Say hello to the Framily (inexpensive but potentially confusing new Sprint group plan pricing)

No_name

That's the part that gets me.. It's like doing a voluntary repo so you can get into debt again with another. Is there any penalty for paying it off, keeping your equity, and getting another?

I think you are looking at it wrong. Since the cancele you last 12 payments they are in a sense buying the phone from you at a guaranteed price, 12xmonthly payments. If you think you can get a better price then you free to sell the phone and pay off the balance. Then to get a new phone your more than Likely going to do easy pay again (it's a better deal) so it amounts to the same thing.

Tethering is not included with out adding it to the line. Its 1gb for 10, 2 for 20, 6 for 50 and is a completely separate data bucket then the phones data allotment.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

That is a huge misstep that at least the unlimited data option doesn't include a small bucket of mobile hotspot for free.

Sent from my LG G2 LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a family plan with 4 different contract end dates, 3 of which aren't yet upgrade eligible. If I move these lines to the Framily plan, the lines which aren't upgrade eligible are still in a contract until their normal contract end dates, correct? Even though I move to Framily, technically I'll still have contracts on those lines?

I have a family plan with 4 different contract end dates, 3 of which aren't yet upgrade eligible. If I move these lines to the Framily plan, the lines which aren't upgrade eligible are still in a contract until their normal contract end dates, correct? Even though I move to Framily, technically I'll still have contracts on those lines?

Yes still in contact but they are waving or crediting the 15 dollar fee. If yo go with unlimited it shortens the contact to 12 months or less if you haven't renewed in 2014

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Does actually shorten the contract? Last time I read it I was under the impression you were still bound by your original term commitment but had the option to upgrade using easy pay after 12 months of consecutively paying the $20 unlimited data add on.

What do you think is going to happen for those who are on the Everything Plan?

I'm waiting to see what happens but I'm guessing you'll be on the hook to pay the price you always have but won't be eligible for upgrades. If you would want to upgrade, I'm thinking you'll have to go on Easy Pay and pay that in ADDITION to your Everything Plan.

So with upgrading going away, what's going to happen with people who are on the Everything plan?

To add to the above reply, you will probably be allowed to remain on your current plan while you are still under contract.  But once your contract has ended, if you make any change to your account, you will likely be required to switch to a new plan, as your current plan will no longer be available.  For example, even if you buy a new handset on eBay, activating that handset will probably necessitate a switch to a new plan.  Sprint does not want to support expired plans for years to come.  And those expired or soon to be expired plans include monthly subsidies, so they do not make sense under the new system.  As I stated in a previous post, which got me called "condescending," sticking with a plan that includes monthly subsidy but being unable to use a subsidized upgrade is foolish.

AJ

To add to the above reply, you will probably be allowed to remain on your current plan while you are still under contract.  But once your contract has ended, if you make any change to your account, you will likely be required to switch to a new plan, as your current plan will no longer be available.  For example, even if you buy a new handset on eBay, activating that handset will probably necessitate a switch to a new plan.  Sprint does not want to support expired plans for years to come.  And those expired or soon to be expired plans include monthly subsidies, so they do not make sense under the new system.  As I stated in a previous post, which got me called "condescending," sticking with a plan that includes monthly subsidy but being unable to use a subsidized upgrade is foolish.

AJ

If they are like Verizon, they won't require a switch simply for activating a phone. But if you finance a phone through them (Easy Pay) they will probably make you switch.

I'm waiting to see what happens but I'm guessing you'll be on the hook to pay the price you always have but won't be eligible for upgrades. If you would want to upgrade, I'm thinking you'll have to go on Easy Pay and pay that in ADDITION to your Everything Plan.

That was what I was thinking of doing, but I don't know now. Of course our upgrades aren't till May  and if my family did move, we would be paying more, unless we find people to do the Framily which I know no one and don't want to pick up strangers in the store.

AJ

Framily is a great deal for some Sprint users, like a single line user who can join a larger Framily, as one or two people dropping is only a $5 or $10 swing. And if you're on an ED1500 plan but four out of five lines only use 1gb data, you can save some money shifting your data limits - but Framily isn't the best deal for EVERY existing Sprint user. I think that's why you're hearing some folks that understand but aren't thrilled by the new offer.

Whether Framily is supposed to "not include subsidy pricing" or not, Framily is not as good a deal as Everything Data 1500 family plan with five lines if you don't need more than 1500 minutes.

Five Framily lines with unlimited data = $275\month

ED1500 with five smartphones = $240

Even if you maximize the Framily discount, it's still $225 for five unlimited data lines, meaning yes you save $15 but you also realize you're giving up subsidies, so even upgrading ONE of your five lines, and you're probably back over that $240 you're paying with ED1500 (yes I realize discounted upgrades are likely going away, so that'll sting regardless). And that's not including that if a couple of your additional Framily members drop, your monthly cost goes up (and for those of us with five lines, two people dropping could be a $50 swing).

