Sprint sets a new record

jamisonshaw125

I've been pretty excited ever since I heard Sprint was partnering up with NSN. The only thing about T-Mobile I was impressed by was the NSN equipment used. I expect more exciting things to come from this partnership. Spark is just getting started.

• Like 1

Don't look at Kevin Fitchard's article on it. That guy is quite butthurt.

I would not use the term "butthurt."  However, everything Kevin writes now about Sprint does come with a big "but."  And that is too bad because Kevin is a solid writer.  His editorializing directed toward Sprint, though, is becoming quite annoying.  As I recall, he uses T-Mobile for his personal lines, so this is likely another case of tech press magenta bias.  Honestly, I wish they would just stop writing about Sprint altogether.  Go write more stories about how cool and "disruptive" John Legere is.

AJ

• Like 12

I would not use the term "butthurt."  However, everything Kevin writes now about Sprint does come with a big "but."  And that is too bad because Kevin is a solid writer.  His editorializing directed toward Sprint, though, is becoming quite annoying.  As I recall, he uses T-Mobile for his personal lines, so this is likely another case of tech press magenta bias.  Honestly, I wish they would just stop writing about Sprint altogether.  Go write more stories about how cool and "disruptive" John Legere is.

AJ

This sums up my feelings pretty well too.

Robert

That is pretty impressive! I know it is not realistic to expect that to be achieved in smartphones of now. But. I can see how this shows sprints is not kidding around.

Sprint is conservatively projecting their TD-LTE buildout.

Also, T-Mobile has had far less to do in their LTE buildout. Their network modernization was far more of an evolutionary step opposed to Sprint rebuilding the whole network. 3GPP Long Term Evolution, mind you, not 3GPP2 Long Term Evolution. Of course Sprint's rebuild is far more complex and fraught with obstacles than TMUS adding a Flexi here and putting an RRU there. Complete and total apples and oranges comparison.

Sprint is outspending TMUS 2 to 1 on average in capital build, at some point the reality will surface again and T-Mo will realize they're going to get outgunned in the bandwidth battle, and at that point they'll be back at the table.

• Like 2

If you don't like Kevin's article, I would stay away from DSLReports as well.

DSLR is skeptical about everything. They do some good things in questioning the duopoly so I tend to be less angry when DSLR says things like that.

• Like 2

DSLR is skeptical about everything. They do some good things in questioning the duopoly so I tend to be less angry when DSLR says things like that.

That's true. However, while Karl Bode has no problems in taking At&t, Verizon and Sprint to task, I can't recall him ever having much of an ill word towards t-Mobile even before St. Legere arrived. Even when T-Mobile was bleeding subscribers, I don't remember a peep. Of course, every quarter that Sprint recorded a loss of subscribers he had it front & center.

His biggest thing for a few years was his incessant predictions that Sprint would ditch unlimited data. Eventually I guess he got tired of looking silly on that one. So now I guess he's figured out that if he puts any story about Sprint out there and puts a slightly negative spin on it he's usually rewarded with a plethora of clicks and comments. And as can be seen, the usual suspects are only too eager to play along every time.

• Like 5

AJ

Same way i feel about Sasha Segan of PC Mag.

Should I post my rebuttal on here on GigaOm?

Make it so number one.

TS

Make it so number one.

Number One, I order you to go take a number two -- directly on the Gigaom article.

AJ

• Like 2

Don't see it. Are we talking about this link or another?

TS out (searching for the link)

I'm assuming he deleted it.  I also replied under "Guest," which I'm sure will be deleted.  I didn't even try to be nice:

Kevin, why don’t you quote something other than your own article about Sprint’s rank in terms of coverage footprint? Try http://www.sensorly.com, which is based on actual data. I know you might not like the truth, but Sprint has the 2nd largest LTE coverage footprint, behind Verizon. You may be right on speeds (for now…not so much 6 months from now), and there are studies to back that up, but there is no data to back up your erroneous claim that they have the smallest footprint. It’s simply not true.

I'm assuming he deleted it.  I also replied under "Guest," which I'm sure will be deleted.  I didn't even try to be nice:

Kevin, why don’t you quote something other than your own article about Sprint’s rank in terms of coverage footprint? Try http://www.sensorly.com, which is based on actual data. I know you might not like the truth, but Sprint has the 2nd largest LTE coverage footprint, behind Verizon. You may be right on speeds (for now…not so much 6 months from now), and there are studies to back that up, but there is no data to back up your erroneous claim that they have the smallest footprint. It’s simply not true.

I have not known Kevin nor Gigaom to expunge comments, though they might be moderated.  I hope the comments have not been deleted.  If so, that represents a definite change in tone at Gigaom.

As for Sensorly, I think I know what, if any Kevin's response will be.  Sensorly relies solely on user submissions, so that does not necessarily present a level playing field for all wireless operators.  Now, the problem I have with that is the assumption that Sprint users map more on Sensorly than do other wireless subs.  Even if that is true, why?  And what does that say about Sprint users? Are they more personally invested in their wireless network?  If so, is that a bad thing?

AJ

• Like 6

I tried again with a different message making the same points under a different username that would indicate I'm far more friendly to T-Mobile on my iPhone with a Verizon IP address over LTE. I'm wondering if my IP didn't get put in some sort of GigaOm trap... which I would find odd since I don't think I've ever commented there before today.  :rolleyes: