Sprint T&C on new plans (like Framily), "Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability."

BradF79

My wife and I are on the old unlimited plan ("Everything Data" and we are eligible for upgrades, but I keep seeing this new line in T&C about other plans receiving prioritized bandwidth.  What does it mean?  My wife and I have enough problems with consistent data as it is (both have HTC EVO LTE).  I'm not sure whether it's our phones, Sprint's network, or what, but reading that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about staying with Sprint either.  Granted there is only one other budget carrier (whose name I don't think I can say based on the sticky). 

My wife and I are on the old unlimited plan ("Everything Data" and we are eligible for upgrades, but I keep seeing this new line in T&C about other plans receiving prioritized bandwidth. What does it mean? My wife and I have enough problems with consistent data as it is (both have HTC EVO LTE). I'm not sure whether it's our phones, Sprint's network, or what, but reading that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about staying with Sprint either. Granted there is only one other budget carrier (whose name I don't think I can say based on the sticky).

They reserve the right to limit video streams to 1mbps on the unlimited for life guaranteed plans (unlimited my way, my all in, framily with unlimited add on). I've been on these plans for a while now and have yet to notice any throttling. For a short time I thought they were actually doing it until I realized YouTube was defaulting to standard quality when on mobile data. A quick settings change and I was back to clear video and sucking away data.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My wife and I are on the old unlimited plan ("Everything Data" and we are eligible for upgrades, but I keep seeing this new line in T&C about other plans receiving prioritized bandwidth.  What does it mean?  My wife and I have enough problems with consistent data as it is (both have HTC EVO LTE).  I'm not sure whether it's our phones, Sprint's network, or what, but reading that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about staying with Sprint either.  Granted there is only one other budget carrier (whose name I don't think I can say based on the sticky). 

I haven't had the chance to go crazy with LTE but if it ever become available in my apartment I'll use it instead of my wifi and see what happens. I have the everything shared plan from 3 years ago, and I have never really noticed data slowing down....that is when I am not connected to legacy equipment lol

I'll use it instead of my wifi and see what happens.

Are you saying, use it instead of your WiFI for testing purposes or permanently? If permanently, I think that's a bad idea as your WiFi is going to perform better than LTE and that's just putting unnecessary traffic on the network.

• Like 2

Are you saying, use it instead of your WiFI for testing purposes or permanently? If permanently, I think that's a bad idea as your WiFi is going to perform better than LTE and that's just putting unnecessary traffic on the network.

Never permanently. I am not one of those people that would do that. I just want to see how much I could clock in a month with an actual LTE signal. Don't worry though. I don't watch videos on my phone very often. I have a mbp and iPad for that. Anything that is used on my phone is typically this forum, texting, or apps that don't really consume much like reddit, or fb. I refuse to abuse LTE when it comes out. 

• Like 3

Brad,

If you still have the two EVO LTE phones, they are well known as Poor Performers on LTE.  I had one for about 5 days and I was so frustrated that I took it back to Sprint before my 14 days was up. Your next phones SHOULD surely be better.

• Like 1

It only is related to video streaming.  If you never do video streaming, you will never be throttled on the new plans.  If you do video streaming on the new plans, you may be limited to 1Mbps throughput speeds if the network is congested.  However, if you are watching video on your device, 1 Mbps is sufficient for most instances.  And it will still be unlimited.

This is nothing to worry about unless you are a data abuser.  This policy is to prevent people from streaming HD video to their 60" TV's using the Sprint network.  As the resolution they would receive at 1Mbps would drive them bonkers.  And rightfully so.

Robert

Does anyone else realize that Sprint's unlimited for life does not mean unthrottled for life? Sprint can limit data speeds and start charging more for faster speeds in the future with no breach in their T&C. Something to think about.

Does anyone else realize that Sprint's unlimited for life does not mean unthrottled for life? Sprint can limit data speeds and start charging more for faster speeds in the future with no breach in their T&C. Something to think about.

That shouldn't be a problem unless you want to stream hd video to your 80 in tv. If so then you should pay more.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Think about what? No one is signing a contract for life. All the risk in this deal is on Sprint. We will be free to leave if we don't like what Sprint changes. Especially as contract subsidies go away.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Think about what? No one is signing a contract for life. All the risk in this deal is on Sprint. We will be free to leave if we don't like what Sprint changes. Especially as contract subsidies go away.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Good point Robert!

• Like 1

That shouldn't be a problem unless you want to stream hd video to your 80 in tv. If so then you should pay more.

I've run 480 line video of Nova and Frontline from PBS.org on my MB855 via HDMI to my television over CDMA. Picture actually isn't half bad. It isn't like I do it all the time, though. That day, my internet connection took a dump while I was watching Nova online, and I was really sick. I think I used about 4 hours and hit about 1.5GB on that line all month.

I've run 480 line video of Nova and Frontline from PBS.org on my MB855 via HDMI to my television over CDMA. Picture actually isn't half bad. It isn't like I do it all the time, though. That day, my internet connection took a dump while I was watching Nova online, and I was really sick. I think I used about 4 hours and hit about 1.5GB on that line all month.

I don't think 1.5GB is abusive. Do you have an issue with the picture and sound matching up?