So those of us with four or five lines on a family plan right now aren't foolish for considering staying on these plans that supposedly include subsidization costs - it's likely less expensive, particularly if we don't want to hassle with finding more "framily" members or worrying about our bill going up because our friends decide to switch services. I think that's probably why it came across as condescending.

• Like 3

As I stated in a previous post, which got me called "condescending," sticking with a plan that includes monthly subsidy but being unable to use a subsidized upgrade is foolish.

AJ

I said you were condescending because you (1) told me I was wrong about the new plans having a higher price, even though I was right, (2) told me that it didn't matter anyway because of your opinion of the sustainability of Sprint's business model, and (3) called me foolish for my choice to stick with a cheaper plan that, in your opinion, may not allow me to upgrade anymore in the future, even though it would be cheaper for me to buy a new device outright and stick with the older plan that it would be for me to move to the new plan.

So those of us with four or five lines on a family plan right now aren't foolish for considering staying on these plans that supposedly include subsidization costs - it's likely less expensive, particularly if we don't want to hassle with finding more "framily" members or worrying about our bill going up because our friends decide to switch services. I think that's probably why it came across as condescending.

I will speak in multiple metaphors here.  I understand that these new plans may not be ideal for all, but that is just the way the cookie crumbles.  There will always be some collateral damage.  So, I still say it is "foolish" to cling to an old plan because you are swimming against the tide.  Subsidized upgrades are going away -- even if you continue paying built in monthly subsidies as part of your grandfathered plan.  Additionally, "unlimited" data is going to cost you a substantial premium -- as it should because it is not sustainable for the masses.

The solution is to get with the program.  Through self control and Wi-Fi offloading, get your data usage down to reasonable amounts.  With the 3 GB tier, your example of the five line Framily plan can cut its costs by $50 per month.  Better yet, it can double those savings to $100 per month with the default 1 GB option.

The writing is on the wall.  You are going to pay full price for your device upgrades.  And you are going to pay more than before if you want "unlimited" data.  If you cannot make that work, then you probably should start looking at other wireless providers.

AJ

• Like 1

Makes me wonder what will happen to the MVNO's as at that point it makes no sense to go with any major carrier. Too bad their isn't more N5 devices to just try out each carrier and pick which works the best for your area.

• Like 1

I will speak in multiple metaphors here. I understand that these new plans may not be ideal for all, but that is just the way the cookie crumbles. There will always be some collateral damage. So, I still say it is "foolish" to cling to an old plan because you are swimming against the tide. Subsidized upgrades are going away -- even if you continue paying built in monthly subsidies as part of your grandfathered plan. Additionally, "unlimited" data is going to cost you a substantial premium -- as it should because it is not sustainable for the masses.

The solution is to get with the program. Through self control and Wi-Fi offloading, get your data usage down to reasonable amounts. With the 3 GB tier, your example of the five line Framily plan can cut its costs by $50 per month. Better yet, it can double those savings to $100 per month with the default 1 GB option.

The writing is on the wall. You are going to pay full price for your device upgrades. And you are going to pay more than before if you want "unlimited" data. If you cannot make that work, then you probably should start looking at other wireless providers.

AJ

I think your math is off. 5 lines on framily with 3 gig cost (35+10)5=225. On the 1500 everything data 120+(30)4=240, a 15 dollar differences. But your general point is wright. The price for unlimited has gone up and really it has to. And it went up with the last plan changed sprint made.

I seriously don't understand people who don't get that wireless costs are going up. We use these device more than we ever have and for more than we ever have. why should the cost remain the same., especially when we are using up more of what is a finite resource.

• Like 1

I said you were condescending because you (1) told me I was wrong about the new plans having a higher price, even though I was right, (2) told me that it didn't matter anyway because of your opinion of the sustainability of Sprint's business model, and (3) called me foolish for my choice to stick with a cheaper plan that, in your opinion, may not allow me to upgrade anymore in the future, even though it would be cheaper for me to buy a new device outright and stick with the older plan that it would be for me to move to the new plan.

And then you revealed that you are on one of the so called "referral" plans.  That changes the arithmetic altogether.

Now, you can certainly call this "condescending," but I sincerely hope part of the new no subsidy system is to sweep out the SERO and other "referral" plan chaff.  Sprint has too many double super secret "Do you know Russ?" plans.  Those need to go away yesterday, and I really do not care if many of you then leave Sprint out of spite.

As for "unlimited" data, if you think it is only my "opinion" that it is unsustainable under the current system, you really are "foolish."  You just believe what is convenient for your own usage profile.

AJ

• Like 1

I think your math is off. 5 lines on framily with 3 gig cost (35+10)5=225. On the 1500 everything data 120+(30)4=240, a 15 dollar differences. But your general point is wright. The price for unlimited has gone up and really it has to. And it went up with the last plan changed sprint made.

That is a previous poster's math, not my math.  I do not care to keep up with the costs of new plans, old plans, referral plans, etc.  But the numbers that I stated for data tiers are accurate:  $0 per month for 1 GB, $10 per month for 3GB, and $20 per month for "unlimited."  Multiply those by five lines on a Framily plan, and you arrive at the $50 per month and $100 per month that I cited.

AJ

I will speak in multiple metaphors here.  I understand that these new plans may not be ideal for all, but that is just the way the cookie crumbles.  There will always be some collateral damage.  So, I still say it is "foolish" to cling to an old plan because you are swimming against the tide.  Subsidized upgrades are going away -- even if you continue paying built in monthly subsidies as part of your grandfathered plan.  Additionally, "unlimited" data is going to cost you a substantial premium -- as it should because it is not sustainable for the masses.

The solution is to get with the program.  Through self control and Wi-Fi offloading, get your data usage down to reasonable amounts.  With the 3 GB tier, your example of the five line Framily plan can cut its costs by $50 per month.  Better yet, it can double those savings to $100 per month with the default 1 GB option.

The writing is on the wall.  You are going to pay full price for your device upgrades.  And you are going to pay more than before if you want "unlimited" data.  If you cannot make that work, then you probably should start looking at other wireless providers.

AJ

Unlimited data may be unsustainable, but if this is really a monster of a problem, this is a monster Sprint created by pushing unlimited so hard for the last few years. If they're just now realizing their mistake and trying to reign in the data use a little bit, that's fine. But let's not pretend that the importance of unlimited data is the consumers fault - Sprint has been telling us or years it's what we want and that it's way better than metered data.

• Like 2

And then you revealed that you are on one of the so called "referral" plans.  That changes the arithmetic altogether.

I also showed the math for the normal consumer plans so that you wouldn't say this exact thing.

Now, you can certainly call this "condescending," but I sincerely hope part of the new no subsidy system is to sweep out the SERO and other "referral" plan chaff.  Sprint has too many double super secret "Do you know Russ?" plans.  Those need to go away yesterday, and I really do not care if many of you then leave Sprint out of spite.

I agree, and I wouldn't be surprised if EPRP does go away once Framily becomes the norm.

As for "unlimited" data, if you think it is only my "opinion" that it is unsustainable under the current system, you really are "foolish."  You just believe what is convenient for your own usage profile.

AJ

My opinion is that prices have risen twice in the last few years to improve the sustainability of unlimited data, and that Sprint will continue to offer it as (1) many people only stay with Sprint because of it, and (2) they just ran a massive advertising campaign to guarantee "unlimited data for life".

My opinion is NOT that they are unjustified in increasing prices; rather, it is that they are using the new non-subsidized plans to attempt to mask the overall price impact, just as magenta has admitted to their investors that they are doing. They are counting on the consumer to be "foolish" about it and not notice that they are only shifting the numbers around on paper, and that's the part I don't care for. But that's what businesses do.

• Like 2

That is a previous poster's math, not my math.  I do not care to keep up with the costs of new plans, old plans, referral plans, etc.  But the numbers that I stated for data tiers are accurate:  $0 per month for 1 GB, $10 per month for 3GB, and $20 per month for "unlimited."  Multiply those by five lines on a Framily plan, and you arrive at the $50 per month and $100 per month that I cited.

AJ

The math is fine, I just included two examples in my original message (Framily with 5 versus Framily with 7). It was part of the point I was making about Framily - those with more lines are more impacted by this because a 5 versus 7 Framily is a $50 difference, so there's a bit of footwork on the customers part now if we want to ensure our bill doesn't jump up $50 but only want to maintain our existing five lines (and find others to get the cost down to something similar to the existing ED1500.

My opinion is that prices have risen twice in the last few years to improve the sustainability of unlimited data, and that Sprint will continue to offer it as (1) many people only stay with Sprint because of it, and (2) they just ran a massive advertising campaign to guarantee "unlimited data for life".

And I am not saying that "unlimited" data is unsustainable overall -- that is why I used the qualifier "under the current system," which basically encourages data usage by including "unlimited" in the core plan.  If people want "unlimited" data, they need to see that it costs considerably extra and that they have lower cost options if they are willing to manage their data usage.

AJ

If true that this will happen over next month or so, then this means that they will break the current contract with 1500 family plan folks to force people over to FRAMILY etc.  We just upgraded 2 of 4 lines.  So, this will mean that i may look into other carriers without termination fees?  

Sprint will lose me if they force me to FRAMILY bc the cost will be higher.  If they will "grandfather" me, then i will stay.  No big loss for me.  Might hurt Sprint more if more folks leave Sprint over this.  

Sprint right now does not have the coverage (nor speed) to really call the shots and act arrogant like Verizon or ATT.

Edited by tigmd99
  • Like 4

As I said earlier after I switched to framily plan I called and said I wanted to leave for a while and was told I would have to pay an ETF of $180 or wait until October before I leave.

Sent from my SPH-L900