Say hello to the Framily (inexpensive but potentially confusing new Sprint group plan pricing)

No_name

So, here are the numbers for Framily vs. Unlimited My Way. I'm assuming One Up gets used on the latter, since that's the easiest comparison. If you get iPhones you come out ahead by $90 over two years by not using One Up, but you could buy an iPhone right now and convert to Framily later, even with the $15 per month surcharge, and gain the same effect. In other cases, phone subsidies are closer to $360 over two years, so you're losing less there.

Your not factoring in phones on one set of plans while factoring them in on the other. Even if every one bought nexus 5 on the new plans you would still need to take 350/24=14.58 a month Per line. Not everyone wants a nexus 5 however so that's a rather bad assumption. The problem with the plans is that you need to factor in the cost of the phone and when you do this you end up behind. So let's go for seven phones.
45*7=315 plus phones. Assume iPhones that is (650/24)7=190 roughly. Or 505.
Now unlimited my way 80+70+60+50+50+50+50=410
Phones 3 on one up at (27-15)3=36
Four on two year (200*4)/24=34
410+36+34=480. That is at the new plans sweet spot of 7, the gap widens with lines 8-10. Now most people don't need unlimited and 3 gig or 1 gig work for them so the plan is more flexible (older plan only has 1 gig) but like for like it is more. But the 15 dollar discount is going away so there is that and you are right it depends on how sprint does the early upgrade part too. If it is like tmobile (which I think it will be ) then it is not a good deal.

Good thing iPhones hold their resell value. Looks like I can go unsubsidized and sell my 5S for a 6 (hopefully tri-band by then) and pay what would have been the subsidized price with the cash I get from someone on Craigslist or Fleabay.

I've already got my sister & brother in law on board with 3 lines, my mom and dad with their two lines, and my wife and I with our two lines. Cha-ching!

• Like 2

Ok so what is the deal with people that are on contract that want to switch? Do they get to switch without the 15 dollar payment for a limited time or not?

What I got from reading the material is that there will be some kind of promotional period in which you will be able to switch with out paying the 15 dollars. That is the way I read it anyway, but we will have to see.

And at least some are speaking enthusiastically of Sprint -- a rarity among the magenta laced tech press.

Here is another positive article.  But the comments are the usual crap from the anti Sprint crowd.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57616821-94/sprints-new-framily-plans-offers-big-savings/

AJ

Just read through this whole thread, and something hasn't been addressed. Is this some kind of ploy or loophole to get people off of their recent "unlimited for life guarantee" plans? Does framily have that guarantee if choosing an unlimited data option?

/edit: found it in their FAQ section. Unlimited guarantee for life will be honored if the unlimited data is selected.

Yes until you run them out. There is a $15 charge because these plans do not factor in subsidy. Once your contract is up or you upgrade that $15 will drop off. For a limited time if you switch you will not get hit with the 15.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I just can't believe AJ hasn't posted a Youtube pun on the word 'framily' yet.

I have not seen it mentioned yet in any of the press releases, but the Framily plan was actually thought up by the late Kim Jong-il. 

AJ

• Like 7

Does anyone else think "Framily" was just Son saying "family" and being misheard on the American end? Then quickly covered up with the concoction of "friends plus family =framily."

Wouldn't it be framree then?

• Like 2

It's pretty cool that the term to ride out is only 12 months of framily to become upgrade eligible/contract free. This is a bonus 1 year of your contract knocked off for tons of people, especially if you signed up recently and switch to framily

I'd like Sprint to clarify how it works for existing users.  I know you can switch to the Framily plan if you're off contract or pay the additional $15/month, but the terms also mention you can't merge groups.  If I currently have a single line, and I know 6 other people with Sprint, am I considered my own group and therefore cannot merge with the other group?  So that means I'll need people new to Sprint to join onto my plan for the Framily discount?  Can any Sprint employees shed light on this?

Edited by avb

I'd like Sprint to clarify how it works for existing users.  I know you can switch to the Famiry plan if you're off contract or pay the additional $15/month, but the terms also mention you can't merge groups.  If I currently have a single line, and I know 6 other people with Sprint, am I considered my own group and therefore cannot merge with the other group?  So that means I'll need people new to Sprint to join onto my plan for the Famiry discount?  Can any Sprint employees shed light on this'll

seems like its the new referral program! Instead of giving us $100 they now give each $5 bucks off a month... 

It seems like they combined everything into a plan:

One up

Sprint Refer a friend 

Sero prices 

No contract plans

Comply with unlocking law

Competitive pricing against other carriers, MVNOs

• Like 1

I'd like Sprint to clarify how it works for existing users. I know you can switch to the Framily plan if you're off contract or pay the additional $15/month, but the terms also mention you can't merge groups. If I currently have a single line, and I know 6 other people with Sprint, am I considered my own group and therefore cannot merge with the other group? So that means I'll need people new to Sprint to join onto my plan for the Framily discount? Can any Sprint employees shed light on this?

