Phone Insurance a rip off?

z250kid

And this is why I'm glad I'm not living in Kansas..

Yeah, right, it is not like the South is known for its obesity problem.  Go have your Publix fried chicken and sweet tea.

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Yeah, right, it is not like the South is known for its obesity problem.  Go have your Publix fried chicken and sweet tea.

:P

AJ

What a coincidence, I am having Publix fried chicken, Mac and cheese and sweet tea right now for lunch. Nothing wrong with a little Southern thickness.

• Like 4

What a coincidence, I am having Publix fried chicken, Mac and cheese and sweet tea right now for lunch. Nothing wrong with a little Southern thickness.

Or us folks in the Upper Plains, with our Northern overExposure.  :lol:

Robert

• Like 3

I received a letter saying the deductible for top tier phones will be 200 with a max of 3 in store fix/replacement after that will be a 25 or 35 fee don't remember correctly.

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Really? I guess I should get an AMEX prepaid card.

Yeah, good luck with that American Express prepaid card.

AJ

I have a broken USB on my EVO LTE and will just have a friend replace it. $150 is ridiculous. I was always a Nextel customer, so handsets were expensive. It was $35 until this phone (and less per month).

I went through two or three EVO 4Gs, three EVO 3Ds (though one came jacked up). Usually its a weak charging port. Wireless charging should help with that.

The only time I've ever had non-USB physical damage to a smartphone was when 1) my work GS3 flew out of the flimsy holster and smashed into a wrought iron railing and 2) when I dropped it a few days later. Since getting it into my normal Seidio Convert case, no problems (even with its weak screen). Those Seidio cases have been on all of my HTCs. I'll never posses a phone without one of those cases.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Has no one heard of Worth Avenue Group?  Drop that TEP crap and get a College Plus coverage plan.  I pay 66.20 PER YEAR after finding a code on retailmenot and it covers all our phones - my phone, my wife's, my kid's, my TV's, dvd players, pc's, etc.  I believe it even covers clothing!

I've had my gs3 screen replaced and a tv covered.  $2000 PER CLAIM and only $25 deductible.

Check it out!

(I am not a paid person - I really tell everyone I know about this...)

• 2 months later...

I got a flier in the mail about the "free" coverage when paying for service with a Wells Fargo credit card just a couple weeks ago  - which is what I'm doing going forward.  Typically in the past I would take TEP for the first year on a new phone and then drop it once used price of the phone dropped to around $250.  Going forward I'm just going to stick with the "free" coverage.

Hey people, this isn't just insurance. It also covers repair of your phones at authorized service centers. As in your usb or earphone port damage, cracked screen replacement at service centers if they can.

:goodpost:

That is a great benefit.  I wonder how many people who have this coverage through Wells Fargo do not realize it and unnecessarily pay for insurance.

Robert

I definitely use my credit card benefits. Had to claim a Galaxy S3 on my Discover card the other day when its mainboard failed a year and a half after purchasing it.

Unfortunately, I only got back the $99+tax I paid for it with contract. Not having contract subsidies will definitely benefit people who don't take advantage of the new financing deals and buy their devices outright. When I finally get kicked off my EPRP plan, I'll definitely be buying every device outright to get the full extended warranty and accidental damage protection with the credit card companies.

• Like 2

You know, in relative terms, phone insurance is cheap compared to tablet insurance! That $13.00/mo for insurance on an iPad I'm paying $14.59/mo to own is hideous!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

You know, in relative terms, phone insurance is cheap compared to tablet insurance! That $13.00/mo for insurance on an iPad I'm paying $14.59/mo to own is hideous!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Applecare!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

i remember when i was paying $4 a month and only $50 deductible. i took it off years ago because it's just not worth it unless you're real careless person with your gadgets..

fruad is pretty much the reason why it's outrageously expensive. i think out of the many years i had it, i only had to use it once. i bet there were tons of people getting new phones every month, so it only made sense that the price had to go up to make up for all the fruad going on.

Edited by scub

• 4 weeks later...

I went with the Well Fargo credit card plan as well, I applied for that card just for that reason, and my Sprint bill is the only thing I charge to it. 

One thing to consider, if my phone breaks, I need an immediate replacement, I can't go for days without a phone while it's sent off for repair. For this reason, I'll probably always keep my Nexus 5 as a "spare" phone so if my primary phone breaks and needs to be sent in for repair, I'm not without a phone while I wait. 

I had a N5 replacement 4 days after I got it for my wife. She dropped it and cracked the screen. Paid the $100 and got a new phone the next day. Better than paying $400 for another phone.

David, what insurance do you have?