Number of EVDO carriers per sector in the Chicago market?

briank101

With LTE, the network can tell your phone to move to a different carrier so it can balance the load that way. In this way adding another carrier will improve network speeds. Simply moving users from a very congested carrier to a less congested one will improve the speeds for the users. Their THEORHETICAL top speed won't improve, but simply dividing up the load (not through aggregation, just moving some users to the other 5x5 carrier) will improve their real life performance.

That's LTE multi-carrier technology. Not all vendors have support for it. Maybe all Network Vision vendors do, but I've only confirmed NSN and Samsung gear to have it.

That seems anti factual, Neal.  If that were true, then a 10 MHz FDD carrier would be able to provide disproportionately greater peak speeds than could a 5 MHz FDD carrier.  However, that is not the case.  So, I would like to see some evidence to support your assertion.

AJ

I believe the problem is substantially more evident with 1.4MHz/3MHz to 5MHz carriers. If I remember correctly, the overhead subcarrier set size does not change based on the total carrier size. This means that the ratio of data subcarriers to overhead subcarriers becomes a problem at small carrier sizes.

And note that I was comparing a wide carriers against aggregated carriers, which it will beat on downlink performance because carrier aggregation necessarily cannot offer the same performance that a wide LTE carrier can. This is because each carrier being aggregated has its own set of overhead subcarriers, which subtracts from the overall available data subcarriers. 

That's LTE multi-carrier technology. Not all vendors have support for it. Maybe all Network Vision vendors do, but I've only confirmed NSN and Samsung gear to have it.

I have seen lots of Sprint docs that reference network initiated load balancing with Network Vision equipment.  I have not seen any caveats due to OEM.  Which there are often when one of the vendors cannot provide the noted feature.

Robert

• Like 1

I believe the problem is substantially more evident with 1.4MHz/3MHz to 5MHz carriers. If I remember correctly, the overhead subcarrier set size does not change based on the total carrier size. This means that the ratio of data subcarriers to overhead subcarriers becomes a problem at small carrier sizes.

In terms of subcarriers to spectrum bandwidth, all FDD configurations are the same -- with one exception.  The 1.4 MHz FDD configuration is the outlier.  Otherwise, all others scale linearly with spectrum bandwidth:  5 MHz FDD contains 300 subcarriers, 10 MHz FDD contains 600 subcarriers, 15 MHz FDD contains 900 subcarriers, etc.

Additionally, I am not seeing the overhead issue that you state because the peak carrier speeds -- assuming a Category 4 UE -- also scale linearly with those bandwidths and subcarriers.

AJ

In terms of subcarriers to spectrum bandwidth, all FDD configurations are the same -- with one exception.  The 1.4 MHz FDD configuration is the outlier.  Otherwise, all others scale linearly with spectrum bandwidth:  5 MHz FDD contains 300 subcarriers, 10 MHz FDD contains 600 subcarriers, 15 MHz FDD contains 900 subcarriers, etc.

Additionally, I am not seeing the overhead issue that you state because the peak carrier speeds -- assuming a Category 4 UE -- also scale linearly with those bandwidths and subcarriers.

AJ

Category 4 UE won't have carrier aggregation. All LTE CA devices are Category 6 UE. And all UE categories are done with the assumption you are using a single carrier channel. Carrier aggregation throughput differs from the maximum defined throughput for a UE category.

• 3 weeks later...

Category 4 UE won't have carrier aggregation. All LTE CA devices are Category 6 UE. And all UE categories are done with the assumption you are using a single carrier channel. Carrier aggregation throughput differs from the maximum defined throughput for a UE category.

I just caught up with this discussion.  I am not sure why carrier aggregation entered the equation.  I was referencing the total capacity of standalone carriers.  In such case, two 5 MHz FDD carriers equal one 10 MHz FDD carrier, for example.

AJ