Yes, existing customers can't merge together. Existing customers can only framily with new subs.

Too bad about that :( Maybe I can convince some people to switch.

Question: if a new account adds an existing account to its framily, can it add another existing account?

Let's say Robert signs up with Sprint again and adds AJ's existing account to his framily. Can he act as a hub on a wheel then add digiblur and others?

Anybody know the answer to this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I certainly hope this causes an excitement similar to that of  the "value carrier" enthusiasts who have been dancing gleefully around tmobile.  

As is obvious to anyone who observes my tapatalk device signature, I'm no longer using a Sprint device. 

I want to like these plans as much as Sprint tells me I will. And I want to come back to Sprint one day.  I have 3 lines... barely anyone I could get to join as a new customer... and almost all are financially unreliable. So, its not likely I will be able to organize a big crowd of users.  We use more than 1GB per line but could probably make the 3GB per line work.  Looks like 55+50+45+ 10+10+10 =  $180.    Two of us want to carry a note 3 and the other will use an owned device.  With a device price of $699, I have a ~$29 charge for each device per month, or a bill of roughly $238 for 24 months before taxes and surcharges. 

So, to join sprint today, I'm looking at a 24 month cost of $5,712

Meanwhile, new "devil" carrier is running me $184 a month with my 20% discount.  $4416 for 24 months + $400 device (2 GN3's @ 199, 3rd device owned outright) cost= $4,816

Is the extra $896 I would pay sprint worth it with 9 GB on Sprint vs. 8 GB on the other?  No.  

If I *must* have unlimited data, and plan on abusing it unmercifully, then Sprint could be the only option.  Sprint's unlimited scheme on these 3 lines, with my 20% discount, would bring me $198 a month + $29+$29 for devices= $256.00/m.   Or $6,144 for 24 months.   

Meanwhile, if I take that same $6,144 to new carrier, subtract $400 = $5,744 / 24 =  $239/m to spend.  New carrier's data share scheme would get me 20GB to share for $120/m  (after 20% discount) + 120  (3 smartphones) = $240 a month.  

So, my usage on the 3 lines will need to exceed 20GB total for Sprint's unlimited to make draw me in

Owning a device outright and saving is enticing.  And I like new devices often.....     But I simply cannot stomach the 24 month financial obligation here for using premium devices.    Maybe I'm just getting old and stuck in the old ways... and maybe I'll learn to look at that old device differently than I've been looking at my 7 year old , paid off vehicle ("make me replace you, please")  

While everyone praises this new post contract "freedom"...   I feel like we're in the twilight zone.   

If this really takes off for Sprint, the duopoly could be encouraged to adjust pricing up.   

I certainly hope this causes an excitement similar to that of the "value carrier" enthusiasts who have been dancing gleefully around tmobile.

As is obvious to anyone who observes my tapatalk device signature, I'm no longer using a Sprint device.

I want to like these plans as much as Sprint tells me I will. And I want to come back to Sprint one day. I have 3 lines... barely anyone I could get to join as a new customer... and almost all are financially unreliable. So, its not likely I will be able to organize a big crowd of users. We use more than 1GB per line but could probably make the 3GB per line work. Looks like 55+50+45+ 10+10+10 = $180. Two of us want to carry a note 3 and the other will use an owned device. With a device price of $699, I have a ~$29 charge for each device per month, or a bill of roughly $238 for 24 months before taxes and surcharges.

So, to join sprint today, I'm looking at a 24 month cost of $5,712

Meanwhile, new "devil" carrier is running me $184 a month with my 20% discount. $4416 for 24 months + $400 device (2 GN3's @ 199, 3rd device owned outright) cost= $4,816

Is the extra $896 I would pay sprint worth it with 9 GB on Sprint vs. 8 GB on the other? No.

If I *must* have unlimited data, and plan on abusing it unmercifully, then Sprint could be the only option. Sprint's unlimited scheme on these 3 lines, with my 20% discount, would bring me $198 a month + $29+$29 for devices= $256.00/m. Or $6,144 for 24 months.

Meanwhile, if I take that same $6,144 to new carrier, subtract $400 = $5,744 / 24 = $239/m to spend. New carrier's data share scheme would get me 20GB to share for $120/m (after 20% discount) + 120 (3 smartphones) = $240 a month.

So, my usage on the 3 lines will need to exceed 20GB total for Sprint's unlimited to make draw me in

Owning a device outright and saving is enticing. And I like new devices often..... But I simply cannot stomach the 24 month financial obligation here for using premium devices. Maybe I'm just getting old and stuck in the old ways... and maybe I'll learn to look at that old device differently than I've been looking at my 7 year old , paid off vehicle ("make me replace you, please")

While everyone praises this new post contract "freedom"... I feel like we're in the twilight zone.

If this really takes off for Sprint, the duopoly could be encouraged to adjust pricing up.

Your math is slightly off. All 3 of your lines would be 45. So 45+45+45+10+10+10 =165

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk