tower you're connected to by entering the Field Test Mode and checking the Base ID info for both 1x and EVDO (LTE screen have more info). To enter Field Test Mode just dial *3001#12345#* and then call. The Airave Base ID was always something much longer than the tower servicing my house and was easy to see which it was connected to (and more accurate than just looking as signal bars / dots).

I use field test mode constantly if I do a speed test. I want to see what site ID I am connected to and correlate that to my speed tests in the past to see if this whole "overcrowding" issue is going to start working its way to Orlando.

In the almost 3 hours I have been watching, my phone has not dropped from full bars once. When I had data on for the past few weeks, it drops the airave signal randomly and constantly. This is probably another reason my phone was dying. My temporary solution is to just leave data off when at home. I don't need it because my wifi is 50x faster, and at least now my calls will not drop. The permanent solution is 800, and I can speak for everyone in Orlando(and the country)....We are ready! 

I have the 5S, so I should get even better battery life than your wife. And yet, no. Newest iOS update available. I was told by a Sprint rep they are coming out with an airave that can boost LTE. If so, I am going to inquire about it and have it switched out. I think I might just do that now. 

the 5s isn't going to be better than the 5 due to the large number of extra features.  

the 5s isn't going to be better than the 5 due to the large number of extra features.

I personally get more battery life out of my 5s than I did with my 5. I think the touch ID and M7 processor chips have little to no effect on battery life: everything else is user controlled by activating or deactivating push notifications, background refresh apps etc. Often my friends iPhones 5's not 5S (att and sprint phones) both of theirs die before mine... Even though att has superior coverage which would lead to a higher battery life. Just my experience. I am sure it varies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk